U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 10:37 AM

74,850 posts, read 87,256,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
I am from Pasadena as well. Agreeing with the others, if you wish for your kids to attend public schools, avoid Pasadena.

My first choice would be La Canada personally. I love it there. Arcadia, South Pasadena, San Marino. Even La Crescenta is decent.

Your realtor should be able to point you towards schools as well.

Dawn
depending on income and budget I too would recommend La Canada, but I also love Arcadia and So Pasadena as well as San Marino. Any of these would be great choices. I wonder what the OP decided to do.

Stuff Shredman, Chapman Woods is an awesome and beautiful area plus I have always loved San Rafeal Hills and the area surrounding The Rosebowl, but all are still Pasadena schools. Sierra Madre is another nice area. I do think though the OP would be better off in a city with overall good schools. I know not all Pasadena Schools are bad, some are outstanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 04:54 PM

304 posts, read 841,204 times
Pasadena is great!

It is a small town within a huge metropolis.
Old Town has good restaurants, shopping, galleries, and mingling
It has the Rose Bowl, the Aquatic Center
www.rosebowlaquatics.com

The housing stock all thru town is handsome; lots of cratfsman, spanish, colonial, and ranches.
South Pas is good. La Canada/Flintridge is fabulous and better than la Crescenta. San Marino is great but overpriced.
But hey, we say 'location, location, location' but the house itself is key also.

There are good schools. And you are 12 miles from downtown LA for other sporting events and theatre etc.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:25 PM

74,850 posts, read 87,256,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffavail View Post
Pasadena is great!

It is a small town within a huge metropolis.
Old Town has good restaurants, shopping, galleries, and mingling
It has the Rose Bowl, the Aquatic Center
www.rosebowlaquatics.com

The housing stock all thru town is handsome; lots of cratfsman, spanish, colonial, and ranches.
South Pas is good. La Canada/Flintridge is fabulous and better than la Crescenta. San Marino is great but overpriced.
But hey, we say 'location, location, location' but the house itself is key also.

There are good schools. And you are 12 miles from downtown LA for other sporting events and theatre etc.
I know you are pro Pasa and it does have lots of positives, but So Pasadena as well as Arcadia and some of the other areas may be overpriced in your mind, but there is a reason for this. yes, there are good schools in Pasadena, but overall the schools are not rated in the same catagory with the surrounding areas. As for the beauty of the Pasadena homes, I completely agree with you. I grew up in San Rafeal Hills (well didn't grow up there, but lived there as a teen) and we lived in Altadena when our kids were young. We had the typical old Spanish home, what a delight and what a showplace, even though we were living on a modest mid management salary at the time. WE moved to Arcadia, and had a home exactly 1/2 the size for more money: why? to get our kids in better schools.

Nita

Old 07-29-2010, 04:06 PM

99 posts, read 510,474 times
Pasadena is a great move. What you might not already know is that there is a train that will take you to Downtown LA, Long Beach, Hollywood & San Fernando Valley. There is a large & quite nice flea market held at the Rose Bowl. Pasadena is also big on debutante balls and philanthropy, but still manages to be quite diverse.

However, if you'd rather not spring for a decent private school, I'd suggest you take your $1.5 million and lay it down in neighboring La Canada-Flintridge. La Canada has an excellent school system that is much cheaper than Polytechnic's $25,000 tuition. Your budget will also allow you entrance into highfalutin' San Marino, but you'll probably get less for your money. San Marino is mostly Chinese & has lots of ordinances. Go to realtor.com and have a look at La Canada's housing stock. There are plenty of older (by LA standards) homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or