Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2010, 09:17 PM

19 posts, read 59,686 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks,
So, We are thinking of starting to look for a house after being in LA for almost a year now. Our Budget is $600k or around that figure. We would like to get recommendations on areas with following criteria:

1. Not a bad commute to Pasadena where I work
2. 3 Bedrooms, 2 Bath
3. Preferably Single Family, or Townhome with Backyard
4. Good Public Schools (OK to suggest areas where Private School will be necessary)
5. Desirable neighborhood (Does not have to be top notch)

Your suggestions are welcome. I have done some research but always helps to get some good suggestions.

Thanks,
Ashguy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 09:54 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Integrate this

California School Performance Maps

with

this

Real Estate Search | Redfin

Looks like La Canada, Altadena, La Cresenta and South Pasadena east through Arcadia/Monrovia

Old 07-27-2010, 10:20 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,722,396 times
South Pasadena might have something in that price range, although that's on the low end; public schools are great there, though, and the city is extremely family-friendly. Arcadia is a little cheaper and has good schools. I think La Canada is more expensive, but they have great public schools. Pasadena itself has have some nice options; the schools are PUSD which is more hit or miss, but there are some very good public schools and certainly lots of great (but expensive) private schools. I believe a small sliver of Pasadena falls within the San Marino school district lines; San Marino (which is very expensive) is known for their good schools. I think all of Altadena is in the PUSD district, but there are some nice houses up there, and some of the public schools might be good. Sierra Madre might have something in your price range (and is a very nice town right in the foothills), but the schools aren't on par (reputation-wise, anyway; not sure what the on-the-ground-reality is like, and can't remember if they're part of PUSD or another local district) with South Pasadena or La Canada.

You may also want to look into parts of Glendale or the Eagle Rock area of Los Angeles. Alhambra (just south of South Pasadena) is cheaper than South Pasadena, but has some very nice neighborhoods and I think the schools are okay.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:44 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
the first thing that does come to mind is So Pasadena, followed by Arcadia. I am not sure either are in your price range, but worth a try. After that, if private schools are an option why not look right in Pasadena. There are some awesome, kid friendly neighborhoods.

Nita

Old 07-28-2010, 05:42 AM

2,065 posts, read 2,160,192 times
Santa Clarita is a half hour commute.

City of Santa Clarita : Home

Old 07-28-2010, 06:46 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,722,396 times
I'm pretty sure Santa Clarita is more than half an hour from Pasadena.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:52 AM

1,084 posts, read 3,286,668 times
I'd try for Arcadia, Eagle Rock or South Pasadena. Sierra Madre and San Marino are nice but I doubt you will get a 3/2 for under 600k. It may even be tough in South Pasadena.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:06 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I'm pretty sure Santa Clarita is more than half an hour from Pasadena.
I was about to add the same thing, I don't know what time of the day one could get from Santa Clarita to Pasadena in 30 minutes or less? Maybe we are misisng something here.

Nita

Old 07-28-2010, 08:48 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Sierra Madre might have something in your price range (and is a very nice town right in the foothills), but the schools aren't on par (reputation-wise, anyway; not sure what the on-the-ground-reality is like, and can't remember if they're part of PUSD or another local district) with South Pasadena or La Canada.
Sierra Madre is part of the Pasadena school district.

Old 07-29-2010, 04:15 PM

19 posts, read 59,686 times
Hmm...Thanks for the replies so far. Yes South Pasadena is tough in $600 so I am thinking I'll have to go for $700 possibly...or just live close to Old Town Pasadena and opt for Private Schools (though schools is not a near term issue for us). Sierra Madre has some very nice 2006 built Townhomes for $650...those are definitely worth a look. I'll also look in Arcadia!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles