U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 12:41 PM

14 posts, read 28,423 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of a GOOD/NICE area that I would be able to move to?

I was looking Santa Clarita area. I know what you are thinking. "THATS FAR! FROM TORRANCE YOU WON'T WANT TO COMMUTE ON THE 405!!"

Well I work graveyard so traffic won't be a problem and to get from santa clarita its takes about 45min to my work, so thats not bad.

Are there any other areas that I am overlooking? Not the AV, I grew up in the AV and will not move back there.

House is priority, I know they are out there. I've seen them on sites i've been looking. If not a house then a town home. And if not a town home a nice condo.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 12:49 PM

7,141 posts, read 19,527,516 times
Even though Santa Clarita is pretty far removed the city, it is still not cheap to buy up there. I would guess that you wouldn't be able to get more than a 1, maybe 2 br condo for under $200,000.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
Even though Santa Clarita is pretty far removed the city, it is still not cheap to buy up there. I would guess that you wouldn't be able to get more than a 1, maybe 2 br condo for under $200,000.

There's stuff out there. I have a realitor sending me listings every other day, just was wondering if there are other options besides Santa Clarita. Maybe a little more close to torrance area.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:33 PM

7,141 posts, read 19,527,516 times
the valley, maybe parts of long beach.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:57 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,541,667 times
parts of long beach as well as parts of ING or CPT.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:47 PM

2,914 posts, read 4,749,698 times
Stay in the South Bay/Long Beach area for the non-long distance commuter lifestyle, for your own mental well being, though you'll be sacrificing "nice"--by which I assume either a new development or a comfortably established neighborhood--for something less than white picket fence "nice" but totally livable. Lakewood, parts of Bellflower, Paramount, even Long Beach. You may find something closer in Gardena, Carson or Hawthorne. At this price they'll be homes in working class or transitional areas, non-descript, probably pretty safe but that's a call made on inspection of any specific home. But you didn't mention kids/schools.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:51 PM

26,345 posts, read 84,701,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clandest View Post

Well I work graveyard so traffic won't be a problem and to get from santa clarita its takes about 45min to my work, so thats not bad.

Hold your horses. Graveyard is 12PM-8AM, right? You don't think you'll be in traffic heading north on the 405 at 800AM? Even if it is 11-7, you will have problems.

Married? Spouse work? Where?
Kids? Ages?

Rent for a while?

Old 08-07-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Hold your horses. Graveyard is 12PM-8AM, right? You don't think you'll be in traffic heading north on the 405 at 800AM? Even if it is 11-7, you will have problems.

Married? Spouse work? Where?
Kids? Ages?

Rent for a while?

I work around 2 am - 3am and get done around 10-12pm. Yes when I get off there will be a little traffic probably 20 mins worth around marina del ray. I see it on my way back to my warehouse. Its not bad but livable.

Its just me, now one else. I will rent the rooms out, but that doesn't matter.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:43 PM

5,998 posts, read 12,924,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
Stay in the South Bay/Long Beach area for the non-long distance commuter lifestyle, for your own mental well being, though you'll be sacrificing "nice"--by which I assume either a new development or a comfortably established neighborhood--for something less than white picket fence "nice" but totally livable. Lakewood, parts of Bellflower, Paramount, even Long Beach. You may find something closer in Gardena, Carson or Hawthorne. At this price they'll be homes in working class or transitional areas, non-descript, probably pretty safe but that's a call made on inspection of any specific home. But you didn't mention kids/schools.
I'll second Bunjee's thoughts on some closer places.

Look for a smaller condo closer. You may consider closer parts of OC such as Los Alimitos, Cerritos, Buena Park, etc... which are more affordable than Torrance. Also look at Lomita. Gardena has some nicer sections just north of El Camino College - El Camino Village.

Do you anticipate staying in the same job working the same hours for the 10+ years? The reason I ask is that while you currently have this setup chances are that at some point in the future things may change. Life is not a static thing even though the bank may look at your current situation as permanant. And if/when change occurs the drive will be insane unless working at Six Flags or somewhere further out.

Derek

Old 08-08-2009, 12:55 AM

4,261 posts, read 9,008,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
This^^^^ is not correct.

First off, there are very few listings in Santa Clarita. Of those that are there, the two bedroom condos are listed as low as $140K. If you expand the search to Canyon Country, there are quite a few listings with houses under 180K and condos as low as $110K.

Not sure why so few listings in SC and Valencia...maybe prices? I dunno. But it seems to me that area should be disastrously underwater considering the number of sales that occured 3-7 years ago. I'm guessing thats a prime area for future real estate disaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or