Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 03:23 PM

2,964 posts, read 5,430,392 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty OK to let people believe what they want to believe except when they make absolute assertions that are just plain wrong. Otherwise it's all fair game, and the fact is the stereotypes are true. I gave this warning to an actress friend who was set to move down here.

But I told her there was so much more too.

I think more than any city in the country because of pop culture and TV, Los Angeles is public domain. More than NYC, which is an experience jealously owned by New Yorkers (old, new, faux and true), LA belongs to everyone to Rorschach through. The whole response is what makes this such a fascinating town, where alongside its authenticity is its equally true manufacture.

This is something I as a native rarely gave much thought until I had to extricate meaning from the confusion of transplants. "It's so phoney!" they'd say, and I, looking around at the folks eating in a downtown Kentucky Fried Chicken dining room, thought, Really? What're they seeing that I'm not seeing? Literally and psychologically there's some displacement going on with that kind of response that wouldn't exist if LA didn't have some kind of cultural centrality. Positive, negative, both--I wouldn't have it be "neither".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 03:51 PM

55 posts, read 100,247 times
I agree CHiPs really shows off late 70s/early 80s L.A. better than any other show. It is kind of cheesy but interesting to watch.

It seemed like a lot of L.A. based shows of that era shot in the same part of town, so if you watch Adam-12 or Police Woman you see a lot of the same scenery.

Another show that really gives you a feel for 1970s L.A. is the Rockford Files.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,760,730 times
That's good you like LA and all, but it's still a dump. LA is a waste of time.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/PressCent..._Releases.html

LA ranked one of the worst cities along with Detroit and Atlanta by 3,400 respondents in survey.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:34 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,788,421 times
BergenCountyJohnny, here's another hot dog tip from someone who won't go to Pink's: Skooby's on Hollywood Blvd.

Of course, no trip to L.A. is complete without a trip to Oki Dog.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:44 PM

109 posts, read 445,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF49ers View Post

Press releases - TripAdvisor

LA ranked one of the worst cities along with Detroit and Atlanta by 3,400 respondents in survey.
And New York was rated as both the Most and Least Friendly City.

Meaningless survey.

Did the people have to have been to the places they were rating? What were the methods of this survey? Never believe any statistic unless it outlines its methods.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,760,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asielen View Post
And New York was rated as both the Most and Least Friendly City.
Why don't you think someplace can be voted "most" and "least" in a single category? It's really not that complex..simple statistics. It just reveals polarizing opinions.

Quote:
Did the people have to have been to the places they were rating? What were the methods of this survey? Never believe any statistic unless it outlines its methods
They obviously interviewed travelers using their service. LA is always at the bottom of these surveys anyway so it shouldn't be a shock.

Last edited by Americanboy; 08-08-2009 at 07:35 PM..

Old 08-08-2009, 09:34 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,270,277 times
Great post, BergenCountyJohnny! There is so much to do in Los Angeles such that I find people who bash Los Angeles don't take the time to experience it. These are people who have never driven the length of Mulholland on a lazy sunny day with the top down; never taken a day and spent it on Catalina; who have never experienced the varied restaurants and neighborhoods that are throughout the region.

It's easy to focus on the negative stereotypes, and quite difficult to chart a course for yourself to discover the true soul of the city. For some, it's not a great fit, but for those for whom LA, and SoCal, resonates, there's an instant affinity. Having lived in LA, I can say that there were days when I was ready to sour on LA, but that wasn't the city's fault, and the next day brought a renewed spirit. LA is far from perfect, but it makes up for its faults if one takes the time to explore.

I have known LA since childhood, so I didn't have an experience as you did where the city forced you to change your perspective. My earliest memories of the city are with my parents, who never allowed us to stereotype an area. They would push back on conventional stereotypes and tell us that we had to discover for ourselves what we felt about an area or a group, not to parrot back the tired language that the Vals were shallow and LA was a cultural wasteland.

What came close to an epiphany for me, however, after having appreciated the city for a long time was taking the time to study Hockney's Mulholland Drive. The painting spoke to me through the eyes of an outsider, since Hockney adopted LA as his home and Mulholland Drive represented his views on the storied city in it's colorful form, and huge size. To me, the vivid colors and renderings capture the charm that goes unseen in front of our eyes as we drive by, and since the painting is about driving on an iconic view street, it seems to encapsulate Los Angeles in all its glory.

Thanks for sharing your story. I really enjoyed it.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-09-2009, 10:45 AM

2,318 posts, read 7,818,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
It's easy to focus on the negative stereotypes, and quite difficult to chart a course for yourself to discover the true soul of the city.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Thanks for sharing your story with us Bergen... it's rare that a read a post that long from beginning to end but you had me hooked

Old 08-09-2009, 10:49 AM

2,318 posts, read 7,818,497 times
Quote:

I choose to believe people vote with their feet... and the 17 million people living in the metro area apparently don't agree with the 3,400 people in your survey.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:11 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,758,183 times
Quote:

The Niners Suck. Especially compared to the NY Giants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles