U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 03:16 AM

904 posts, read 1,672,236 times

Advertisements

If you want to get away from Winters, why not move to a state like Texas or North Carolina? Those two states have a pretty good economy in today's stadards, they don't get snow (NC gets very very little snow), and you'll be closer to home. Plus, their cheaper then California, at least North Carolina is. I don't live in LA, but I visit every year, and I have a friend there so I hear things from him. It's hard to find a job without a degree, and when you do find a job it doesn't pay much. A one bedroom apartment can run for $1,500 there. On top of that, you're going to school, paying for grocerys, and paying for public transportation to get around. I mean, I'm sure its doable and such if you really must move there, but it sounds like you're just going to make things harder for yourself. LA is a great place, as well as many other spots in California. However, it's not what you see on TV. It's expensive to live there, the economy is down right now, and for someone coming with nothing basically it's sure not going to be a vacation. I'd suggest looking into other states and cities as well. Lots of great places down south and on the east that don't get snow and are easier to "make it" in given your situation.

EDIT: I hope I'm not coming off as a douche, but I'm just giving you my insight. Just make sure you make the right decision. Weigh out the pros and cons. I'm glad to see you're visiting first though.

Last edited by gobucks86; 08-10-2009 at 03:25 AM..

Old 08-10-2009, 07:04 AM

2,497 posts, read 6,521,410 times
The whole L.A. gang thing is waaaay over rated in my opinion. I've been out there half a dozen times and drove, walked, took the bus all over L.A. and I never once encountered any problems with anyone whatsoever. I am a white guy, I'm 6'2" and 250 pounds. My size is no match for a bullet obviously, but it does seem to help me be less of a mark. Also I mind my own business, a gift my mother taught me at an early age. I look forward when I walk through "bad" areas but use my peripheral to take in anyone that could be a threat. You gotta be smart to the ways of the criminal, that's all.
I live by the "mind your own business" rule, to this day I have never been in trouble and never been mugged, picked on (except for here on CD), or in any fights. That don't mean I never will, but this rule seems to work for me.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:08 AM

2,497 posts, read 6,521,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
If you want to get away from Winters, why not move to a state like Texas or North Carolina? Those two states have a pretty good economy in today's stadards, they don't get snow (NC gets very very little snow), and you'll be closer to home. Plus, their cheaper then California, at least North Carolina is. I don't live in LA, but I visit every year, and I have a friend there so I hear things from him. It's hard to find a job without a degree, and when you do find a job it doesn't pay much. A one bedroom apartment can run for $1,500 there. On top of that, you're going to school, paying for grocerys, and paying for public transportation to get around. I mean, I'm sure its doable and such if you really must move there, but it sounds like you're just going to make things harder for yourself. LA is a great place, as well as many other spots in California. However, it's not what you see on TV. It's expensive to live there, the economy is down right now, and for someone coming with nothing basically it's sure not going to be a vacation. I'd suggest looking into other states and cities as well. Lots of great places down south and on the east that don't get snow and are easier to "make it" in given your situation.

EDIT: I hope I'm not coming off as a douche, but I'm just giving you my insight. Just make sure you make the right decision. Weigh out the pros and cons. I'm glad to see you're visiting first though.
Not bad advice really. I myself am seriously looking into New Mexico since my California dreams keep getting foiled due to economy and the cost of living there. ABQ to be exact. Looks like a nice city and not too bad weather. North Carolina...the male donor of my existence lives there and it looks kinda depressing and rednecky. I'd say stay west somewhere. NM, AZ, NV and maybe CA if there are any places in Ca that regular humans can afford to live in.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:42 AM

4,261 posts, read 9,010,386 times
Jebus some the advice in this thread is just awful.

#1. Carrying a gun in a holster IS NOT ILLEGAL. NOT ANYWHERE IN CALIFORNIA. Police agencies in Southern Kalifornia USED to arrest people for that. They stopped due to too many lawsuits. Now all they can do is stop and search you, even if the ammo is on the same holster(in a separate pouch).

#2. Don't &^&^%&^ carry a gun on you dude. Its dumb and just gonna get you in trouble. I guarantee you that someone will call the police everywhere you go. I also guarantee you that in a weeks period someone will lie and say you were waving the gun around. Aside of which there are a ton of crazy #&#(#& people in this city who will love to start stuff with you just cause you have the gun with you. DON'T BRING IT!

#3.) Sylmar is BFE as far as the rest of LA is concerned. Its about 20 miles north of downtown LA and not that great of an area anyway. As another poster pointed out, there is a Motel 6 in Hollywood. If you want to stay downtown....and I am so reluctant to suggest this....there is a crap hole thats trying very hard not to look like a crap hole, but still is called the Cecil Hotel. Its in the middle of where downtown nightlife happens. The problem is the place still takes vouchers from the hotel homeless downtown so its likely your neighbors will be drug addicts. Its the cheapest place downtown thats not a complete hell hole.

#4.) The gang problems at 500 S. Bonnie Brea are NO JOKE. Thats squarely in the middle of MS-13 gang territory and NOT A SAFE AREA. Its one of the worst areas of Los Angeles.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:35 AM

74,859 posts, read 87,274,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
The whole L.A. gang thing is waaaay over rated in my opinion. I've been out there half a dozen times and drove, walked, took the bus all over L.A. and I never once encountered any problems with anyone whatsoever. I am a white guy, I'm 6'2" and 250 pounds. My size is no match for a bullet obviously, but it does seem to help me be less of a mark. Also I mind my own business, a gift my mother taught me at an early age. I look forward when I walk through "bad" areas but use my peripheral to take in anyone that could be a threat. You gotta be smart to the ways of the criminal, that's all.
I live by the "mind your own business" rule, to this day I have never been in trouble and never been mugged, picked on (except for here on CD), or in any fights. That don't mean I never will, but this rule seems to work for me.
It is over stated like most things, but there are parts of Los Angeles that would better for most of us to stay away from unless we have to be there. I would stay clear of East L.A., Watts, and Compton for starters and yes, the Bonnie Brea area as well.

Nita

Old 08-10-2009, 10:39 AM

74,859 posts, read 87,274,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
Not bad advice really. I myself am seriously looking into New Mexico since my California dreams keep getting foiled due to economy and the cost of living there. ABQ to be exact. Looks like a nice city and not too bad weather. North Carolina...the male donor of my existence lives there and it looks kinda depressing and rednecky. I'd say stay west somewhere. NM, AZ, NV and maybe CA if there are any places in Ca that regular humans can afford to live in.
love that, the male donor!!! As for NM, you know how I feel, it is a great city and a good place to live with a relatively low cost of living compared to NV and Calif. As for the weather, that is the one of the best things about ABQ. The high desert keeps the temps down most of the time and the winters are sunshiney and delightful even if there are a few snow storms and a few really cold nights. The worst part, the desert winds in the spring. I hated them, they are miserable, dirty and even damaging sometimes.

Nita

Old 08-10-2009, 11:33 AM

6 posts, read 18,182 times
nmnita i stayed a whole summer in 2001 in compton, ca & worked at the beverly center not 1 time did a gang member approach me wrong because i did as i do here in the south bronx minded my business but i never ran into ms 13 only bloods crips and some spanish gangs

im coming there in 10 days im actually thinking of living there but idk really know the cost of living there but im sure it beats paying 1000 for a 1 bed in the hood

Old 08-10-2009, 11:45 AM

6 posts, read 18,182 times
Compton was confusing to me being that from New York you can automatically tell that you're in the hood our only grass is in the parks run down looking buildings ppl hanging out 20 deep in front of your apt building neighbors playing loud spanish music 1am in the morning hearing gunshots once a month & they sell 50 cent sodas in the stores now Compton has nicely painted houses front and back yards palm trees in the yard streets look pretty much clean so thats the thing u dont even know if you're in the hood or not

Old 08-10-2009, 11:52 AM

1,632 posts, read 2,398,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMinneapolis View Post

So to sum it up, anyone know about South Bonnie brae street?
I don't know about summer 2009 but a few years ago at least it was known as a place to buy heroin.

Most LA neighborhoods have grocery stores in walking distance but not sure about Bonnie Brae. I went to a MacArthur Park free concert a few weeks ago and stopped off at a 99 Cents store on the Alvarado side.

I am totally a pro-gun advocate as are many Californians but not a good idea to carry around for protection. Street smarts, good running shoes and maybe pepper spray would be better. Inside the home, a shotgun. Remember, a lot of people shot in LA or any urban environment are not the intented target.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:36 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,994,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMinneapolis View Post
Thanks for ALL the input lol its much appreciated. Heres the situation. I would be moving around 500 S bonnie brae st FYI. After doing some thinking Ive come to the conclusion im going to come out to LA an visit for a few weeks and catch a vibe of the city, see if its even a place I would WANT to live.

Minnesota is not so bad but the cold winter SUCKS...its unbearable. As far as paying for college, grants and loans basically. The thing is my parents want to give me some money but I am refusing it because I dont want them financing my life. I have to make it on my own, sure Ill take a little help (like the plane ticket to get there) but after that I want it to be up to me. They are spreading themselves thin enough as it is with the minimal help I accept, let alone what they want to give me to go. I just dont want to blow it. Right now im eligible for 5k$ in grants for school.

The thing is im somewhat of a survivalist which means I like to have some backup stuff (water, firearm, basic survival stuff). And where would I store/put these things if I just go out there with a duffle bag and no vehicle? How am I going to haul around grocerys an cases of water/food on a bus and walking through hoods. My next problem is personal safety. California has some seriously Moderator cut: language conceal an carry laws which burns my Moderator cut: language. They let all these thugs run around shooting but you gotta jump through burning hoops as a law abiding private citizen to carry a handgun. Anyway with that little rant aside, Im still on the fence. Like I said Im going to take a little vacation out there for a couple weeks and check out the scene and go from there.
For a survivalist LA would be a bad move,peoples idea of back up supplies here is a spare lipstick or Versace shirt. As for guns unless you personally know the Governor forget it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or