Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 09:11 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times

Advertisements

Aim high! Godspeed.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:57 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMinneapolis View Post
Hey everybody I appreciate all the words. Ive read every single post and gained alot of insight from your individual opinions and advice.

Basically ive realized the futility of my effort. I had a talk with my bro down there and his situation is not so good...In my desperation to do something with my life and get out of MN I overlooked alot of the negatives of the move.

Ive decided in order to better myself and further my legacy and not have to struggle like a bum in the hood of LA I will be joining the United States Air Force. Having lived as a civilian and working regular jobs and done some schooling, ive during that time contemplated military service for a couple years now, the realization of the crappy situation I would have in LA directed me to my decision.

I figured it would be like this...yeah I go down there, live in a grimy hood with my friend and his gf who are struggling as well in a studio apt that does not even have a kitchen, go down there with no vehicle, minimum funds and enroll in a community college that will put me into debt regardless, while trying to survive and work some BS burger job (i turn 24 this month and working some minumum wage pissant job is out of the question).

Im a previous government employee and I like that government check, added to the fact I will be performing a duty for the country while bettering myself in all aspects, learning new skills, meeting new people, traveling around, AND being able to go to school (which is completely paid for) while getting paid at the same time...well it really wasnt much of a decision for me at that point, my mind was made.

Again I appreciate all the advice, dont worry it wasnt all for naught...I will still be heading down there for a brief stint to visit my friend and my family before I get shipped out. Thanks again everyone, and no, none of your responses were douchey. =)
What a great decision: Good luck. Our son did something similar at exactly your age. I won't go into detail, but he joined the Army. It was one of the best things he ever did. The one thing he regrets, he didn't just stay in until he could retire, but that is another story.

Good luck to you, I am glad you did take what we were saying to heart.

Nita

Old 08-14-2009, 07:22 PM

171 posts, read 530,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Oh, how are you paying for LACC if you have absolutely no money?

Nita
Yeah, out-of-state fees for city colleges are huge.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:39 PM

399 posts, read 1,549,876 times
Best of luck to you, my friend! After four months, things have come together for me. But my tale was not without going hungry some days, and having some serious woes, and I've had experience making a move like this before!

I appreciate that you have balls about this, but be careful! Look around, as seriously, there are some shady people out here, it's LA, but we tend to forget there are also some really good people out here as well. Don't be afraid to try. But also, the job advice is good. It takes a waiting list to get into a retail store or grocery right now, and that's at $8.50 an hour! Seriously!

I'm starting at Santa Monica College this fall, and luckily, the light at the end of the tunnel for me is military college benefits, but it's still going to be hard. I've been homeless and urban camping since the day I arrived in LA, with a short two week stay in a room in Culver City. It's no joke out here, so have a plan. Google maps is good. Beware of parking should you urban camp, there are so many signs and permits and that type of garbarge, don't assume you'll not be seen, or you'll be ticketed!

A bicycle is something you should seek out and also protect greatly out here. Get a cheap one or spray paint a nice one so it looks cheap, and get around that way, if you are only doing a short commute. You'll be passing by the angry clogged traffic with a smile on your face, to be sure. Good luck to you...

Old 08-18-2009, 07:22 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostgecko View Post
Best of luck to you, my friend! After four months, things have come together for me. But my tale was not without going hungry some days, and having some serious woes, and I've had experience making a move like this before!

I appreciate that you have balls about this, but be careful! Look around, as seriously, there are some shady people out here, it's LA, but we tend to forget there are also some really good people out here as well. Don't be afraid to try. But also, the job advice is good. It takes a waiting list to get into a retail store or grocery right now, and that's at $8.50 an hour! Seriously!

I'm starting at Santa Monica College this fall, and luckily, the light at the end of the tunnel for me is military college benefits, but it's still going to be hard. I've been homeless and urban camping since the day I arrived in LA, with a short two week stay in a room in Culver City. It's no joke out here, so have a plan. Google maps is good. Beware of parking should you urban camp, there are so many signs and permits and that type of garbarge, don't assume you'll not be seen, or you'll be ticketed!

A bicycle is something you should seek out and also protect greatly out here. Get a cheap one or spray paint a nice one so it looks cheap, and get around that way, if you are only doing a short commute. You'll be passing by the angry clogged traffic with a smile on your face, to be sure. Good luck to you...
he has decided to go into the service, he isn't even moving to California.

Nita

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 08-19-2009 at 10:04 AM..

Old 08-19-2009, 08:57 AM

29 posts, read 87,083 times
I am almost done with 4 years of military servie. It's a good way to go. I am moving out to Cali for school soon, Completely paid for.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:26 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,549,639 times
MrMinneapolis, I think you made a great choice. You're one of the few (the only one?) who seems to have taken our advice to heart. So many people seem to only hear what they want to hear (or read what they want to read, as the case may be! ). Good luck in the military! You won't regret it.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:16 PM

202 posts, read 429,360 times
Thanks again for the words of advice. It took me much thinking and soul seeking to figure out my future plans and I know I am doing the right thing, I know it in my heart and in my mind. Again its much appreciated good luck to all of you.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 08-22-2009 at 01:04 PM.. Reason: Deleted quoted text as rude & unnecessary.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:47 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
MrMinneapolis, Good luck and may I thank you in advance for serving our nation.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:47 AM

20 posts, read 44,770 times
Obviosuly none of know what is best for this young man, what his future holds and what he will or won't regret, but he asked for opinions and that is what he got - God Bless the USA !

He's decided to put his life on the line to defend us and our right to publicly share those opinions, including the rude and stupid ones.

As a parent, I'd rather see my children in the military than living in a Civic, JC76 may be the one needing advice.

Statistically the military is probably less dangerous than the streets of LA. And it sure as heck provides a far better foundation from which to build a successful future.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 08-22-2009 at 01:05 PM.. Reason: Deleted quoted text as rude & unnecessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles