U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-08-2009, 01:03 PM
 
Location: LA County
222 posts, read 197,075 times
Reputation: 48

Advertisements

A group of drug dealers and other low life hang out on the stairs and property of a neighboring building. I have been accosted and issued a veiled threat by the low lifes. This in Downtown, East Village, Long Beach CA.

What is the liabilty of the property owner after I have alerted them to the hazard they are exposing me and others too? There are no loitering signs on the building. Residents are part of this group.

I am contacting the two districts city couselors who share the border of the area. What else could I be doing to confront this menace?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-08-2009, 01:08 PM
 
1,729 posts, read 4,517,615 times
Reputation: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastRefugee2 View Post
A group of drug dealers and other low life hang out on the stairs and property of a neighboring building. I have been accosted and issued a veiled threat by the low lifes. This in Downtown, East Village, Long Beach CA.

What is the liabilty of the property owner after I have alerted them to the hazard they are exposing me and others too? There are no loitering signs on the building. Residents are part of this group.

I am contacting the two districts city couselors who share the border of the area. What else could I be doing to confront this menace?
IF YOU TREASURE your life..........move away!!!! There are lots of gangs in Long Beach.......not worth risking your life.......I am sure the police has been contacted.........they turned their heads away.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2009, 01:12 PM
 
Location: LA County
222 posts, read 197,075 times
Reputation: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
IF YOU TREASURE your life..........move away!!!! There are lots of gangs in Long Beach.......not worth risking your life.......I am sure the police has been contacted.........they turned their heads away.....
are you serious?

Do these thugs run things? Why do most people turn away?

I will go after the property owner for creating a hazard. They have a duty and an obligation to maintain building and they are responsible for what goes on in their own property when duly notified of issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2009, 01:19 PM
 
Location: LA County
222 posts, read 197,075 times
Reputation: 48
the property management company ahs been notified. It is Belmont something or other on 4th street. I'll get the name and post it here along with what transpires.

thanks for any and all input.

EC2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2009, 08:50 PM
 
4,261 posts, read 9,008,338 times
Reputation: 3262
If they are selling drugs you should contact Long Beach police narcotics unit. Depending on what they are working on at the moment, it may take a bit, but they will stake out the location and make arrests. You do not need to provide your name.

You should not have any contact at all with the individuals involved, for your safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2009, 05:36 PM
 
Location: LA County
222 posts, read 197,075 times
Reputation: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
If they are selling drugs you should contact Long Beach police narcotics unit. Depending on what they are working on at the moment, it may take a bit, but they will stake out the location and make arrests. You do not need to provide your name.

You should not have any contact at all with the individuals involved, for your safety.
Thanks. I'm going to a meeting at the PD tomorrow.

A few people have said I should confront the group. I know a few in passing, but I am not looking to make friends. We are not equals. I pay to live there. I am organizing a few neighbors around the idea that making nice to outsiders and giving them an equal footing will invite trouble down the line.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2009, 10:58 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
137 posts, read 554,785 times
Reputation: 74
I would highly recommend you not confront the group; nothing good will come out of it.

If I were you, I would continue to make anonymous phone calls to the PD describing the situation and requesting assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2009, 11:42 AM
 
Location: CITY OF ANGELS AND CONSTANT DANGER
5,409 posts, read 11,541,667 times
Reputation: 2251
do not confront the thugs. continue to document, report and possibly use surveilance as evidence of whats going on (very hidden camera). dont tell anyone what you are doing. not even the neighbors you think are your friends. letting people know what youre doing could be dangerous as well.

good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2009, 03:59 PM
 
7,067 posts, read 7,030,305 times
Reputation: 6538
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastRefugee2 View Post
the property management company ahs been notified. It is Belmont something or other on 4th street. I'll get the name and post it here along with what transpires.

thanks for any and all input.

EC2
Send a letter to the property owner/management company. State that the homeowners in the area are planning on legal action against the owner/management if they do not do something immediately. You don't need to put your name or address. Just title it "Belmont (or whatever street you live on) homeowners".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2009, 02:10 PM
 
Location: LA County
222 posts, read 197,075 times
Reputation: 48
thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top