U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 11:45 PM

486 posts, read 679,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post

I might be catching a falling knife.

But their also is the old saying to buy when their is blood in the streets. I don't think the alt-A adjusting is a big deal because interest rate are still low. We are near the bottom and I'm wiling to gamble that I'm correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 02:10 AM

1,368 posts, read 2,993,717 times
a) your home is more likely to decline 20% in the next 5 years than increase 20% in the next 5 years...assuming appreciation is really terrible in this market, especially in a 3 year time horizon.

b) you didn't factor in closing costs and mortgage related costs into your break even calculation

c) you didn't factor in selling costs (6-10%) into your break even calculation

d) you didn't include PMI into your investment calculation (I am assuming your insurance field is actual homeowners insurance) so that means you have 20% down, which means you need to calculate opportunity cost of 20% down (e.g. 40k at 10% equity return is ~330 a month)

Your analysis is the equivalent of Goldilocks Economics IMO.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:22 PM

486 posts, read 679,707 times
a) Speculation your guess is as good as mine
b) yes i did
c) yes I did
d) yes i did

You forgot to include the fact that I would have to pay rent if I didn't buy.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:06 PM

1 posts, read 984 times
Hyperson- I was looking for a 1 bdrm 1 bath condo for a buyer in Belmont Heights and the Shore, and only 3 came up under $300,000. One was a short sale, the other had no parking (in a parking impacted area) and the third was already sold (lucky people!). For your price range, it might behoove you to widen your parameters a bit. Since you need a roommate, then perhaps expanding the geography where you want to live. There are great pockets in north Long Beach that are not bad at all, even though the overall zip code statistics might say otherwise. Signal Hill has some great areas that are generally less expensive than Long Beach (yet comparable). Just a thought...

Old 08-10-2009, 03:11 PM

1,368 posts, read 2,993,717 times
There is no way your numbers are correct if you're getting a 3 year break even period after making all those assumptions, I'm sorry. You didn't post detailed numbers. If you want I'll take a look at them but I do investment stuff for a living and have done dozens of real estate break evens and you'll never get a 3 year break even with 3% appreciation and factoring in closing costs, selling costs and opportunity cost of invested capital. You can't assume a roommate without assuming rental costs that include a roommate as well, I'm not sure if that's where you're getting the numbers you're getting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or