U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-08-2009, 05:41 PM
 
Location: Santa Rosa
486 posts, read 678,020 times
Reputation: 497

Advertisements

Sorry for the typo in the title; can I edit titles?

I'm starting grad school at long beach state in the fall and plan on buying a 2b condo in the area for ~$200K. Are the locations of these two units safe areas.

Thanks,

Walnut ave between 7th and 6th zip 90802

Ceder between 3rd and 4rd zip 90802

Accord to the crime stats zip 90802 seam fairly high but I'm guessing some areas are worse than others.

My agent also found a 4b2b for $199,000 on 23rd between Santa Fe and Webster zip 90810. But i'm guessing that a 4b for $199,000 is a No No unless you are a drug dealer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-08-2009, 07:46 PM
 
Location: Long Beach, CA
2,072 posts, read 11,243,993 times
Reputation: 1751
I personally think all 3 are not great. Keep looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2009, 08:20 PM
 
916 posts, read 3,331,879 times
Reputation: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypersion View Post
Sorry for the typo in the title; can I edit titles?

I'm starting grad school at long beach state in the fall and plan on buying a 2b condo in the area for ~$200K. Are the locations of these two units safe areas.

Thanks,

Walnut ave between 7th and 6th zip 90802

Ceder between 3rd and 4rd zip 90802

Accord to the crime stats zip 90802 seam fairly high but I'm guessing some areas are worse than others.

My agent also found a 4b2b for $199,000 on 23rd between Santa Fe and Webster zip 90810. But i'm guessing that a 4b for $199,000 is a No No unless you are a drug dealer.

200k for a 2 br condo will be tough in a good areas. if buying downtown (90802), I'd try to stay south of 5th. That one on Cedar might be ok.

You might look in belmont heights for a condo conversion. 200k would be much more doable if you could settle for 1 BR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2009, 08:35 PM
 
Location: Santa Rosa
486 posts, read 678,020 times
Reputation: 497
Thanks for the advice.

I'm also looking at one on Obispo between PCH and anaheim 90804.
According to the statistics that zip code has a crime rate below the state average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2009, 08:38 PM
 
Location: Santa Rosa
486 posts, read 678,020 times
Reputation: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesRes View Post
200k for a 2 br condo will be tough in a good areas. if buying downtown (90802), I'd try to stay south of 5th. That one on Cedar might be ok.

You might look in belmont heights for a condo conversion. 200k would be much more doable if you could settle for 1 BR.
Unfortunately I've talked to a number of loan office and nobody is financing conversions right now.

I couldn't afford a 1b at 200K since part of my budget planning is having a roommate in the 2b at least some of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2009, 09:09 PM
 
4,261 posts, read 9,010,386 times
Reputation: 3262
Why so important to buy? You are looking at pretty sketchy areas.

You are aware that PCH and Anaheim St have pretty strong criminal elements?

Anything along those streets from Redondo to the 710 tends to be pretty horrible.

I think you should rent.

Ask yourself what you are hoping to accomplish by buying a condo right now. Please post your answers here. I'm very curious about the thought process that people who are in a rush to buy right now have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2009, 05:50 AM
 
Location: Santa Rosa
486 posts, read 678,020 times
Reputation: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
Why so important to buy? You are looking at pretty sketchy areas.

You are aware that PCH and Anaheim St have pretty strong criminal elements?

Anything along those streets from Redondo to the 710 tends to be pretty horrible.

I think you should rent.

Ask yourself what you are hoping to accomplish by buying a condo right now. Please post your answers here. I'm very curious about the thought process that people who are in a rush to buy right now have.
Buying right now seams cheaper than renting over the long run specially with a roommate. But if the areas are as bad as you say than maybe I should just look around at renting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2009, 06:07 AM
 
4,261 posts, read 9,010,386 times
Reputation: 3262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypersion View Post
Buying right now seams cheaper than renting over the long run specially with a roommate. But if the areas are as bad as you say than maybe I should just look around at renting.
Even on a $200K place, its not cheaper than renting. I have no idea how you came up with that.

If you put 20% down plus closing...and I'm guessing you don't have that so good luck qualifying

Leaves you with a mortgage at 7% of around $1100 a month. Factor in HOA of at least $175/mo, probably more like $300. Property tax of $200 a month or so and insurance at $50 a month you are now at $1650 a month. That doesn't count any assesments that you may have in the future.

If you need a roomate to cover the payment of $1650 a month, your tax writeoffs from the interest paid and the property taxes paid are likely to be minimal at best.

Pretty sure you can get a two bedroom apartment in a decent area of Long Beach and split the rent with someone for less than that.

Even worse is that its likely to be a decade or more before the value of that condo is higher than you paid for it. Its not like the real estate market is just going to magically start regaining value. Theres still a LOT of pain left to be had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2009, 11:13 AM
 
Location: Santa Rosa
486 posts, read 678,020 times
Reputation: 497
7% mortgage? I have a prequal letter at 5.25%-5.75% no points.

I calculated my payments at around $1400 at the higher end.
According to the rent vs buy calc I'm breaking even in 3 years on my investment assuming paying rent on a 2b2b elsewhere is $1200 a month and home appreciates at inflation. (3%)

Your $1,358.46 monthly payment consists of:
Principal and interest $908.46
Taxes $166.67
Insurance $83.33
Association dues & maintenance $200.00
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2009, 11:30 PM
 
4,261 posts, read 9,010,386 times
Reputation: 3262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypersion View Post
I'm breaking even in 3 years on my investment assuming........home appreciates at inflation. (3%)
This is a beyond ridiculous assumption.

Southern California Real Estate Bubble Crash Blog

Dr. Housing Bubble Blog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top