U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2009, 03:40 PM

7 posts, read 20,980 times

Advertisements

I just moved into my apartment in West LA (just north of Olympic) and wouldn't you know, I (finally) got a job- in Calabasas!
I've had to go up to my new work a few times in the morning (I don't start until the 11th), and the traffic on the 405N hasn't been terrible, nor has the 101- is this because it's summer? Or, is it kind of a 'reverse commute'? I've looked up the commute also through a 'Traffic History' site and it didn't show any terrible traffic conditions on the 405N or the 101W.
I'll be working 9:30-6:30 so I think I'll probably take Topanga Canyon/PCH home on Friday evenings, but if the 405 isn't too terrible heading north I think I'd rather take that than the winding Canyon roads.
Thoughts/Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 03:44 PM

26,345 posts, read 84,723,290 times
Not sure how far east on Olympic but if closer to the coast, consider PCH to Topanga or Malibu Canyon.

If your job is on the east side of the Calabasas grade then either
PCH to Topanga to (Mulholland OR 101) to Calabasas or
PCH to Malibu Canyon to Mulholland to Calabasas or
PCH to Malibu Canyon/Las Virgenes to the 101.
If on the west side (like where Countrywide is at Las Virgenes and the 101) then just PCH to Malibu Canyon/Las Virgenes.

Any of these routes will at least be scenic and they would be reverse commutes. You should at least try these routes out and familiarize yourself with them just in case there is an accident on the 405.

Monitor www.sigalert.com during your expected commute times. See if the Sepulveda pass is red. If so, then try those other routes....a lot will come from trial and error.

Last edited by Charles; 08-09-2009 at 03:52 PM..

Old 08-09-2009, 03:47 PM

7 posts, read 20,980 times
I'm in the Sawtelle area, so I'm between Olympic and Santa Monica Blvd- not on Olympic.
Is the 405-N really bad in the morning? As I said, I haven't had any problem the few times I've gone in the morning, but I don't know if that's because it's summer.

Old 08-09-2009, 04:03 PM

26,345 posts, read 84,723,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoLA86 View Post
I'm in the Sawtelle area, so I'm between Olympic and Santa Monica Blvd- not on Olympic.
Is the 405-N really bad in the morning? As I said, I haven't had any problem the few times I've gone in the morning, but I don't know if that's because it's summer.
Could be a summer thing. UCLA, Loyola, Mount St Mary's, Santa Monica College; four colleges right there. Lots of people on vacation these weeks too.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:09 PM

120 posts, read 428,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoLA86 View Post
405 N (north of 10 fwy) mornings is a good commute every morning. I would take it.
On your way back Mon-Wed take the 405 back down. it should congest around santa monica or Pico/Olympic, but you won't have far to go. For Thur/Friday's, please take Malibu Canyon to PCH (through tunnel to Lincoln, from Lincoln take Pico to W LA.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles