U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2009, 01:41 AM

1 posts, read 2,173 times

Advertisements

Moving to LB. Don't want the sterile LA scene with big box retail. Wondering if there are any pockets (outside downtown, 2nd street, beach) with some artsy flair, small shops, cafes, bakeries, "walkable". Think grungy Seattle.

I have 3 little kids, so it needs to be relatively safe. A clean park helps of course.

Not looking for dominating hoods, even just a hidden block that only locals would know about.

I'm generally looking in the carson park, lakewood, el dorado, and csulb areas. Am I asking for too much?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 05:32 AM

916 posts, read 3,333,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawon View Post
Moving to LB. Don't want the sterile LA scene with big box retail. Wondering if there are any pockets (outside downtown, 2nd street, beach) with some artsy flair, small shops, cafes, bakeries, "walkable". Think grungy Seattle.

I have 3 little kids, so it needs to be relatively safe. A clean park helps of course.

Not looking for dominating hoods, even just a hidden block that only locals would know about.

I'm generally looking in the carson park, lakewood, el dorado, and csulb areas. Am I asking for too much?!
The El Dorado, CSULB areas are very nice but they are pretty suburban. If you want the artsy stuff you need to be closer to the water. Why not Belmont Heights? Great schools, bigger houses/lots, walkable to the stuff you're looking for, safe, etc.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:57 AM

5,113 posts, read 17,792,424 times
Probably going to have to look in the neighborhoods west of the Recreation Park/Colorado Lagoon area(Belmont Heights, Alamitos Heights). You could also look around Long Beach City College (east long beach campus). Close to Heartwell Park and there are a few areas with some shops and such you can walk(like around Dale's Diner).

Lakewood itself is 100% suburban and doesn't have anything "artsy"

Old 08-11-2009, 04:08 PM

197 posts, read 540,930 times
Bixby Knolls is sure trying. Try this link

I live on this street in California Heights. We're pretty artsy.

http://bixbyknollsinfo.com/images/Neighborhood%20images/Olive_Ave.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or