U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 04:54 PM

7,141 posts, read 19,535,235 times

Advertisements

culver city is only 10 minutes from your hotel, you'll definitely want to check out that area. although you are coming to LA and leaving chicago, there is a cool place called rush street at the washington/culver intersection that was started by some chi town transplants. i really like that area to get a good dinner and catch a movie. even if you don't catch a movie, the restaurants are all very good there.

you'll also only be 15 minutes away from santa monica, so you'll certainly want to head over there for a bite. i still stand by my recommendation of Casa Sanchez at culver/centinela. it's a very upscale/authentic mexican food restaurant that not too many people know about. it won't be cheap, but you probably won't need a reservation either. when i was there last there was a 10 piece mariachi band with dancers, it was a lot of fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 08:45 PM

18 posts, read 39,620 times
Real Foods Daily in LA is AWESOME! All Vegan (I'm not a vegetarian, but I go there every time I go out with veggie friends because it is good even for meat eaters), affordable, and lots of star sightings. I've seen celebrities there every time I've gone, Adrian Brody, Jason Schwartzman, and others (who cares, really, but still fun if it's someone you're into!).

Also, for "fast" food (not McD style, of course), try Zankou. There are a few locations here in LA. AWESOME fallafel, tarna, etc (middle eastern food I guess).

Old 08-12-2009, 12:18 AM

24 posts, read 18,745 times
If you really want to see LA's flavor, head to the east side, and have some birria at Birriera Jalisco in Boyle Heights(East LA). Birria is basically stewed goat meat, with tortillas, onions, cilantro, salsa, etc. It's really delicious, and it's a good reason to head out to East LA. Really interesting neighborhood. Despite the notoriety, it's definitely safe to visit.

If you want to try some unique fast food, I agree with RSpio in recommending Zankou, which is a popular local Armenian chain. I also recommend Pollo Campero, a Guatemalan fried chicken fast food chain. Best fried chicken!
Both spots are a little east of Hollywood.

Directly in Hollywood, Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles is an LA institution.
And nothing is more LA than the taco trucks. I'll leave it to somebody else the recommend a good taco truck..but if you find yourself in Echo Park, I recommend Ariza's next to Sav-A-Lot.
Also in Echo Park is a great little restaurant called the Park. M-Thurdsay, they have these great sandwiches for just 5 bucks. I hear dinner is great there too, but I haven't tried it yet.
http://www.theparksunset1400.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles