U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2009, 06:37 PM

1 posts, read 6,677 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I have lived in Studio City most of my life and I want to get out of the valley. The only thing is that I work in Sherman Oaks. I know my commute will be worse but I'll be going against traffic living on the Westside so I am not too worried about it.

I don't want to live in Pasadena and Silver Lake as they are too far east for my job. I am looking to live on the westside somewhere; these are the areas I'm considering:

- Santa Monica (closer to 405 than the beach, definitely North of SM blvd)
- West LA (west of 405, north of SM blvd.)
- (West?) Hollywood (preferably near Laurel Canyon + Sunset)

My budget is about $1300 for a 1 bedroom or studio apt.

How would people compare these neighborhoods and the commutes to Sherman oaks?

I am looking for a relatively clean/safe neighborhood that is WALKABLE (very important). I am a foodie so good food options and organic markets are a must. I'm also a vegetarian, but don't hold that against me . I am also a musician, an artist/photographer, and an environmentalist so living around similar folks would be good if possible.

What do people think? Pros/cons of each neighborhood?

My favorite areas so far look to be around Laurel Canyon and Sunset or between Montana and Wilshire in SM.

Thank you SO MUCH!

Aaron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 08:01 PM

35 posts, read 162,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aavocado View Post
Hi there,

I have lived in Studio City most of my life and I want to get out of the valley. The only thing is that I work in Sherman Oaks. I know my commute will be worse but I'll be going against traffic living on the Westside so I am not too worried about it.

I don't want to live in Pasadena and Silver Lake as they are too far east for my job. I am looking to live on the westside somewhere; these are the areas I'm considering:

- Santa Monica (closer to 405 than the beach, definitely North of SM blvd)
- West LA (west of 405, north of SM blvd.)
- (West?) Hollywood (preferably near Laurel Canyon + Sunset)

My budget is about $1300 for a 1 bedroom or studio apt.

How would people compare these neighborhoods and the commutes to Sherman oaks?

I am looking for a relatively clean/safe neighborhood that is WALKABLE (very important). I am a foodie so good food options and organic markets are a must. I'm also a vegetarian, but don't hold that against me . I am also a musician, an artist/photographer, and an environmentalist so living around similar folks would be good if possible.

What do people think? Pros/cons of each neighborhood?

My favorite areas so far look to be around Laurel Canyon and Sunset or between Montana and Wilshire in SM.

Thank you SO MUCH!

Aaron
Quite honestly, my friend, $1300 for a 1 bedroom in the areas you indicated ain't gonna happen. A studio is quite possible. Between Montana and Wilshire in SM is a very pricey area. I lived in a studio on 12th street (corner of 12th and Wilshire in SM)...it was a fantastic area. Only paid $995/month, but that was in '03. I'm sure it's gone up quite a bit since then. I like your thinking though...if you can be within walking distance of the 3rd St. Promenade and Palisades Park (bluffs overlooking the ocean) you will have a great quality of life. Endless restaraunts to choose from, at least 3 movie theaters. Life was good for me then.

WH around Laurel Canyon and Sunset is a bustlin' happinin' area. Just understand that it will not be very peacful. Lots of traffic, but a nice area nonetheless.

As for West LA, I used to live there, too. I had a junior one bedroom apartment on Sepulveda (Palm Royale apts) and was paying around $1350 if I remember correctly. That was in '05-'07. Nice area, but if you can get closer to the beach do it.

Good luck, and let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Kali

Old 08-12-2009, 10:20 AM

122 posts, read 482,430 times
Check south of Wilshire, even south of Santa Monica, you would be able to find some studios in your range. The Big Blue Bus and Culver Green Line are both efficient and can take you to some of the more "artsy" areas of the Westside in no time (Venice, Culver Arts District- around La Cienega and Washington).

Old 08-12-2009, 06:52 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,821,255 times
From a strict commute perspective I'd pick West LA. Also, I tend to like the overall vibe there vs the People's Republic of Santa Monica or West H'wood. (O'course, the delis in West H'wood are somewhat of a counterpoint but delis are only one aspect). BTW - excellent bike riding potential in West LA, IMO.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:33 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,446,226 times
i have to agree with bayareahillbilly. i personally dont like west hollywood or santa monica. i am iffy about west la (too congested). but based on what you said i think you would enjoy santa monica. i dont know if you could really find a 1 bedroom for 1300 though. studio maybe. check out westsiderentals. i know people who had luck on that.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:16 PM

95 posts, read 253,625 times
I live in West LA, right of of Federal/San Vicente which is between Santa Monica and Wilshire. I'm currently paying $1200 for a studio.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:11 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,266,154 times
Can someone please tell what exactly is in West LA? I’m not trying to mean or anything, I’m genuinely curious because I always hear about how places like the Valley aren’t as happening as a place like West LA, but I honestly have no idea what’s there. I mean, Santa Monica has the Promenade/Main Street/Montana, West Hollywood has Sunset/Santa Monica Blvd/Melrose/Robertson. What exactly is in West LA (and by West LA, I’m talking about that area between Beverly Hills and Santa Monica). I know Westwood’s there, but is that it? I’ve always just passed through it going from Hollywood to the beach or vice versa, but I’m just wondering if I’m missing out on something.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:24 PM

95 posts, read 253,625 times
The main areas of West LA are Santa Monica, Pacific Palisades, Westwood and Brentwood.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:33 PM

2 posts, read 11,786 times
There are plenty of 1 bedroom apartments on the Westside for under $1,500 per month. You can actually find a 2 bedroom in Westwood for under $1,500 per month. Paying $1,300 a month for a studio is ludicrous in this market. You certainly CAN pay that much, but for what? Check Craigslist...I rent out a 3 bedroom house in Laurel Canyon for $2,500 per month.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:36 PM

2 posts, read 11,786 times
West LA also includes Culver City, Rancho Park, Westside Village, Palms, Mar Vista,Marina del Rey, Playa del Rey, Westchester, Bel Air and Pacific Palisades, in addition to the previously mentioned areas. Basically, anything between La Cienega and the ocean, and the Santa Monica Mountains and the airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles