Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 12:56 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times

Advertisements

Give what you can, but my thought is not to feel threatened if you can't give or don't have the desire to give. I get it. Everyone is out there asking for a donation. Most of us are feeling the pinch of this current economic situation. we are all in this mess together including the not for profits.

what works for me is I donate through my Church and I let them know that. You just can't give to everyone and should not be expected to do so. I do get the point that for many they feel threatened when someone is asking for a donation. Maybe Vons is not handling it the right way. Then again if they don't ask, they won't get anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 01:05 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,836,119 times
I don't give.

I HATE Von's which I am usually stuck shopping since it's closest.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:03 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,286,861 times
My favorite is at ikea "would u like to donate a dollar to plant a tree?"

lol it cracks me up everytime

Old 08-13-2009, 03:03 PM

137 posts, read 602,610 times
Several years ago, I read this article regarding charitable contributions and I've been following the same advice each year.

Basically, the premise is you set a budget of how much you plan on donating per year. From there, you pick a few organizations you find worthy and to which you want to contribute; perform your due diligence at Charity Navigator - America's Largest Charity Evaluator | Home . Review their operations, where the money gets directed to, the salaries they pay to their officers, etc. From there, give away! It's easier for IRS tracking purposes, your larger contributions make a sizable difference, and several organizations are charged transaction fees "per contribution"; therefore the lump sum minimizes such fees.

I choose an organization, my wife chooses one, and we both choose one together, then we split our annual fund 5 ways with the three organizaitions and our seperate alma mater.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:05 PM

137 posts, read 602,610 times
Oh, and I forgot the topic at hand. I still find it hard to verbally say "No, thank you" at Vons, Blockbuster, etc.... I always feel like they look at me and are thinking, "....really, just one dollar?"

But I obviously got confidence and self-worth issues that I need to deal with

Old 08-13-2009, 04:17 PM

422 posts, read 1,818,541 times
No one's forcing you to shop there. If you don't like solicitations, take your business elsewhere. But first stop and tell the manager and why.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,190 times
Does anyone know if Vons (Safeway) is compensated for collecting for the charities? Do they get a
tax break for their charitable contributions?

Old 08-02-2010, 05:06 PM

28 posts, read 97,537 times
I just politely decline or I choose to donate. It doesn't annoy me because I realise the cashier doesn't have a choice in the matter, really. At the Vons I go to, there is a sign that says if the "clerk doesn't ask you to donate to charity, you get [enter an item] for free." So I imagine that if a clerk were to not ask/forget to ask and a customer were to point it out and they had to give that bottle away, the clerk is going to get verbally torn into by the manager for not asking a customer to donate. I also wonder if there are other ways that they keep track of how much donations a cashier takes in and if management pressures them at all.

One of my friends used to work at Sears and always had to ask if they wanted to sign up for their credit card or whatever it was. She never got enough people to sign up and she ended up having to go to remedial training and extra meetings because of it - despite the fact that she was an upstanding employee besides that one issue. She was under a lot of pressure from management to push those cards and get as many people signed up and she got "punished" for it because she didn't meet their expectations.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:52 PM

10,028 posts, read 9,500,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan emer View Post
Does anyone know if Vons (Safeway) is compensated for collecting for the charities? Do they get a
tax break for their charitable contributions?
Not sure, but it makes them look good. Those big checks the executives are photographed giving to the charity is usually from money collected from the customers.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:59 PM

10,028 posts, read 9,500,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Lost Angel View Post
I just politely decline or I choose to donate. It doesn't annoy me because I realise the cashier doesn't have a choice in the matter, really. At the Vons I go to, there is a sign that says if the "clerk doesn't ask you to donate to charity, you get [enter an item] for free." So I imagine that if a clerk were to not ask/forget to ask and a customer were to point it out and they had to give that bottle away, the clerk is going to get verbally torn into by the manager for not asking a customer to donate. I also wonder if there are other ways that they keep track of how much donations a cashier takes in and if management pressures them at all.

One of my friends used to work at Sears and always had to ask if they wanted to sign up for their credit card or whatever it was. She never got enough people to sign up and she ended up having to go to remedial training and extra meetings because of it - despite the fact that she was an upstanding employee besides that one issue. She was under a lot of pressure from management to push those cards and get as many people signed up and she got "punished" for it because she didn't meet their expectations.
I understand the cashiers don't have a choice, my complaint is with the management. The little card machines ask you if you want to donate, but then the clerk is forced to ask you in front of the other customers? I've already told the little card machine no, now I have to tell the clerk also? This is on top of the solicitors hounding you at the front entrance. enough is enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles