U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2009, 11:55 AM

63 posts, read 244,235 times

Advertisements

Greetings Everyone-
I'm new to posting on this forum but I've been browsing around here for weeks. I have found many topics to be quite interesting and informative. Although I have not been able to find anything specific to the info I'm looking for.

Can you help me out with getting a better idea about a specific area of Los Angeles?

The address is 8637 S. Alameda St. Los Angeles, CA. 90002.
This is basicly the corner of Alameda and Manchester/Firestone Blvd. The location looks to be deep in the South Central area which leaves me a little skeptical of the area itself.

I live north of LA in Ventura County. I'm in my early 20s (and Im a white male if that matters). I want to go down there because there is going to be a small-scale concert I want to attend very much! I attend concerts in Hollywood/Downtown very often, although this area seems to be a little different.

So how is this area? Is it safe for me to be around there? Do you get many gang-members, thieves or people looking for trouble around there? Is it an area I should not be in? I also want to bring my girl friend but I diont want to drag her into an area that could be a problem. I just want to get a better idea of the location. Any insight or advice would be quite helpful....

If it makes any difference, the concert I want to attend is a very "underground" heavy matal event. Small scale, maybe 300 guests. It's NOT some rap/hip-hop event that could bring in gang members, etc.. My concern is NOT the concert itself! It's the location. My worry is dealing with people on the streets, gangs, car theft, etc.. If it makes any difference I would be wearing all black colors of course and I'd be leaving the area after midnight!

If you have any advice, that would be great. Should I go for it? Or should I sit this one out and say better safe than sorry? Although I REALLY want to go!

Also, what is the best way to get in there? How to avoid driving through the ghetto areas? Take the 110? 405? Surface Streets?

Thanks in advance, I hope to get some help, tips, info from you....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 12:11 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,543,356 times
that area of town is very industrial. it borders south gate on one side of alameda and south central on the other side. it is mixed residential and lots of junk dumps.

the area at night isnt the safest, but you can get in and out with little problems.

i drive past there (alameda and firestone) quite often, at all hours. there always seems to be big parties in the area. always see tons of cars and crowds. in the area on alameda, just north of firestone. one time i did see a heavy police presence, but the crowd looked more cowboy than heavy metal. another time there was an impromptu side show/car show. cars busting donuts. dipping. etc. that was a more rap crowd.

i think it depends on the crowd. as for gangs, yes they are active that part of town, but mind your business and they wont bother you ( i doubt they will be staking out the area for heavy metal dudes).

as for getting there, if you want to avoid the ghetto areas, take the 710 south exit firestone and head west (takes you around a bit tho). or if you feel more adventurous, take the 110 south and exit manchester and drive through the hood (some people would consider SG the hood, i dont).

i personally would just take the 110. instead of going out of my way on the 710. it should not be that big of a deal.

oh and what you always have to worry about anytime there are a lot of cars around is getting your car broken into. im sure it will be street parking right? thats one caveat. but you can always just park next to a nicer car than yours.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:39 AM

^I appreciate your post. To answer your question, yes it will be street parking. Do you (or anyone else) know if you can park right on Alameda or would I have to park around the corner/side street???

Any other tips or info I should know?
Anyone else with any opinion, story, insight about the area? I would be happy to hear from you...

Thanks!

Old 08-15-2009, 12:47 AM

241 posts, read 840,794 times
just be careful and try not to pay too much attention and just mind your own business. There a lot of as you say "underground" things all around or near the place you are going but there almost no heavy metal type people or crowds in that area its like the opposite. Like just go straight to the concert and back to own place don't go outside the place you want to go or to any area you don't live and know.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:32 PM

BUMP!

Would really appreciate hearing some more info and opinions from others who know the area....

Old 11-18-2009, 06:46 PM

938 posts, read 3,736,989 times
You're looking too hard into it. Relax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles