U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2009, 04:07 PM

4 posts, read 6,692 times

Advertisements

I've been a lurker on this forum for some time but I thought I should ask you guys for some input.

I'm moving to Los Angeles soon and would like to take advantage of the current real estate market. I am in the position to pay up to $1,000,000, with 20% down and would like to get some suggestions on areas I should look at. Here are some things to consider:

1) I am in my early 20's. I would like to be in a neighborhood with a vibrant night life and people around my age to interact with.

2) Air quality is a concern. Despite this, condominiums in downtown LA (worst air in LA I imagine?) have struck my interest such as the Concerto, Evo, etc. I understand supply of downtown LA condos exceeds current demand so maybe I'll get a deal.

3) I would prefer to own a house as opposed to a condo/townhome. Basically, I want to own some land and avoid HOA dues. At the same time, this is only a preference and not a requirement. I realize this sort of contradicts #2.

4) I found some homes in the Hollywood Hills with a 90068 zip code that look interesting. I understand that this is not the prestigous 90069 zip code where all the very expensive homes overlooking the Sunset strip are (not something I am looking for anyhow). My main concern however is that the 90068 looks to be a bit far from everything, at least on the map that I am looking at. Curious about your thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to your responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 04:16 PM

One other thing is, I work from home so there is no need for me to commute.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 08-13-2009 at 08:16 PM.. Reason: Fixed typo for clarification

Old 08-13-2009, 04:19 PM

304 posts, read 841,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgains View Post
I've been a lurker on this forum for some time but I thought I should ask you guys for some input.

I'm moving to Los Angeles soon and would like to take advantage of the current real estate market. I am in the position to pay up to $1,000,000, with 20% down and would like to get some suggestions on areas I should look at. Here are some things to consider:

1) I am in my early 20's. I would like to be in a neighborhood with a vibrant night life and people around my age to interact with.

2) Air quality is a concern. Despite this, condominiums in downtown LA (worst air in LA I imagine?) have struck my interest such as the Concerto, Evo, etc. I understand supply of downtown LA condos exceeds current demand so maybe I'll get a deal.

3) I would prefer to own a house as opposed to a condo/townhome. Basically, I want to own some land and avoid HOA dues. At the same time, this is only a preference and not a requirement. I realize this sort of contradicts #2.

4) I found some homes in the Hollywood Hills with a 90068 zip code that look interesting. I understand that this is not the prestigous 90069 zip code where all the very expensive homes overlooking the Sunset strip are (not something I am looking for anyhow). My main concern however is that the 90068 looks to be a bit far from everything, at least on the map that I am looking at. Curious about your thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to your responses!
I live in 90068. No offense taken. :-)

You are right, the center of one's universe has to take a couple things into consideration: work and play. (And if you have kids then schools as well)

There are definitely places available on your budget that would put you close to downtown but not in the constant noise. I saw an adorable home just this week just 5-10 minutes from downtown (for the theatre and the art district) and near local restaurants that are popular.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:46 PM

Thanks for the responses.

stuffavail, how long does it take for you to drive to Hollywood from your zip? Is it possible to walk/stumble? Just from the maps that I have seen, it looks like 90068 is a little removed from happening areas. How do you like your location as it is definitely an area that looks nice? Would an individual an his early 20's fit into this area?

I also have no kids and do not intend to have any for quite some time.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:57 PM

7,141 posts, read 19,538,208 times
people your age tend to live around/near the major colleges: USC, UCLA, and LMU to name the big ones. if you're looking to buy a million dollar home and live near people your age, it might be tough since most twenty somethings can't afford these types of neighborhoods, even if they're renting. living in the hollywood hills will certainly distance yourself from most people your age. a better bet would be to look at the bungalows near melrose/west hollywood or the houses in the west LA/brentwood area. there are certainly more twenty somethings in these areas than up in the hills.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:20 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,660,649 times
I would check out Santa Monica.
For what it is worth downtown LA is not as smoggy as some of the surrounding areas (e.g. the valleys). Also a little cooler.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:49 PM

5,113 posts, read 17,790,906 times
Maybe you can look in coastal Long Beach(Naples, Belmont Shore, Bluff Park area). You'll find your age group and stuff to do, you'll find some nice housing you can afford, you'll have better air quality, you'll have no HOA, and if you need to get into the city of LA there is a train.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:19 PM

304 posts, read 841,609 times
90068 is the Hollywood Hills plus the Cahuenga Pass and Barham Blvd, the roads to Burbank and Universal.
90069 is the upper scale areas of Sunset Strip and West Hollywood. 90046 is the flats of WEHO.

From 90068 I am centrally located. There are lots of young people renting along Beachwood Dr (the road to the Hollywood Sign). Franklin Village (Franklin and Bronson 2 blks from Beachwood) has several eateries and bars and a small campy theatre and book store and it is FILLED with folks late into the eve.

Not knowing what you like to do its hard for me to know where you'll want to hang out.
I work in Los Feliz along Hillhurst where there is a amall town feel also. Good restairants with a broad variety of people. It is way fun to go to brunch for example. One of the coolest things about LA is it is SO huge, you cannot believe it. (Fly in at night, it will blow your mind).

As a natural response to the giantness of LA, villages have reappeared. The little old strips of commerce from old LA have been redone and draw local regulars. Quite nice.

Hollywood and Highland, looking much like NY Times Square is at the far end of Hollywood Blvd (Vine and W Hotel and Pantages Theatre at the other end).

What do you like to do? Do you have friends here? Where are they? School? Job?

Old 08-14-2009, 02:01 AM

164 posts, read 550,675 times
"twentysomethings" is a bit to broad for LA here because the subcultures are separated by neighborhood and ne'er the twain shall meet.

For example, there's the young lawyer/MBA/corporate yuppie types who live primarily in west LA/SM (and spend most if not all their free time on the west side), and their Los Angeles experience and world is vastly different than the Hollywood scenester/trust fund kids who are scattered across WeHo, Silverlake, Hollywood Hills, etc. And then you have the broke-ass aspiring actors, filmmakers, writers, etc living in Studio City, WeHo, Hollywood, etc who don't go out as much as you think - because they're broke and when everyone else is partying it up, they are working their shifts as bartenders, servers, etc. And then you have the college kids and grad students living near UCLA and USC - and they have their own little world.

Oh, and you have the "twentsomething" gangsters in South LA. And the "twentysomething" Asian exchange students hanging out and dining out in the San Gabriel Valley.

So it comes down to the kinds of young people you want to hang out with, because LA is basically a grown up version of high school - it's cliquey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles