Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 12:23 PM

438 posts, read 1,531,445 times

Advertisements

I'm a single 30 year old white male that has lived in northern CA my whole life. I've spent most of my time in the bay area, San Jose/ Peninsula. I am thinking about buying a condo to rent out until I can find a job in IT. My problem is I can't decide if I want to live in LA/ LA county/ or Orange County. I want to live somewhere that is decent but it doesn't have to be perfect. I lived in Redwood City for 3 years and found it tolerable. My problem is that I have very little knowledge of So Cal and from what it seems that there are pockets of nice areas that are pretty much all a stones throw from the gehtto/barrio. I would like to be near somewhere that has night life as I am single. My prospect areas are Torrence, Burbank, Fullerton, Garden Grove, Anahiem, or somewhere in LA. I'm looking for a condo in the 200k range. I'm overwhelmed can someone please help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 12:27 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Leaf View Post

I am thinking about buying a condo to rent out until I can find a job in IT.

I can't decide if I want to live in LA/ LA county/ or Orange County.

I have very little knowledge of So Cal

My prospect areas are Torrence, Burbank, Fullerton, Garden Grove, Anahiem, or somewhere in LA.

condo in the 200k range.
Why don't you find a job in Southern California first, then buy a condo after you get a job? It's ten times easier to find housing after you have a job than it is to find a job after you find (permanent) housing.

Old 09-05-2009, 12:40 PM

Well the thing is that I'm not in a hurry to move and mainly looking to rent the place out for as long as 6 months to 1 year or maybe permanently and just have a place to stay for visits in between renters.

Old 09-05-2009, 12:55 PM

916 posts, read 3,700,321 times
belmont shore is a good place for that sort of thing.

Old 09-05-2009, 06:35 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,147,223 times
I am not sure $200k will buy what you want in the areas you listed. But I did want to mention, non-owner-occupied loans for condos is very bad right now. If you are paying cash, you can get good deals. If you choose to borrow, you might want to check with various lenders first.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:37 AM

273 posts, read 655,466 times
When people asked what part of Ca they should visit from out-of-state or from abroad, I always tell them there is more to do and more to see in NorCal. I've been all over CA, so I have a good idea.

SoCal has plenty of warm beaches, deserts and mountains. There is recreation and accommodation at all three. But, if I had the choice to do it all over, I probably would have chosen to spend more of my life and working years in the northern part of the state.

So that begs the question, why do you want to move if you don't know much about the southern part? Starting this thread was a good move. Visiting frequently will be another good move. Making any permanent decisions may not be such a good move for now, anyway.

Check out Redondo Beach and neighboring cities. Then check out Newport and Laguna Beach. As mentioned, parts of Long Beach are nice. San Diego has to be on the list. And, if you want the "big metropolis," then come to LA. Check out the westside and the hills all around.

There are 4 million LA residents in roughly 500 sq. miles, so you will never be lonely.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:56 AM

1,369 posts, read 3,310,375 times
I have no idea why you want to buy a condo in the worst real estate market in decades in an area that is still depreciating (and that you don't understand), and just rent it out (which usually doesn't make money) and then sometime in the future relocate, and when you do relocate, the probability your condo will be within a reasonable commuting distance (read: that you'll actually want to live there) to your job is pretty darn small.

Old 09-06-2009, 11:03 AM

94 posts, read 213,643 times
You're moving from Nor Cal, eh? You may be horrified by the fact that people in So Cal actually know how to drive.

LOL.

Old 09-06-2009, 04:05 PM

Well to summarize, I have lived in Northern CA my whole life and not just one area, central coast, bay area, Sacramento. I've even been to places like Modoc County yes way out there. I'm bored of it all, and not to mention that I'm lonley becasue all my friends have moved south. I'm not to familar with the south but I have breifly visted Glendale, LA, Pasadena, Laguna NIgel, San Deigo and I liked the overall vibe. As for buying a condo, well I'm looking at the bottom price range, 200k and below. Actully I've seen listing for 150K and I know if I buy before Dec 1st I can qaulify for the 8k tax credit. I don't think condos in the 150k range are going to fall much more than another 5% and if they do than I have that coverd with the tax credit. I want to rent it out because my job is up north right now and this would give me time to find a job while renting the place. I don't see where I can go wrong with this eqation? But input is greatly apprectiated.

Old 09-06-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderwebs95 View Post
You're moving from Nor Cal, eh? You may be horrified by the fact that people in So Cal actually know how to drive.

LOL.
I've never noticed people up here can't drive. I would think people from the north are better drivers because everything down there is about all about going 5mph in gridlock, jk. But let me ask you this, how many people from LA even know how to drive a stick shift?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles