U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 09:21 PM

1,213 posts, read 2,363,138 times

Advertisements

First there's beef with the East Coast & West Coast. Then it's LA and San Fran. Then it's LA and SD. Then it's Hollywood and the Valley. Where does it end?

I appreciate the Valley and Hollywood. I just moved to Encino as I got a job in Woodland Hills. It's all LA. What difference does it make on what part of LA I live in? "Why can't we just all get along?" I must say I do get very stressed out in Hollywood, it's mayhem. I can breathe in the Valley and yeah it gets really hot but not all the time. There is more to do in Hollywood though but that's why I love LA because it has a balance of these things. It's nice and big with a decent amount of variety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 09:23 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,437,838 times
The Valley periodically tries to secede from Los Angeles. It seems to me that the chip is on their shoulder. The rest of LA doesn't care one way or the other about the Valley, in my experience.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:33 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,665,034 times
Welcome to LA Pip. I am sure you will love it.

Rivalries just seem part of American culture. I grew up in the valley and there were comments made back then. Ignore them..

Old 08-13-2009, 09:43 PM

8,346 posts, read 26,863,663 times
There is no beef between the east coast and west coast. That was made up by record executives to sell rap records.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:51 PM

1,213 posts, read 2,363,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
There is no beef between the east coast and west coast. That was made up by record executives to sell rap records.
Yes in hip hop culture of course but excluding that it's still there. Haha I remember watching "Wife Swap" (don't laugh at me :P) and the family in Florida swaped with a family from SoCal and the husband shouted at the Cali wife "That's why we don't like you Cali people!". There's just so much beef.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:46 AM

16,630 posts, read 34,717,740 times
That's not an East coast West coast thing, it's a "hate on California" thing which pretty much comes at us from the entire country, especially the Bible Belt. We natives love it and bask in it.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:30 AM

2,179 posts, read 4,451,979 times
i am a valley girl and usually get the "hate" from westsider snobs . when i tell them i am from the valley, they usually add "ugh the valley. i never go over the hill". usually its just teasing though so you just roll your eyes and crack a tease about yuppies

Old 08-14-2009, 09:03 AM

5,113 posts, read 17,803,681 times
Incase you haven't guessed, people that reside in Hollywood/Westside/etc are snobs. That's what happens you put a bunch of yuppies and hipsters in one place, it's like a passive-aggressive hate machine for anything different

Old 08-14-2009, 12:33 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,554,428 times
ok, yes there are alot of "HATE ON LA" people that talk smack about us. its normal. i liken it to a crush. but there is a rivalry of sorts between NY and LA, its normal. they are the major cities in the US. but its not big deal to us. its like the other cities are more invested in fostering that sentiment than LA is. what other city in the country has its own anti LA sports team slogan? BEAT LA! BEAT LA! anywhere the lakers go, or the dodgers, its always beat LA, BEAT LA!!! lakers go to miami, detroit, houston, NY. same with the dodgers. you never hear beat NY, beat NY. or beat st louis! beat st louis! people do like to hate on LA. its in sports and in popular culture.
for the most part we angelinos and californians dont let it bother us.

thats one angle. the other angle is the inner conflicts contained in southern CA. orange co. folk dont nec. like the LA lifestyle. or what they think the people represent. there is conflict there. still dont bother me. or most LA people. THEN there is the upturned noses about where in LA people live.

do you live in culver city, hancock park, beverly, lincoln heights, west adams, south central, mt. wash? if you live in the valley, well um... ya. so, the valley... :nervous:
people dont really think the valley is all that exciting. im one of those people.
i live in the south side of town. downtown is minutes away. hollywood less that 20 minutes. the east side (boyle heights and such) within 15 minutes. even the westside is close to south central. the valley on the other hand IS far!!! well not far like lancaster, but far enough to reconsider a visit out there. besides IS there a reason to go to the valley?

i think thats why people have reservations about the valley. what exactly would people go there for? its hot, its dirty, its far, limited night life, its far.

i dont think ambivalence or dislike of the valley is contained to people in hollywood. i think a lot of LA looks at the valley as the armpit of the city.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:56 PM

448 posts, read 1,424,880 times
To make a general comment that the Valley is the "armpit of the city" is just plain ignorance for "a lot of LA." The Valley within the city of LA is massive. In terms of size, it's practically the same size compared to the basin counterpart of the City of LA.

See the map of LA within the highlighted blue areas: Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times
The huge section in blue above West Hollywood is the Valley piece of LA. Not a small chunk.

My point being that the valley is very diverse and large and has its hip/chic areas and it's not so great areas. To make a general degrading comment about the valley is just plain ignorant. Having lived on both sides of the hill, I am more than happy on the Valley side of the hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or