U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 02:10 PM

75,072 posts, read 87,503,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I had never heard of Hovanian Home communites until I did a subsearch of them. I hope you're not limiting yourselves to where those communities are built. When you say that the most important part will be the people, you want to be aware that there will be quite a difference in the people who are attracted to a city like Beaumont, as opposed to those living in, say, Pasadena.
Very true and this may be where the OP runs into a problem with So California. Areas like Beaumont, Bakersfield, etc which might be small town will not give them the cultural exposure them seem to want and areas that offer lots of arts and culture will not give them exposure to the basic, downhome friendly neighborly citizens. Many living in areas like Pasadena are too busy with their lives to get involved with those around them. This isn't all good or bad, just fact.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 02:21 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,967,272 times
Nita, I think I understand what you're saying, but I don't necessarily know that I agree; LA isn't like a small town, but there are definitely areas that feel somewhat defined as a community, and at least in my experience of living in a small town and a lot of bigger places, people in LA/Pasadena are just as likely to get involved as those elsewhere.

The Pasadena arts community is actually pretty small once you get involved. Not small as in not a lot of people interested, but small as in you can get to know people pretty fast. A lot of the local foundations give money to encourage/enhance local volunteer programs, both at the arts organizations and other nonprofits, and there are a lot of older people who spend a lot of time volunteering at various spots around town. And, like someone else pointed out, there are many, many other arts options in the LA area beyond what you find in Pasadena, but one nice thing about Pasadena's cultural offerings is that they're pretty tightly packed together, with many within easy walking distance and certainly even easier driving distance. There's a lot of overlap between people involved in the various organizations, and the City of Pasadena helps support things like ArtNight (free shuttles linking participating sites, all with free admission that night plus free activities). LA is a huge city, and Pasadena is plenty big in its own right, but it starts to feel pretty small once you get involved.

Old 08-16-2009, 02:24 PM

75,072 posts, read 87,503,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Nita, I think I understand what you're saying, but I don't necessarily know that I agree; LA isn't like a small town, but there are definitely areas that feel somewhat defined as a community, and at least in my experience of living in a small town and a lot of bigger places, people in LA/Pasadena are just as likely to get involved as those elsewhere.

The Pasadena arts community is actually pretty small once you get involved. Not small as in not a lot of people interested, but small as in you can get to know people pretty fast. A lot of the local foundations give money to encourage/enhance local volunteer programs, both at the arts organizations and other nonprofits, and there are a lot of older people who spend a lot of time volunteering at various spots around town. And, like someone else pointed out, there are many, many other arts options in the LA area beyond what you find in Pasadena, but one nice thing about Pasadena's cultural offerings is that they're pretty tightly packed together, with many within easy walking distance and certainly even easier driving distance. There's a lot of overlap between people involved in the various organizations, and the City of Pasadena helps support things like ArtNight (free shuttles linking participating sites, all with free admission that night plus free activities). LA is a huge city, and Pasadena is plenty big in its own right, but it starts to feel pretty small once you get involved.
you could be right, I just think of areas outside of Los Angeles (at least 40 miles) as being small town, like know your neighbor. I don't put Pasadena in that catagory, maybe So Pas. again, I haven't lived there for quite awhile so can only base my opinion on what I remember and still hear from our friends.

Nita

Old 08-16-2009, 03:49 PM

559 posts, read 1,161,401 times
I know very little about motorhomes but perhaps the Good Sam Club would have the resources to answer your questions?

There is a pretty large dry dock in either Arcadia or Monrovia (on Peck Road) which is east of Pasadena. When I drove by it within the last year, it appeared to be packed with motorhomes and boats. I have no idea how much rent would cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or