U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 05:37 PM

4 posts, read 10,787 times

Advertisements

We are looking now to move to S.Cal (Pasadena?) to either rent or buy. We are considering: 1) Renting with a family; 2) Also looking for a clean and full-time Motorhome Park, for 55+. Info on any of these two topics would be greatly appreciated. Financial concerns are critical in making our decisions. We are looking to partially retire, and thus, have to consider living on a fix-Parttime job lifestyle for the first couple of years.

If we have left anything out, please post to us or email us and we will try our best to answer your questions.

Cheers...Couple Moving to SCal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 07:05 PM

74,887 posts, read 87,287,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couple Moving to SCal View Post
We are looking now to move to S.Cal (Pasadena?) to either rent or buy. We are considering: 1) Renting with a family; 2) Also looking for a clean and full-time Motorhome Park, for 55+. Info on any of these two topics would be greatly appreciated. Financial concerns are critical in making our decisions. We are looking to partially retire, and thus, have to consider living on a fix-Parttime job lifestyle for the first couple of years.

If we have left anything out, please post to us or email us and we will try our best to answer your questions.

Cheers...Couple Moving to SCal
Hi, can I ask, why Pasadena? I love the town, but it is a bit unusual for a couple about to enter simi retirement to be looking into Pasadena. I do not think you will find any nice RV or mobile home parks in Pasadena. There are mobile home parks, not motorhome parks in a few areas just east of Pasadena. Have you thought about looking into areas nearer Riverside Ca, or areas due east of Pasadena, also some of the beach locations south of Los Angeles. Pasadena is not thought of as a retirement area in any way and renting or buying homes can be on the pricey side.

Of course what one would think is a moderate rental budget, others may find out of line in either direction.

Nita

Old 08-15-2009, 07:33 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,942,401 times
I echo Nita; why Pasadena? Pasadena is a great place, certainly very livable and with much to offer people of all ages, including retirees (and boy, do I know a lot of Pasadena retirees),, but I don't think there are any motorhome parks in Pasadena. It's also probably not somewhere you move if financial concerns are at the top of your list.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:50 PM

Default Why moving to Pasadena?

Chatting with people, Pasadena has come up many times as an art community. S. Pasadena has the Famous S. Pasadena Playhouse and I love writing. Hoping that some of my work may be employed at the Playhouse. Yes, we are at that age of looking closely at retirement. We would like to live in a quite place, not to far from cultural centers, and more than likely inside a 55+ gated community. He have looked at Hovanian Home communities and they are located in Bakersfield, Hemet, Beaumont, and have a nice reputation and variable cost homes. We thought, being new to the West Coast, and not knowing anyone, moving in with a family who had a second home on the property or a duplex rental home would be nice.

As for a motorhome park... we would like to be able to park a motorhome close by, so we can travel. But this would have to be a nice park, and preferably a 55+ motorhome park.

We have to say, we posted our little message and already we have met two nice people in S. Cal. What more can anyone ask for in life.

Cheers...G-G

Old 08-15-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Chatting with people, Pasadena has come up many times as an art community. S. Pasadena has the Famous S. Pasadena Playhouse and I love writing. Hoping that some of my work may be employed at the Playhouse. Yes, we are at that age of looking closely at retirement. We would like to live in a quite place, not to far from cultural centers, and more than likely inside a 55+ gated community. He have looked at Hovanian Home communities and they are located in Bakersfield, Hemet, Beaumont, and have a nice reputation and variable cost homes. We thought, being new to the West Coast, and not knowing anyone, moving in with a family who had a second home on the property or a duplex rental home would be nice.

As for a motorhome park... we would like to be able to park a motorhome close by, so we can travel. But this would have to be a nice park, and preferably a 55+ motorhome park.

We have to say, we posted our little message and already we have met two nice people in S. Cal. What more can anyone ask for in life.

Cheers...G-G
Just a couple of things, one, the S. Pasadena Playhouse is not S. Pasadena, but is the Pasadena Playhouse unless it recently moved. These are 2 totally separate cities and very different. It sounds like you really need to take a trip to So California before you do too much more planning. The places you mentioned would be fine except they are nowhere near cultural centers or even major cities. Bakersfield is 90 plus miles from Los Angeles, in the high desert, Hemet is about 60 or so miles from San Diego, probably further and Beaumont is in the middle of nowhere.

As for your love for writing, I don't think you have a clear picture of what the Pasadena Playhouse is all about...

Many homes do have separate rentals at the back of the properties, but this doesn't mean the home owner wants of socialize in any way with thier tenents, in fact many do not. If you can find someone that does, that would be a plus.

Again, I think you really need to take a week or two and investigate your upcoming move. I don't know where you live now, but you might be really surprised at what So California is like, This isn't negative or positive, just an idea that you need to research so you will have a better idea.

Nita

Old 08-15-2009, 08:39 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,942,401 times
South Pasadena has the Fremont Theatre, and Pasadena has the Pasadena Playhouse. South Pas and Pasadena are adjacent. There are a lot of other cultural opportunities in the greater Pasadena area as well, and a lot of interesting volunteer opportunities at local museums and arts organizations. The Pasadena area does have a long and rich history of supporting arts and culture, and from that standpoint it may be what you're looking for. There aren't, however, gated communities for 55+ people. There are some senior citizen apartments and the like, but not what it sounds like what you want. Still, I know many, many retirees in Pasadena and South Pasadena, including those who have moved there after spending the rest of their lives in other states, and they love it there. These are also people who were drawn to it for its arts/culture opportunities, so you should find plenty of people who share those interests.

Bakersfield, etc. are very far away from Pasadena, but you could perhaps find a motorhome park if not close by, at least within relatively easy driving distance. If that's of interest (beyond your Pasadena questions, I mean) you may want to post a separate message on the general CA board; I moved your thread to the LA forum because of the Pasadena focus, but potentially, depending on how far you were willing to park your RV versus where you lived, those could be two separate issues. You could perhaps ask about motorhome parks in the San Bernardino/Riverside forum; there may be something out that direction.

Another housing option that is fairly typical of the Pasadena area (but not as often found in other parts of the country) is the bungalow court; these are freestanding small bungalows (with one or two bedrooms) clustered together around a central courtyard. It depends on the specific neigbors, of course, but these might offer the sense of community that you're looking for. We lived in a modified bungalow courts and loved it, and my friends in bungalow courts seem to have had better luck meeting neighbors than those living in either apartments or single family homes. You can find listings and photos on websites like craigslist.

Definitely come visit first before you make a decision. You may fall in love with Pasadena, or you may find another part of California more to your liking. Lots of retirees with an interest in arts and culture live along the central coast, too.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:23 PM

Dear Uptown_Urbanist,

What a wonderful posting. We cannot even begin to tell you how much we appreciate your insight and assistance, but more so--your writing skills. As a "Someday Publisher Author" your words flow like flowing water. This is truly a wonderful site, for the quality of communication is excellent!

There are so many pieces to our S.Cal puzzle move. But we are taking them one piece at a time. There are three main thems to our S.Cal puzzle: 1) my wife would like to continue working; 2) work she finds work is where we will probably move to, and maybe move into the little community you live in. It sounds delightful. 3) We would like to travel the west, and do it via a motorhome. Thus a place where we might be able to park or store our motorhome is something we have to give weight to. We might add, it doesn't have to be right in the city, but it would be nice to have it with in driving distance and in a well-groom motorhome park for 55+.

We think the most important piece in making up our mind are people. People are what makes the heart happy. Establishing new, life-long friends is the highest goal we believe a person can reach, and so--great friends is worth all the pot of gold at the end of the Rainbow.

As you may well see--we understand very little about City-Data Forum. We are truly green, real rookies. In time, we hope to reach the point were we may add to the conversations, and be of assistance to others, like you have to us. Thank you for posting our message where you did. And this is what is so nice about reaching one's hand out, there is always a warm, friendly hand to grab hold and say, "Come! Let me help show you the way to Oz. Just follow the "Yellow Brick Road!"

One of the many suggestions people have given us is sharing a place. This sounds like fun. It is like living in a college dorm, just a wee-bit older. But then, there is really no age to a youthful mind, so looking ahead is a new adventure with new sounds, sights, and people (friends).

G-G
8-16-2009

Old 08-16-2009, 01:34 PM

197 posts, read 540,732 times
There is a lot of art in Pasadena, but also in all of LA. Don't be too myopic. And, do look into Eagle Rock and Mount Washington communities as well.

There are no communities in the greater LA area that behave like a small mid western town (not that you're coming form there). There are no distinct city boundaries in most places. It's L.A. It's a run-on city.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:41 PM

17,494 posts, read 16,329,586 times
Quote:
We have looked at Hovanian Home communities and they are located in Bakersfield, Hemet, Beaumont, and have a nice reputation and variable cost homes.
I had never heard of Hovanian Home communites until I did a subsearch of them. I hope you're not limiting yourselves to where those communities are built. When you say that the most important part will be the people, you want to be aware that there will be quite a difference in the people who are attracted to a city like Beaumont, as opposed to those living in, say, Pasadena.

Old 08-16-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehcsrop View Post
There is a lot of art in Pasadena, but also in all of LA. Don't be too myopic. And, do look into Eagle Rock and Mount Washington communities as well.

There are no communities in the greater LA area that behave like a small mid western town (not that you're coming form there). There are no distinct city boundaries in most places. It's L.A. It's a run-on city.
great explanation of L.A. I think, if you get as far north as say, Simi Valley or as far east as Glendora you can get that small town atmosphere, but yes< Los Angles is just one big spread...

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or