U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 09:44 AM

108 posts, read 280,622 times

Advertisements

whats the comparison between the two, in terms of a live band playing gigs, recording songs, trying to establish a following, not necesarily a record deal / contract....also, cost of living vs. higher wage? (this is for the music aspect, making money doing gigs, selling merch.)..anytips on internet based work (to help supplement) would be great. thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 12:33 PM

160 posts, read 806,446 times
Default No comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by 167878 View Post
whats the comparison between the two, in terms of a live band playing gigs, recording songs, trying to establish a following, not necesarily a record deal / contract....also, cost of living vs. higher wage? (this is for the music aspect, making money doing gigs, selling merch.)..anytips on internet based work (to help supplement) would be great. thanks.

There are NO comparisons! Los Angeles is where to be when it comes to music and live gigs. Unless you're in New York - Los Angeles has a great music scene. Not only are the venues great in Los Angeles but there classic. Knowing that artist's that have changed the face of rock n roll stood in that very spot in L.A. should also make for some good inspiration as well...........

Old 08-17-2009, 08:07 PM

56 posts, read 231,059 times
Miami has a much more vibrant music scene than Orlando.
Why compare Orlando to Los Angeles?

Old 08-18-2009, 06:20 AM

Default No music in Miami

Quote:
Originally Posted by absurd_planet View Post
Miami has a much more vibrant music scene than Orlando.
Why compare Orlando to Los Angeles?
Well, I guess it all depends on what type of music you're into, but in my opinion Miami's music scene - unless your a wannabe Cuban rapper is downright pathetic.

"Why compare Orlando to Los Angeles" well because that's initially what the question was about.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:27 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,996,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by william1971 View Post
There are NO comparisons! Los Angeles is where to be when it comes to music and live gigs. Unless you're in New York - Los Angeles has a great music scene. Not only are the venues great in Los Angeles but there classic. Knowing that artist's that have changed the face of rock n roll stood in that very spot in L.A. should also make for some good inspiration as well...........
Come on Kyle lets change the face of Rock-N-Roll.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:51 AM

yea, i wanted to stay away from miami for that very reason --^ ....but i live in FL and orlando seems to be to best thing around, though seemingly not so great... the thing w/ LA is that its overpacked w/comp, and seems hard to get your foot in the door and est. a following, let alon make money playing rocknroll..thanks sofar.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 167878 View Post
yea, i wanted to stay away from miami for that very reason --^ ....but i live in FL and orlando seems to be to best thing around, though seemingly not so great... the thing w/ LA is that its overpacked w/comp, and seems hard to get your foot in the door and est. a following, let alon make money playing rocknroll..thanks sofar.
I also live in Florida; I'm in Miami right now but originally from Los Angeles. You're right about the L.A. scene being over saturated with bands; lots of competition, but I think it's always been that way. I remember in the 80s Guns N Roses played the Sunset Strip for the longest time before getting big. I would imagine it might be difficult to make money playing in Los Angeles unless you have connections, but if you're looking to get recognized L.A. is a good place to start.

If Los Angeles too risky try Tampa. I hear there's a pretty good scene out there. Some other places I keep hearing about with good music scenes might be; Texas, Atlanta Georgia, Portland Oregon.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:30 PM

1,204 posts, read 4,064,573 times
Why don't you try Nashville or Atlanta?

Old 10-16-2009, 04:06 PM

thx for all the replies- much appreciated ^... I thought Nashville was over saturated as well, but a good base for country. How's Atlanta?

Old 06-21-2011, 03:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,857 times
Not to be a jerk but, if you are afraid of competition, you might as well give up your dreams. You have to know you're good and welcome competition to make it. Competition makes you work harder. You might argue that you won't get noticed but, I guarantee if you have "It", you stand a better chance of making the right connections in Los Angeles, California over Orlando, Florida. Let's face it. The music business is in Los Angeles, New York, and Nashville for country. You have your smaller markets in Atlanta, Seattle, and Miami but, the big guys are in the first 3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles