U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 12:49 PM

5,113 posts, read 17,803,681 times

Advertisements

Someone mentioned the South Bay.. You could look at Rolling Hills/Rancho Palos Verdes. There are homes with ocean views, there are bigger lots, and good schools.

While I've never been, what I've read about Pacific Palisades may fit what you want as well and is a lot closer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 05:01 PM

197 posts, read 541,290 times
3K sq ft lot is considered sub standard in most planning depts. 6 to 7K is the norm. A 1/4 acre is 10,000 ft. And lots that big do cost a lot near the beach. There are several homes for sale in Pacific Palisades in your price range.
Search For Sale homes in "Los Angeles-Pacific Palisades" city | BlockShopper Los Angeles

Old 08-17-2009, 09:23 PM

1,714 posts, read 5,547,127 times
The house price collapse hasn't made its way over to the beach yet.... I have my doubts that it will ever get as low as you're wanting. That square footage (3000 sq ft), acreage (10,000 sq ft), and proximity to both Century City AND the water, command a far higher price tag.

The price collapse has occurred (to date) mostly in far-flung suburbs, well over an hour away from where you desire to live... which is sort of WHY the prices collapsed there.

Keep watching, though - there are more ARM resets coming, and you never know...

Old 08-17-2009, 10:08 PM

6,011 posts, read 12,960,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma91pmh View Post
Hi! Currently living in NC but we've been talking about a move to California. Obviously our money goes a long way here in the South-East and much would depend on our ability to find the "right" place... so...

Can anyone suggest an area that might fit. We are in mid-30s with two young kids. Looking for somewhere with other young families. Would spend around 1m-1.25m on home and would want to get ideally at least 3000 sq ft more like 4+, and at least 1/4 acre lot, and at least near the coast pref with some view of the ocean. Trick is need to be within 1 hr commute of work which would be Century City Zone. Does such a place exist???? I can see down in OC somewhere like Laguna Niguel fitting perfectly but way too long to commute.

Any thoughts or do we need wait until I've run up the ladder a bit further!??
Well, Rancho Palos Verdes would be a nice option and my first choice. However the big caveat is your husband's work schedule. The traffic during normal rush hour from the South Bay to Century City is hellish and exceeds 1 hour. Its grid lock all the way.

Although I prefer the South Bay to the West Side. In this case I would say you are much better off closer for your husband's job for sanity sake. So the closest things would be Pacific Palisades or Santa Monica with ocean views and beach proximity. But these areas are populated with a lot of ppl in the business. And the business has an economy all its own. It seems like during a recession certain industries such Hollywood, liquor, etc... actually do better. So I don't know if prices have really fallen over there.

The other places mentioned like Thousand Oaks are just too far for every day rush hour traffic driving.

Another thought - you may actually be in the best place for you right where you are. I am usually mentioning to the folks fleeing CA to greener pastures that it isn't always greener. And believe it or not many flee to NC for the things you already have - big affordable homes with plenty of land. And within driving distance to the coast, although not the West Coast. But still its not that bad.

Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with exploring your options. And sometimes you have to move out of your comfort zone and experience another part of the country first hand by living there. But with two young children you have to consider their family (grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc...).

We moved from CA to CO with our three young children and now we are back. And yes it was a fun adventure. But it was time for us to come home and be closer to family.

With regards to Century City it is a really crouded area. Traffic and ppl are a bit nuts/rude IMO to say the least. And I lived in LA County for 40 years. But I just hated driving over there. Although my job called me to do so a number of occasions. Its a mob/snob scene. So you must live close by to make it livable. Otherwise quality of life decreases.

Just take a flight out and explore the area. Then jump on the 10 or 405 FWY during rush hour just for a little taste of some of the worst traffic in the nation. Then you'll be able to make a more informed decision.

Any chance for him finding work in another part of the state or even on the outskirts of LA County?

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 08-17-2009 at 10:26 PM..

Old 08-18-2009, 08:14 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,997,544 times
CA 90265

Perhaps you will have to compromise a little but the location and the networking potential (party's) will be more than worth it. Public school is great too.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:29 PM

2,178 posts, read 4,958,553 times
Default an idea for you regarding PRICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma91pmh View Post
Probably the most flexible point is price. Could go up to 1.5m. After that ocean view, I knew this would be long shot, but would be nice. I figured given all the stories of supposed house price collapse that there would be some window of opportunity to get out there now and get real estate at a more reasonable price.
Hi - I've posted about this all over the forums, as a suggestion that can help people get an idea of how they can "be there" for a property owner whose home has fallen into default, before foreclosure - if you don't mind buying a potentially distressed property.

If not, then at least this tip will give you an idea of the property values/sizes because this list I'm telling you about gives the assessment values and sometimes shows the last sale price/date.

This list is free & up to date, unlike anything posted online.

Call a title company in the city you are most interested in. Ask to talk to a title agent. Ask the title agent to email a NOD (notice of default) list to you for whatever county/ies you're interested in (it's a county list). Then you can consider making an offer for a house before it goes into foreclosure.

You can ask the title agent to refer you to an agent (you will make their day!) for representation - or you can just use escrow services to represent yourself. You don't pay the commission, so don't worry about the cost of a real estate agent's service.

When you see a listing in the NOD's that interests you, you can search for the address on google maps. sometimes the addresses are viewable close up - so you can see what the neighborhood really looks like. The address finder isn't always "right on" though.

Hope this is helpful. I hate to see people waste time/money!

Kate

Old 08-23-2009, 05:38 PM

16,250 posts, read 27,835,657 times
You could find what you want in Ventura on the hills. Your commute would be longer though. Lot sizes on the beach are barely larger than the home though on the beach. I have seen the ocean on a clear day from Camarillo. Home size and lot size would fit the bill. Closer than Ventura but still a drive. Depending on the time of day you may make it to CC within an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or