Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2009, 05:31 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,064,630 times

Advertisements

hi all.....will be making a quick overnighter soon to Glendale and not even renting a car....I like non-chain, old-fashioned, unchanged breakfast joints where the waitresses call you "hun".....anything like that within a couple miles of the Glendale Hilton??....I don't mind walking a long ways, especially so I can walk off the meal on the way back.....

also, would like to walk to anything worthwhile in this area....history, unique stores, people watching, even an interesting mall are my interests....

will probably be a weekday/weeknight when I'm there...

thanks for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 05:39 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times
the old bob's big boy in burbank would be right up your alley, but probably too far to walk.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:49 PM

thanks BR....I think I saw it on a previous trip - along with the Brady Bunch house and all the other Burbank stuff....

edit: I guess the Brady house would be Studio City, I think.....

Old 08-17-2009, 07:13 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
thanks BR....I think I saw it on a previous trip - along with the Brady Bunch house and all the other Burbank stuff....

edit: I guess the Brady house would be Studio City, I think.....
you are going to have trouble seeing anything without a car, especially when you will only be there for a day or so.

Nita

Old 06-04-2010, 05:33 PM

Hi All....

resurrecting my old thread because I'll be back in the Glendale area next week (weekday, weeknight) and WILL have a car this time.....

looking for old-fashioned, locally-owned breakfast joints where things haven't changed much and the waitresses call you "hun" and all that....not remodeled, locals' favorite, unpretentious......open by 7am.....

also looking for historic buildings, sites, roads, houses, ranches, whatever, within twenty or so miles of Glendale....I know about the Pasadena Freeway's history...early (1920s/30s/40s) LA stuff like that....any early SF valley irrigation/orchards still around?....

also, is there any place where lots of locals go on a weeknight for fun?....a pedestrian mall or entertainment spot?.......

thanks for your ideas......

Old 06-04-2010, 06:48 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,623,744 times
try Paty's near Burbank/Toluca Lake. If you keep your eyes open you may even spot a celeb in disguise!

you should check out the Gene Autry museum if you're into historic southwest history. I saw a really great exhibition on the development of rock climbing in Yosemite last year. As far as entertainment you can head over the hill to Hollywood & Highland with Groman's & the Kodak Theater & plenty of shopping/dining. Or you can browse through the Americana in Glendale.

If you're going to be here next Tues and you're a foodie, you might want to checkout a chef's symposium at the RedCat beside Disney Hall downtown. They're having some of LA's most acclaimed chefs like Wolfgang Puck & the 2 Hot Tamale's speak & answer questions. You can always go to Yelp and find upcoming things to do locally: Browse Events Near Los Angeles Next Week | Yelp

Have fun (:

Old 06-04-2010, 09:33 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,172,833 times
I didn't see your thread the first time or I would have made some suggestions....

You can try Porto's on Brand. It isn't a "waitress style" restaurant but it is unique and good (and popular!) Brand Avenue is loaded with restaurants and shops and you can walk there from your hotel.

IHOP may not be what you had in mind, but did you know they are headquartered in Glendale?

Other places you might try: The Original Pantry (downtown LA), Coral Cafe (Burbank, on Burbank Blvd.), Harry's (Burbank on San Fernando Road), Park N Eat (Burbank, on Victory Blvd.). There are also some places around Colorado Blvd. in Eagle Rock.

For shopping, the Americana on Brand -- and the Glendale Galleria right behind it. (There's got to be 300 to 400 stores between the two of them.)

For history: If you have time, Huntington Library is really great. Otherwise, there is the Norton Simon museum, the Brand Library Brand Library & Art Center , lots of historic things in downtown LA (including Angels Flight which is back up and running).

Old 06-09-2010, 11:53 PM

thanks for the advice, all.....

only had a day and a night....went to Porto's in Glendale for breakfast....fantastic.....I let the nice counter person pick out four things of her choosing for me, including the house specialties meat pie and a potato roll thing...that plus coffee was less than $5!....

had lunch at Paty's in Toluca....chose the Paty's scrabble plate....not bad, but the hash browns were a bit standard....great atmosphere and friendly staff.....some cops dropped in, so it must still be good.....nice spot....

walked around the Americana in Glendale....really nice concept....it was only about 2:30p on a Monday and lots of people of all types were around....nice combo of offices, retail, and residential, though I fear 600K and up for a condo there may be stretching things....very pedestrian friendly, nice courtyard, family-friendly, welcoming tone....

thanks again......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles