U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 11:30 AM

77 posts, read 199,619 times

Advertisements

Hello I am just wondering what is the status of Glam/Hair Metal in L.A. I know the 80s are over, though i still love it (even though i was born in 91). I have thought that if it is still big anywhere in America it would be L.A. Theres afew where im from in Chicago. I know Steel Panther has just come out with their original material and is touring but im wondering how large an audience is there, can you make money as a tribute band then begin performing originals? What are the best clubs for that sort of music? How widespread is pay to play? Thank you for you time, thoughts and energy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 02:05 PM

2,497 posts, read 6,523,165 times
I'm in South Bend, not far from you in Chi. Been to and lived in LA a few times and always saw a few glam people everytime I have been there. Yeah Steel Panther plays the Key Club every Friday night, or is it Saturday night? Not sure, but yeah I'd say it's still alive and kicking. Not like it was in 1987, but it's still there. If you are REALLY good and convincing as a 80's tribute band you could probably make a good chunk of extra income but by no means would I ever guess it would be enough to pay that outrageous rent.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:39 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,435,286 times
Boy, that brings back memories of the Sunset Strip as well as the Troubadour (which is on Santa Monica Blvd.) and the Country Club. I was going to those clubs a couple of nights a week.

The L.A. clubs scene is dead, now, though. No more places to park for free and what clubs there are now are often corporate owned and only book touring acts. I feel sorry for bands today since the opportunities to be seen aren't there like they used to be.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:01 PM

4,262 posts, read 9,014,611 times
Wrong type of music for the current atmosphere and as RobE said, the club scene is nonexistant at this point.

Bands have to make their own way at this point with self promotion in the internet and creating their own following. This means original unique music. For instance, the Killers and Kings of Leon both have a very different and easy to recognize sound that while rock, is a different interpretation than others have put on the music. Same thing goes for a heavy selling band like Red Hot Chilli Peppers or Green Day.

Yes I know ACDC's most recent album sold a ton, and so did Def Leppards....and I know their tours are doing well also. But a few things....those bands are of legendary status, neither is an 80's "hair or glam" band...both are straight forward rock.....and both have seen fit to change the way they promote themselves and conduct business.

Old 08-19-2009, 03:39 PM

1,632 posts, read 2,399,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamrockerfs View Post
Hello I am just wondering what is the status of Glam/Hair Metal in L.A. I know the 80s are over, though i still love it (even though i was born in 91). I have thought that if it is still big anywhere in America it would be L.A. Theres afew where im from in Chicago. I know Steel Panther has just come out with their original material and is touring but im wondering how large an audience is there, can you make money as a tribute band then begin performing originals? What are the best clubs for that sort of music? How widespread is pay to play? Thank you for you time, thoughts and energy.
There is no real scene to speak of. It's one band that has developed a following and made quite a nice niche for themselves. Touring bands like Ratt, Faster Pussycat, Dokken, Great White etc who play here all the time don't really draw well. Even the annual Poison package tour doesn't sell out the Universal and I can get easily comped for it. Don't think there is much room for either a another tribute act or band that performs originals.

You can probably still buy slots at the Whisky or Roxy and play whatever you want but most of the local music scene is centered around Echo Park/Silver Lake and not much glam/metal.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:20 AM

850 posts, read 1,396,235 times
Its so sad to see bands like only playing in small clubs now. I look back and say, wow when I was in high school you were the sh--, what happened? NIRVANA! I have seen most of these bands back in the 80's and man they could sell out an arena. There just isn't a draw for it anymore and the fans for this music are my age.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:55 PM

2,497 posts, read 6,523,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnnee View Post
Its so sad to see bands like only playing in small clubs now. I look back and say, wow when I was in high school you were the sh--, what happened? NIRVANA! I have seen most of these bands back in the 80's and man they could sell out an arena. There just isn't a draw for it anymore and the fans for this music are my age.
And it seems really hard to go see ONE act. Most bands tour on these tours with 5-10 bands. Maybe it's more economical. All I know is back in the 80's and 90's when I would go see Slayer or Metallica or Crue and it was a ONE BAND ARENA SHOW it had such a high vibe and the crowd was into it and the band played their butt off. Now with these "festival" shows the energy is just gone because you have different people there to see different bands oppossed to everyone there for 1 band. The arena shows were the best. I miss them.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:42 PM

427 posts, read 994,556 times
The original post brings up a big thought I always wondered. The reputation of Hollywood music was 80's metal. Well what preceded it and what came after it? It almost sounds like the unknown neighborhood of Height Ashbury that became known when the Grateful Dead came about. At least on the east coast, none of us gave much thought to Seattle, until Nirvana came along. But Hollywood, that's different isns't it? This is the entertainment capital, I would figure music has been pumpin from the 30's till today there. I can't imagine their peak being a little period during the 80's. Don't get me wrong, I love that 80's metal. I just feel like I missed the boat, like Hollywood was this quiet little neighborhood that you could live cheap and party.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:06 PM

4,262 posts, read 9,014,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_sfl View Post
Don't get me wrong, I love that 80's metal. I just feel like I missed the boat, like Hollywood was this quiet little neighborhood that you could live cheap and party.
I don't know where you got that idea from. Most of Hollywood was a dump at that time. Most of the bands, including the ones that became huge like Poison and GnR lived in crappy apartments, generally on the dime of women they would hook up with who had day jobs.

Sunset from La Cienega down into the heart of Hollywood was a VERY different looking place in the mid 80's than it is now. Much less sanitized.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:44 AM

427 posts, read 994,556 times
You know, it's based on ignorant pre-conceived notions from childhood. I had alwaysk known that New Your City was a big city (big buildings, lots of people). And I just kind of lumped in any city that began with "Los" or "Las" in with New York City and Chigago. Not until many years later did I realize that LA was not a Manhattan. Since then I guess what has always thrown me off is how can this be the second biggest city in the country, yet it's all layd back looking with ranch homes and palm trees, kind of like where I live in FL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
I don't know where you got that idea from. Most of Hollywood was a dump at that time. Most of the bands, including the ones that became huge like Poison and GnR lived in crappy apartments, generally on the dime of women they would hook up with who had day jobs.

Sunset from La Cienega down into the heart of Hollywood was a VERY different looking place in the mid 80's than it is now. Much less sanitized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or