U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 07:24 PM

6 posts, read 26,548 times

Advertisements

I have written two screenplays and they are both being looked at by an agency now. But I would wont to first get an education. And my parents are the ones who are paying for it.

And thanks so much everyone, all of the posts have really helped me out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 10:01 PM

84 posts, read 258,197 times
Go for it man. Sure, the chances are low, but that's already been said. If you're a GREAT writer you might sell a screenplay. If you're not absolutely great, it won't happen. It can happen. I have family connections and I recently sent a screenplay to a famous actor. I doubt anything will happen, but who knows. I recommend joining IMDB pro and checking out all the agents you can send your work to. It's about 99 bucks a year and I'm using it for acting.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:21 PM

485 posts, read 1,557,975 times
Stay where you are and finish school - out-of-state tuition is too expensive. Also, a talented writer can write from anywhere. Move to L.A. after you graduate.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:26 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,269,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsystar View Post
Stay where you are and finish school - out-of-state tuition is too expensive. Also, a talented writer can write from anywhere. Move to L.A. after you graduate.
I completely agree with that point. It seems like so many aspiring film/entertainment people get caught up in moving to LA and don't really consider what they can do at their current location. 99.99% of the time, those who move to LA and really make it in the industry had connections and knew people in LA, before moving here. They did whatever work they could in their hometowns and when the opportunity came up, they made the move to LA. They didn't move to LA and then start looking for opportunities. Those who do the latter usually end up failing.

With the Internet and other technology, the film industry is much more dispersed now than it has been in the past. It's no longer a necessity to move to LA to start pursuing work in film, at least when you're first starting out. In fact if you read the papers, not much even gets filmed in LA anymore.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:40 PM

2,919 posts, read 4,759,311 times
If you're determined I have one suggestion that's on the safe side. You can move to an OC/LA border town like Cypress or La Palma (cheaper than LA) as you get your residency, in case you can qualify for UCLA's film school. Go to Orange Coast College, a community college that has a very well-respected film program, and maybe try to find any kind of job at Downey Studios. You'd need to drive, but it's not horrible. School would be 15 miles south, work would be about 15 miles north. It wouldn't be glamorous, but it would show your family some commitment for that very reason. It would be an entry into SoCal. Los Angeles, the city, USC and UCLA are pretty tough nuts and I think you'd need to transition first. I won't dissuade you, but with that just offer you good luck.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:42 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,967,272 times
My dad was based in another state and had an agent in LA. Like others have said, you can at least get a start while elsewhere. The fact that you're actively writing and submitting stuff is great; it at least puts you into the league of people who follow through their dreams, rather than just sitting around and talking about the screenplay (or novel, or...) they're going to finish someday.

I think coming to LA as a student is the best way to do it. Depends on the school costs, of course, but that depends on your individual circumstances. Really, I don't think you have much to lose, at least assuming you can make the move in a way that doesn't saddle you with a huge amount of debt. Even if the dream doesn't work out, or if you change your mind and discover that you have a newly discovered passion for some other discipline you discover as a student, you'll still have a good experience and a degree. LA's a great place for students -- lots of opportunities of all sorts, so take full advantage.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:31 PM

304 posts, read 842,341 times
If you wish to be in the industry you must be here.
It is highly competitive and most industry folks have a second way of making a living.
You must be determined and talented, assertive and willing to do whatever it takes.
Meet everybody.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:08 PM

197 posts, read 541,290 times
I know a screen writer. I have no idea how he got successful. He must be good. He has mentioned re-writes many times, so maybe that's his specialty. What I do know is he is the nicest person I have met in a long, long time. Most of the people in the "biz" are so full of themselves it hurts to watch. He has the ability to be nice to anyone.

And, he is tireless, but he's a lot younger than I, so I give him the advantage of youth. Chances are he wrote some stuff from his home state before coming here. I know I didn't see many signs of struggle. Quite the opposite.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:56 PM

114 posts, read 419,635 times
If you have a B plan, you're going to fall back on it and never become a professional screenwriter. Trust me on this--because it takes YEARS of practice and networking to get to that level. This HAS to be the only thing you can see yourself doing--if it's not, I doubt you'll make it. The flipside is that if you work extremely hard, hustle and don't look back, you'll probably make it. Just have patience and a thick skin.

--A Screenwriter

Old 08-21-2009, 01:29 PM

3,007 posts, read 5,293,911 times
Eh, have a plan B.

If you're motivated then it won't matter, but if something outside of your control happens you can look for work with a diploma, or you can look for work with a degree.

Plus you learn a lot of stuff, you will have certain experiences and all that good stuff by going to school.

The ones who make it are rare. They don't ask questions on forums, they KNOW what they want and will get it all mostly all costs.

They have an innate drive to sell themselves, to network and to be creative. You've seen all of those crappy movies right? They weren't made by people looking to win oscars they were made because they know what sells.

To be a Judd Apatow you have to WORK and maybe if you get lucky or show your face enough you'll get in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or