U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 09:30 PM

1,882 posts, read 2,934,022 times

Advertisements

i think alot of people are still thinking in terms of the studio system, the old style way of doing things, which is changing so rapidly right now that nothing can be predicted. alot of that has to do with the death of celluloid. film is a discipline that is only a century old. name me one more art form that is that new yet that influential. you really can't. music, painting, all the other art forms are as old as mankind. film, on the other hand, is a pup. don't get locked into to thinking one way about things. the future is yet to be written. film is still working out its artsy side. it got snagged pretty early on by the businessmen. its still dominated by businessmen. and women. just remember that as much as people will tell you there is only one way to do things, they mean that there is only one way to be "hollywood". hollywood has to be dragged kicking and screaming into innovation. every truly great film has encountered resistance from the people who were in charge. every single one. and they all think there is only one way of doing things. which is a disease you can catch and never cure if you decide at such a young age that you MUST come to hollywood to make it.

also, what type of stuff do you write? are you seeking to write stuff that's gonna be "edgy" (read- appeal to a certain demographic and not transcend unless by accident) and comedic? or are you writing stuff like "slingblade"? i mean, are you trying to forge a new path or are you quite happy with the typical hollywood dynamic? if so, then you will only be successful in NYC or LA. because they cater to the masses. if you want to be an artist and write good stuff, then i suggest focusing on finding good schools for cinematic writing whether or not they are in los angeles. i think as a local and a filmmaker myself that LA is highly overrated and perhaps an stifling place for people who don't want to make the next judd apatow film. if you want to be kubrick, you can do that anywhere. i am always shocked by the number of filmmakers i meet here who are rather paint-by-numbers. its so easy to fall into an industry groove here, which means you will learn alot and yes, you might meet celebrities. and yes, everyone is a screenwriter here, or claim to be, which means there is a couple brief synopses on their laptop that they sometimes peck at between working three jobs. doesn't mean they are actively working on it.

i just think alot depends on how you think of yourself in terms of your art. if you want to write sitcoms, if you want to write rom-coms, if you want to appeal to a massive audience and want to make blockbusters then you need to be here. if you want to write films because its the only thing you have ever wanted to do then that is what you will do, whether you are in east jesus or you live on hollyweird boulevard. good luck to you, whatever you decide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 09:36 PM

10 posts, read 13,663 times
Hey CB3009,
I hope that everything works out for you. I also share the same interest as you do. Maybe one day we'll see each other in Hollywood lol.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:36 PM

9,197 posts, read 14,503,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
every truly great film has encountered resistance from the people who were in charge. every single one. and they all think there is only one way of doing things.
Oh no, we're not picking on the Hollywood Establishment for putting out endless awful Nick Cage explosion flicks, are we? We must have 3-D!

Old 02-02-2011, 08:39 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,967,637 times
I know its a tough gig, but not impossible. A friend of mine just had a reading at the LATC Sunday afternoon. He's been working with the Robey Theatre for about 3 years, fine-tuning his play. The Robey has a class every Saturday, downtown where he lives. Good news is the play is going into production in September. Even had a guy offer to help him shop the play in Dublin (there's an Irish backstory in the plot). He has been writing for years, but has never gotten this far. Keep in mind, he's worked full-time all his life, just got laid off about a month ago so he can dedicate the time. And he ain't young, either- it can really take time to get there.

Alot of the comments preceding mine are positive. That's a good thing. I believe you should do what you love doing. If you can get with a local theatre or director who mentors writers, all the better.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:20 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,997,544 times
Class Music
http://www.youtube.com/user/outcasts.../5/47Tu3gs6CM0

Old 02-03-2011, 12:12 PM

32,525 posts, read 31,819,244 times
Screenwriting: Just be aware that the person bringing you your Malibu Chicken at Sizzler has a screenplay in their locker. They're also an actress/actor/director/grip/set designer/best boy...

Old 02-03-2011, 07:00 PM

1,882 posts, read 2,934,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Oh no, we're not picking on the Hollywood Establishment for putting out endless awful Nick Cage explosion flicks, are we? We must have 3-D!
Oh, heavens no! (i.e. YES)

Old 02-04-2011, 01:00 AM

422 posts, read 671,942 times
lol everyone wants to move to LA because of Hollywood it cracks me up . For me i moved here because of the weather , love to bike in the mountains and also my big pacific islander community is here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or