U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2009, 08:45 AM

36 posts, read 206,122 times

Advertisements

My husband and I own a small destination wedding business in Florida. We are thinking of moving our business to California. Our favorite place is the LA area, but we are not sure if is suitable for our business.

90% of our weddings are "elopements" and are done on the beach, so basically we can call ourselves "a beach wedding company".

I need serious input from locals please - are beach wedding popular in the LA County area? Have you seen many going on around Redondo Beach, etc.?

I know for a fact that San Diego is very popular as well as Orange County for beach weddings, but we are not crazy about those areas; I also think San Diego is "overrated". As crazy as it sounds, we prefer the LA area instead based on our experience of years of traveling back and forth between LA and Florida.

Your serious input is much appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 09:18 AM

2,178 posts, read 4,954,301 times
I would say Orange County would be a better bet... my opinion, having (well off, much more than myself) relatives in that county & having lived in Redondo Beach, as well as Torrance... OC seems much ritzier & seems to be the place everyone in LA would want to go, if given a choice. I'm not a local anymore but, hopefully this will get the ball rolling for you *smiles*

Old 08-20-2009, 09:22 AM

Also, if you check the yellow page listings for any given area, that would give you a fair idea of the competition... even if there are a lot of listings, remember, there's always room at the top for the best!

You could build your rep by offering some kind of incredible discount on something that doesn't really hurt your budget but looks good - like if you got a good deal on flowers. I hear the mark up is incredible - so maybe there's room for a discount there...

Reputation would be the first hurdle... Word of mouth for the great service would be the free advertising... Right?

Old 08-20-2009, 09:49 AM

36 posts, read 206,122 times
Thank you very much for your input. We have been in business in Florida for a few years, are members of the BBB and have a great reputation for been one of the bests in the business.

However, we don't advertise locally - we have always used the Internet to attract customers (my background is e-commerce)- that is why we specialize on "Destination" weddings - people that do not live in the State and wants to "go away" to get married but are not attracted by the "Vegas" style of wedding; they want something more "personal", simple, affordable and outdoors. We perform on average 5 weddings a week and 95% are couples from Out of State.

In your opinion, do you think there are a lot of "Out of State" couples coming to OC or LA to get married? That is what my husband and I are debating right now..Because doing our research, everything points toward San Diego as a prime destination wedding location in CA, but we don't like that area very much; we love LA and prefer to do business (and live) there instead.

Thanks again for taking time to respond!

Old 08-20-2009, 10:43 AM

197 posts, read 540,930 times
Interesting business. Do you perform at other venues besides the beach? In CA we have so much to choose from. Mountains, ocean, desert, forests, lakes and rivers; it's nuts.

I was trying to find this little bucolic town, a Victorian mining town next to a river in NorCal that I visited 5 years ago. They had a small inn nestled besides an old bridge with a front lawn that went right out to the river bank. It doesn't get any more picturesque than that.

If I find it, I will post info.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:53 AM

Actually I didn't know what you meant by "destination" - thanks for the kind illumination (-: So a destination wedding would be like a wedding/honeymoon combined destination? Honeymooning in CA makes me think of... Northern CA, SF or San Diego or OC.

How about a google search of Los Angeles honeymooning spots to solve your mystery?

Maybe if you marketed this initially as a destination option near Disneyland (people go to FL for Disneyworld, right?), that could be a good hook. I got married once (once too many) in Anaheim.

You can see the nightly fireworks for miles there. Anyway, that was a nice wedding, altho the mother inlaw planned the whole thing for us.

Seems like a nice destination place cuz it's not far from the beaches. I'd stay at an Embassy Suite at an OC beach any day. Have you checked out the beach suites in RB? Not as alluring. The dining options are certainly not as alluring, also, in my humble opinion.

Oh my gosh. My favorite place to dine is at the Embassy Suites where they have the little indoor water streams with ducks! I think I'd want to get married there!

The sun setting over the water at Huntington Beach: sweet. Hmm... I guess I need an engagement ring first? Or is that what you don't need if you elope...

I am curious how your quest will turn out!

Last edited by sarahkate_m; 08-20-2009 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: formatting

Old 08-20-2009, 12:00 PM

304 posts, read 841,738 times
If you can find a nice, clean welcoming beach, with good parking, that is nice enough to do straight and gay weddings, then go for it.

Remember, LA is huge- read HUGE- and people sometimes dont want to take up a whole tank of gas. We did a 6 car caravan from the church North Hollywood to Newport Beach and even tho we adore the family members who got married, it was an enormously long day. NB has quite a wedding biz going on.

But my thought would be to look at your demographics currently, then use this site to see what may match up with your type of business here....and make a decision. best of luck.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:15 PM

304 posts, read 841,738 times
Default where to wed by the beach,

I just thought of Long Beach has a light house that is a lovely green space
and has a view of the Harbor and The Queen Mary.

Hope that helps.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:01 PM

197 posts, read 540,930 times
I live in Long Beach. I would take some convincing that this is the destination for a marriage, but it's possible. There are a lot of nice facilities and sights here. It just isn't the norm.

A destination for locals and out of state folks looking for a wonderful place to have nuptials is Wayfarers Chapel on the Palos Verdes Peninsula overlooking the Pacific. They have a website.

Or, you could book a gondola thru the Long Beach Naples canals. As I said, there are too many possibilities to even mention. Yachts in the harbor up and down the coast to mountain tops.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:21 PM

You're onto something there... Night boat rides when there are fireworks on the shore or christmas boat parades are rather impressive. An event like that, coordinated with a wedding & honeymoon: pretty cool.

Last edited by sarahkate_m; 08-20-2009 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: added "boat"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or