U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 07:38 AM

3 posts, read 5,022 times

Advertisements

Hi guys and gals,

I am a 27 year old female londoner, looking to upsticks and move to LA early 2010.

I am tired of the hum drum that I have come to find from living in th UK and want to see if the grass really is greener.

Reallly I am looking for friendly people to network and become friends with to ease/facilitate my eventual move. I have decided to save as much as possible and relocate in April 2010 looking for a job and apartment closer to Feb/Mar/April time.

If you are from London and have happily set up a life in LA, I would love to hear from you, if you are an LA local/new resident that would be great also.

All advice and friendship welcome.

Please message me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 07:56 AM

11,151 posts, read 14,414,165 times
Are you legally allowed to work in the U.S.? That's the first issue to address. Unlike the E.U., you'll need to obtain a visa to be able to live and work here. Start by contacting the American Embassy -- they can give you all the information you need.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:26 AM

3 posts, read 5,022 times
Thanks Dark of the moon,

The American visa system is fairly complex, my route would be to look for work before and after my move, living in LA based on the 3 month Visa waiver program (applicable to uk residents) and if I find an employer to sponsor me before my waiver expires then great. If not then I will hop skip and jump out of America and travel on til my money dwindles and alas I must return to the hum drum of London life.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:05 AM

10,630 posts, read 23,942,401 times
If you don't already have a visa, then at this point in time you're facing an uphill battle; there are currently many, many people in LA looking for work right now (and that's unlikely to change dramatically by early 2010), so unless you have a very unusual or in-demand skill it's going to be difficult to find an employer to sponsor you.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:41 PM

33,557 posts, read 34,452,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natkmorg View Post
Thanks Dark of the moon,

The American visa system is fairly complex, my route would be to look for work before and after my move, living in LA based on the 3 month Visa waiver program (applicable to uk residents) and if I find an employer to sponsor me before my waiver expires then great. If not then I will hop skip and jump out of America and travel on til my money dwindles and alas I must return to the hum drum of London life.
I think that the chances of your finding a local employer to sponsor you is very small. The economy is bad now and many Americans are out of work and even when the economy was good it was very hard to find for people to find an employer to sponsor them. (I know people that tried and weren't able to find anyone to sponsor and returned to their own countries.) Good luck!

Old 08-21-2009, 04:11 PM

296 posts, read 741,159 times
I am sorry but you really are dreaming. As the previous posters mentioned, jobs are tough to get in LA. Many many well qualified locals are looking for work. Why would an employer hire a foreigner holding only a visitor's visa??

If I were you I would consider going to Paris (or some other fabulous European city) to experience something different from London.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:19 PM

39 posts, read 132,588 times
I only lived in London for two years and I was excited to get back to CA weather, so I can imagine your excitement! I'm going to be the optimist here and say I think you can make it work. I have a friend from Italy that has now lived in LA for 3 years, and did the same thing you want to do. Of course, you need to be prepared to not find any work also, which it sounds like you are. I know of a hostel that would hire you, give you a room and small weekly salary, which may help you get started. It all depends on what kind of work and quality of life you are looking for. Let me know if you have any questions or need any help!

Old 08-22-2009, 02:22 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,994,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natkmorg View Post
Hi guys and gals,

I am a 27 year old female londoner, looking to upsticks and move to LA early 2010.

I am tired of the hum drum that I have come to find from living in th UK and want to see if the grass really is greener.

Reallly I am looking for friendly people to network and become friends with to ease/facilitate my eventual move. I have decided to save as much as possible and relocate in April 2010 looking for a job and apartment closer to Feb/Mar/April time.

If you are from London and have happily set up a life in LA, I would love to hear from you, if you are an LA local/new resident that would be great also.

All advice and friendship welcome.

Please message me.
Just a point to remember that quite a few of the Brits here are also employers.
Also there are several shops which cater for the ex pats out here,to work in one of these shops you require “special skills” ie being British this alone can be justification for sponsorship and a “green card”.
One of these shops is for sale at the moment and the new buyer will immediately get a “Green Card”.
Your plan is a sound one just save as much cash as possible before you make the jump.
Plenty of Brits here and many are prepared to help a fellow countryman/woman.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:58 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,942,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by impala666 View Post
Just a point to remember that quite a few of the Brits here are also employers.
Also there are several shops which cater for the ex pats out here,to work in one of these shops you require “special skills” ie being British this alone can be justification for sponsorship and a “green card”.
One of these shops is for sale at the moment and the new buyer will immediately get a “Green Card”.
Your plan is a sound one just save as much cash as possible before you make the jump.
Plenty of Brits here and many are prepared to help a fellow countryman/woman.
Keep in mind that many of the local British employers are in the same situation everyone else is in; many may not be in the position to hire people right now, no matter how much they'd like to help you out or how willing they are to take on the paperwork. If you try to work the shared nationality route I'd suggest trying to make some initial contact in advance, before quitting your current job and flying to LA.

Things may pick up, but I've never experienced anything like the past year as far as job losses go. A couple of years ago I didn't know anyone voluntarily unemployed; now almost everyone I know in LA has either lost their job, had their hours reduced, or is worried that they may be next because their companies have frozen hiring and/or laid people off. It's not just one or two industries, either. We moved because my husband's job eliminated his southern CA position; my own hours for an LA-area place have been cut in half. I know many, many others in the same situation. Looking for work in LA in 2009 is different than it was in 2006, 2007, or even 2008. If you're lucky there will be a big shift and by 2010 things will have changed, but in the meantime be prepared for the worst (but willing to jump on any opportunity that does come along; you could get lucky.)

Not to be overly negative about it, but if you decide to take the risk and come here looking for a job you deserve to know how tough it is going to be. If you have the money and are willing to think of it as an extended vacation or adventure that may or may not lead to something then that's one thing, but if you're looking for better odds you may want to seek adventure in another country or state, or at least do a lot of groundwork in advance before you come over.

Old 08-22-2009, 04:12 PM

19 posts, read 39,155 times
I suggest you save up, and come over for 3 months and see if you like it. While you're here, network in the field you want to work in and who knows? Sure, the economy is dire at the moment, but life's all about adventure. Just think of all the fun you can have in 3 months. Come when the weather is nice, get a short term rental in Santa Monica and just enjoy. Sorry to hear your life in London (how could that be?? London is fantastic!!) is so hum drum. Keep in mind, you might try Melbourne instead, way nicer than LA and probably easier to get the immigration situation sorted.

Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or