Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 06:33 PM

1,082 posts, read 3,779,140 times

Advertisements

Jack, not really feasible when you have a family. For a single person or two people w/o kids and a pretty good salary, like you said, it can be done.

MBG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2007, 07:00 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightbirdgirl View Post
Jack, not really feasible when you have a family. For a single person or two people w/o kids and a pretty good salary, like you said, it can be done.

MBG
Yep. We're surviving right now with two incomes, two paid-off cars, and few other bills. There's no way we could afford kids, even if we had another bedroom to put them in.

Old 04-27-2007, 08:02 PM

723 posts, read 2,998,214 times
Well, I can't see how with TWO people making that kind of money you couldn't afford kids...?

I mean if one single person can make it I don't understand how two people couldn't. One of my girlfriends makes less than me, and she does fine (renting). I also see many single parents with kids.

Something is amiss here.

Old 04-27-2007, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSparrow View Post
Well, I can't see how with TWO people making that kind of money you couldn't afford kids...?

I mean if one single person can make it I don't understand how two people couldn't. One of my girlfriends makes less than me, and she does fine (renting). I also see many single parents with kids.

Something is amiss here.
Are you starting with the assumption that every couple makes $150k/yr or close to it? Average household income in most places is not even 1/2 that.

Old 04-27-2007, 08:56 PM

723 posts, read 2,998,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Are you starting with the assumption that every couple makes $150k/yr or close to it? Average household income in most places is not even 1/2 that.
Yes, I am starting with that assumption, because in your previous post, you said that you both had jobs.

In the current post you said:
Quote:
Average household income in most places is not even 1/2 that.
"that" equalling $150k/yr - half of "that" would be $75,000/yr

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/...Angeles/Salary

SO, going back to what I THINK you really meant to say (that average salary in this town is $37.5k/yr [even though that is no correct]). Even if both of you were making $40,000 (much closer to your supposition)- that value [combined for you two] is what I was making when I qualified for my place?
And I make 'rent' just fine.

Old 04-27-2007, 09:29 PM

Yeah, we both work. No, we don't make $150k between the two of us. We're making a little more than 1/2 of that and barely make the mortgage on a $550k house with few other bills. Kids are out of the question.

Old 04-27-2007, 09:54 PM

1 posts, read 12,547 times
Default Should you move to L.A?

I have lived here my whole life, over half a century, and I wouldn't choose to live that over again in todays society. It was fantastic, safe, culturally wonderful, educationally wonderful, affordable, and was once the "American Dream". I own property in Southern California in which I have a great deal of equity and I intend to liquidate within the next 7 or 8 years, or rent it and make a fortune off it, while investing the equity in high paying return investments. I have purchased other property close to here, within 125 miles, not hot, not cold except for maybe 4 days a year of snow, where I spend every weekend. It's depressing coming back on Sundays to go to work on Mondays. Even my dog hates coming back. I don't know how most people can afford it, or why they would want to. If you are raising children, this is the wrong place. If you are relocating this is not a smart choice. My kids are grown but I am grateful they both didn't choose to stay here. I have been elected to public office here three times and feel like the patients run the asylum, the bills of which property owners are asked to pay for.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:47 PM

644 posts, read 3,320,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnclmark View Post
I have lived here my whole life, over half a century, and I wouldn't choose to live that over again in todays society. It was fantastic, safe, culturally wonderful, educationally wonderful, affordable, and was once the "American Dream". I own property in Southern California in which I have a great deal of equity and I intend to liquidate within the next 7 or 8 years, or rent it and make a fortune off it, while investing the equity in high paying return investments. I have purchased other property close to here, within 125 miles, not hot, not cold except for maybe 4 days a year of snow, where I spend every weekend. It's depressing coming back on Sundays to go to work on Mondays. Even my dog hates coming back. I don't know how most people can afford it, or why they would want to. If you are raising children, this is the wrong place. If you are relocating this is not a smart choice. My kids are grown but I am grateful they both didn't choose to stay here. I have been elected to public office here three times and feel like the patients run the asylum, the bills of which property owners are asked to pay for.
Yup. It's sad.

I'm leaving in a few weeks.

Artie

Old 04-27-2007, 10:58 PM

140 posts, read 531,700 times
I am a single parent who has lived in California most of my life. It's depressing to hear how so many people are barely making it here. I live at home right now because I'm in school full-time and paying rent is not even an option with what I make right now. I have had to come to grips with the fact that even though I will be making good money soon, I may never own a house in California. Unless I become a CEO of a company, buying a house in my neighborhood is out of the question. I don't want to survive, I want to live a good life. But family is more important to me, and all my family is here, so I will make it work somehow. My heart goes out to the people here who are struggling so much here. my family struggles now and then, too, but we work together and make things work out. It may help some of you to give yard sales to earn extra cash, and shop at thrift stores for certain things. Anyway, let's thank George W. for making everything so damned expensive and inaccessible. Great guy.

Old 04-27-2007, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmCutter View Post
Anyway, let's thank George W. for making everything so damned expensive and inaccessible. Great guy.
I'd like to know how he inflated the price of housing. Really. This should be good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles