U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-21-2009, 06:43 PM
 
Location: San Francisco/Haarlem, NL
39 posts, read 132,588 times
Reputation: 27

Advertisements

Which neighborhoods in Los Angeles are the most bike friendly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-21-2009, 08:04 PM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
26,345 posts, read 84,716,335 times
Reputation: 17581
This is the best way to answer this question.

http://www.metro.net/riding_metro/bi...a_bike_map.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2009, 08:18 PM
 
Location: San Francisco/Haarlem, NL
39 posts, read 132,588 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
This is the best way to answer this question.

http://www.metro.net/riding_metro/bi...a_bike_map.pdf
This is great, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2009, 09:48 PM
 
Location: South Bay
7,141 posts, read 19,532,036 times
Reputation: 3402
Quote:
Originally Posted by lekker View Post
Which neighborhoods in Los Angeles are the most bike friendly?
the neighborhood that is closest to your work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2009, 10:25 PM
 
Location: English, IN
6 posts, read 27,527 times
Reputation: 15
Talking Bike friendly

I've spent time riding and commuting in several areas. My favorite is Venice, Santa Monica area. For two reasons, the cooler temperatures, and the number of other outdoor-oriented people there. Also the beach trail can actually get you places except on weekends.

Here's some crude generalizations about other areas and the people who drive there:

Hollywood/West Hollywood - too many people on meth driving.

Brentwood/West LA - selfish, self asorbed, "I'm gonna let you know, I'm important" coked out a holes driving their leased cars in very violent fashion.

The Valley - too dang hot to ride most of the time! But also dangerous from too many women on their cell phones driving SUV's the size of a small houses. Several near-death experiences at the hands of above said women.

Silverlake - poor pavement conditions and steep hills, but OK people.

Beverly Center area - watch out for cabbies and aggressive men from the middle east.

Malibu - watch out for Nick Nolte and other washed up drunk actors behind the wheel.

Hope this offended at least on person without a sense of humor. And I hope this helps. I say Venice Beach - all the way! It's interesting to me that a stop light in that area, you can be stopped with up to 4 or 5 other cyclists. I was used to being the only bike at a red light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2009, 10:53 PM
 
Location: San Francisco/Haarlem, NL
39 posts, read 132,588 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketed View Post
I've spent time riding and commuting in several areas. My favorite is Venice, Santa Monica area. For two reasons, the cooler temperatures, and the number of other outdoor-oriented people there. Also the beach trail can actually get you places except on weekends.

Here's some crude generalizations about other areas and the people who drive there:

Hollywood/West Hollywood - too many people on meth driving.

Brentwood/West LA - selfish, self asorbed, "I'm gonna let you know, I'm important" coked out a holes driving their leased cars in very violent fashion.

The Valley - too dang hot to ride most of the time! But also dangerous from too many women on their cell phones driving SUV's the size of a small houses. Several near-death experiences at the hands of above said women.

Silverlake - poor pavement conditions and steep hills, but OK people.

Beverly Center area - watch out for cabbies and aggressive men from the middle east.

Malibu - watch out for Nick Nolte and other washed up drunk actors behind the wheel.

Hope this offended at least on person without a sense of humor. And I hope this helps. I say Venice Beach - all the way! It's interesting to me that a stop light in that area, you can be stopped with up to 4 or 5 other cyclists. I was used to being the only bike at a red light.
Funny and good information. Exactly what I was looking for!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2009, 10:58 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
56 posts, read 230,954 times
Reputation: 21
Downtown los angeles is one of the best locations by far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2009, 11:05 PM
 
Location: San Francisco/Haarlem, NL
39 posts, read 132,588 times
Reputation: 27
Can you take bikes on the metro downtown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2009, 12:11 AM
 
10,630 posts, read 23,942,401 times
Reputation: 6716
Quote:
Originally Posted by lekker View Post
Can you take bikes on the metro downtown?
Yes. People wheel them on quite frequently. It can get crowded, and I'm not sure what the technical rules are, but people certainly do it. You can also take them on the bus; not on as in "in" the bus, but they have bike racks on the front of the buses where you can stick them while you're riding. Just make sure to tell the bus driver when you get off that you'll be getting your bike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2009, 07:57 AM
 
11,151 posts, read 14,414,165 times
Reputation: 18808
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
You can also take them on the bus; not on as in "in" the bus, but they have bike racks on the front of the buses where you can stick them while you're riding. Just make sure to tell the bus driver when you get off that you'll be getting your bike.
The only caveat I'll add to this is that the buses can only carry, I believe, two bikes at a time. One day I was talking to someone at a bus stop, and she said she'd already had to let two or three buses go by because there wasn't room for her bike. Just plan ahead, I guess, and allow extra time in case you have to wait for a bus with an open bike rack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top