Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2009, 05:15 PM

19 posts, read 43,776 times

Advertisements

Can anyone suggest a nice community within commuting distance to Woodland Hills? 45 mins max commute would be desirable. Would love a small community with friendly, progressive people. Main Street, quirky restaurants, shops, etc. Low crime, nice places for kids & dogs. Am I dreaming or is this possible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 06:13 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,097,607 times
if you have kids, woodland hills would probably be your best bet, they have some of the best schools in the entire LAUSD. although it's not the most exciting area, there are malls nearby and plenty of stuff on ventura blvd. pretty much everywhere in LA will have what you are looking for to some extent, the bigger issue will be how you have to spend for housing.

Old 08-22-2009, 06:46 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,420,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlendyWee View Post
Am I dreaming
Renting or buying?
Budget?
What type of housing?
Ages of kids?
Spouse working too? Where?

Old 08-22-2009, 07:05 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,832,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlendyWee View Post
Can anyone suggest a nice community within commuting distance to Woodland Hills? 45 mins max commute would be desirable. Would love a small community with friendly, progressive people. Main Street, quirky restaurants, shops, etc. Low crime, nice places for kids & dogs. Am I dreaming or is this possible?
I see you had a post 3 minutes prior to this one telling someone to "come here" to LA and spend time in Santa Monica to see how they like it.

Where are you currently living here in LA? Will Woodland Hills be too much of a commute from where you are now?

If you can answer the questions Charles posted above it would be a great help as well to give you specific info instead generalities.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:17 PM

2,071 posts, read 11,988,757 times
I would move to Woodland Hills - very nice homes.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:11 AM

448 posts, read 1,598,858 times
Areas in the Valley closest to Ventura Blvd tend to be more progressive, especially in terms of politics, so that would include Woodland Hills. There are some interesting restaurants in Woodland Hills, some quirky, most of them are mainstream though. There's a broad range of restaurants from cheap to chic.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:16 PM

I gave advice to someone from London to visit before moving out - since I used to live over there and I know the desire of Brits to come to LA, I wanted to jump in. Not really connected to my question, as I am possibly taking a job in Woodland Hills but wanted to scope out a nice area to live in that would be a reasonable commute.

Would be renting a home to start with, have kids and dogs. Budget for rental home would be around $2500 per month - 3br. School quality is very important, just one elementary school age kid but he has some special educational needs. Live in AZ now and travel back and forth to So Cal often for work.

Thanks for the info!!

Old 08-24-2009, 09:37 PM

6 posts, read 11,872 times
Default Im thinkin woodland hills.

I just went to woodland hills. Iv'e been looking for somewhere to move and was turned onto woodland hills. It's not west LA or Santa Monica trendy but its basically what youre looking for. looks like it might have some descent restaurants. Ate at Ci Ci's and it was good a litte different. Schools, I read are the best public ones you can find in LA. The houses and views are amazing and its a short drive to Mailbu - Santa Monica via 405 or Topanga. Im thinking of moving there myself unless I find something better. I hear the 405 can be nasty at times.

My only complaint is that it seems like it could get boring, its the suburbs though. big pluses for me is the housing is a little cheaper, schools sound real good, beach and nightlife is a half hour away depending on traffic.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makin Moves View Post
I just went to woodland hills. Iv'e been looking for somewhere to move and was turned onto woodland hills. It's not west LA or Santa Monica trendy but its basically what youre looking for. looks like it might have some descent restaurants. Ate at Ci Ci's and it was good a litte different. Schools, I read are the best public ones you can find in LA. The houses and views are amazing and its a short drive to Mailbu - Santa Monica via 405 or Topanga. Im thinking of moving there myself unless I find something better. I hear the 405 can be nasty at times.

My only complaint is that it seems like it could get boring, its the suburbs though. big pluses for me is the housing is a little cheaper, schools sound real good, beach and nightlife is a half hour away depending on traffic.
Thanks - very good info. We are definitely moving now, so will be checking out this area along with some others closeby. Not sure yet where we want to settle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles