U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 09:06 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,936,811 times

Advertisements

Plenty of people in LA drive, and many ONLY drive (although many don't), but I agree with the others that there's a bit of a contradiction there (not the driving itself thing, but the reasons for why you don't want to drive; being around strangers, lots of strangers, comes with the territory with LA's urban neighborhoods); you may want to think carefully of what parts of an urban lifestyle you do want, what you don't, and what the realities will be like. Some of the most urban areas have a lot of noise, sometimes have safety issues, are filled with strangers (sometimes dirty, crazy, unpleasant strangers), are loud, are not places where I'd want to park an expensive car on the street. On the other hand, Orange County isn't exactly that far away, you're not making a major move, and if you hate city living you can easily move back (or to a different neighborhood within LA or the LA area); that's a luxury people with LA dreams from other parts of the country don't have. You might as well take advantage of that and give it a shot.

Downtown LA is sketchy in parts, but nice in others. If you're not bothered by Hollywood I don't think you'll be bothered by downtown, or at least the nicer parts of downtown. Hollywood is kind of seedy in parts, too. You're close enough that you should take some weekend trips and just walk around the various neighborhoods and see what you think.

Be warned, too, that a lot of people in LA don't want an acting career, fame, or money (well, I would have liked some money, but chose the wrong profession for that...). There are a lot of regular people going about their regular lives, just like people everywhere (including plenty of "boring" people, and families and kids, although some neighborhoods are more "minivan" oriented than others). It's all about who you're friends with, though, so if you hang out in the right places you can find a crowd that shares your interests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 09:19 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,553,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Plenty of people in LA drive, and many ONLY drive (although many don't), but I agree with the others that there's a bit of a contradiction there (not the driving itself thing, but the reasons for why you don't want to drive; being around strangers, lots of strangers, comes with the territory with LA's urban neighborhoods); you may want to think carefully of what parts of an urban lifestyle you do want, what you don't, and what the realities will be like. Some of the most urban areas have a lot of noise, sometimes have safety issues, are filled with strangers (sometimes dirty, crazy, unpleasant strangers), are loud, are not places where I'd want to park an expensive car on the street. On the other hand, Orange County isn't exactly that far away, you're not making a major move, and if you hate city living you can easily move back (or to a different neighborhood within LA or the LA area); that's a luxury people with LA dreams from other parts of the country don't have. You might as well take advantage of that and give it a shot.

Downtown LA is sketchy in parts, but nice in others. If you're not bothered by Hollywood I don't think you'll be bothered by downtown, or at least the nicer parts of downtown. Hollywood is kind of seedy in parts, too. You're close enough that you should take some weekend trips and just walk around the various neighborhoods and see what you think.

Be warned, too, that a lot of people in LA don't want an acting career, fame, or money (well, I would have liked some money, but chose the wrong profession for that...). There are a lot of regular people going about their regular lives, just like people everywhere (including plenty of "boring" people, and families and kids, although some neighborhoods are more "minivan" oriented than others). It's all about who you're friends with, though, so if you hang out in the right places you can find a crowd that shares your interests.
I think I like the nicer areas for a place of residence though, like Santa Monica or Studio City etc. Not downtown L.A, I would never want to live there because I have read that it is super loud there at night.

I do know that there are a lot of normal people in L.A who don't want an acting career, it's just that the vibe I get from L.A is a more exciting one than from OC for some reason. I always love to drive to the Staples center for concerts etc... At one point I thought about pursuing acting but I realized that it's not for me because I don't actually enjoy performing! You have to love to perform in order to act, even if your goal is television, and it's not a good reason to go into that field just for the lifestyle.

The only thing that I don't like is the crime. There is so much more crime in L.A overall than in OC. I realize that L.A is much bigger than O.C but a lot of homicides happen in the nicer areas too, not just in Compton and Watts. I am really phobic of dying a violent death (getting stabbed, shot, beat to death) so I always get freaked out when reading this The Homicide Report | Maywood: Luis Mora, 21 | Los Angeles Times
It's so common for someone to get killed that no one even leaves comments on the blog.

On the Ocregister site, in the local news area, if there is just ONE shooting in Santa Ana it's a huge deal and there will be like 100 comments from readers, but it seems like homicides are so common in L.A that no one even really cares much.

I think I am less likely to get hit by a stray bullet or die of violent crime at the hands of a robber/stranger in OC vs LA... That's the only good thing about OC.

Plus the driving too. I can't get over how narrow the streets in L.A are. It's much more difficult driving there.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:33 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,936,811 times
Ignore the homicide report. Well, no, don't ignore it. It plays a very important function in bringing to the public the tragic deaths of people who otherwise receive little media coverage. But do realize that random violent crime isn't particularly rampant in LA, and that much of the crime is concentrated in specific areas. For most people in LA crime and violence is exceedingly removed from daily life (which is why the Homicide Report does fill an important role); unless you decide to live in a really dangerous area, which is highly unlikely, the odds are that you will be fine. (and even if you did live in a terrible neighborhood the odds would still be in your favor.) When crime does happen in nice neighborhoods it's often not random. Pick your home with caution, but don't let fear of crime keep you from making the move. Bad stuff happens, but the chances are slim that it will happen to you, and you can reduce those odds even more with basic common sense safety precautions.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Ignore the homicide report. Well, no, don't ignore it. It plays a very important function in bringing to the public the tragic deaths of people who otherwise receive little media coverage. But do realize that random violent crime isn't particularly rampant in LA, and that much of the crime is concentrated in specific areas. For most people in LA crime and violence is exceedingly removed from daily life (which is why the Homicide Report does fill an important role); unless you decide to live in a really dangerous area, which is highly unlikely, the odds are that you will be fine. (and even if you did live in a terrible neighborhood the odds would still be in your favor.) When crime does happen in nice neighborhoods it's often not random. Pick your home with caution, but don't let fear of crime keep you from making the move. Bad stuff happens, but the chances are slim that it will happen to you, and you can reduce those odds even more with basic common sense safety precautions.
That's the thing that is disturbing; the fact that homicides are so common that there's little media coverage of these events.

In OC violent crimes are less common so most stories get a lot of coverage, even gang related shootings etc.

I would never live in a high-risk area in L.A though, I would much rather stay in OC.

I also noticed that rents in general are more expensive in L.A than OC... OC has more affordable housing in pretty safe areas. My 1 bedroom apartment in HB is VERY cheap and there are nuisances like; talkative neighbors, loud neighbors, people talking outside on the cells, the building itself is rather ugly etc but luckily NOTHING like shootings, drive by's, real violent crime, just small nuisances. Rent in L.A in a nice place seems to be higher.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:12 AM

2,178 posts, read 4,950,736 times
the really old buildings in the Wilshire district are what i have loved. when i was 17 in '77 i would take the bus downtown, get out & just walk around. i took some meditation lessons in a neighborhood down there & it was an excuse to spend hours going down the streets taking the long way to a distant bus stop to go home. the masonic temple was quite the sight.

years later when my son was in children's hospital i got to see downtown again & marvel at the wonderful tall buildings & the hollywood sign. i love the view coming towards LA proper & you can see the sky line. when i last saw it, it was still a mix of old & new... the old buildings weren't all gone. not sure how it looks now. it's been more than a decade since i last went that way.

if i were young & unencumbered, and living in the general vicinitiy of LA, i would hop on a bus & just wander around for a few hours. i'd take some precautions & watch my back but i'd have fun. i wouldn't be afraid to do it alone either. seemed to me there were never any aggressive people just waiting to harrass me.

the springfield bus in oregon, however, is a different trip. i'd ride through south central before i'd want to ride through springfield again... californians know how to keep to themselves on the bus, last i experienced of it. i'd ride in daylight, of course.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:53 AM

804 posts, read 2,200,945 times
All I can tell you is downtown LA is changing and it's not as sketchy as in the past. Lots of new developements and everything. LA live has also help bring life to the area too. So 'Jackie100' have you seen these new developments/changes in downtown LA yet?

Old 08-24-2009, 06:47 PM

4 posts, read 25,792 times
Question you're being satirical, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
Not really... I drive a Mercedes, why would I want to take public transportation and sit among strangers etc? I would find it very uncomfortable. Even with the parking problems of L.A I would still prefer to drive. I don't like taking public transportation at all, I just feel more comfortable by myself in my own vehicle.

Driving is a lot more productive than taking public transportation, it's much faster. I would never want to walk to a bus stop and then wait for a bus etc... It seems like a waste of time to sit outside and wait for the bus and having to walk to the bus stop. I'd much rather be stuck in traffic but be alone in my car listening to my music than sitting in a crowded bus.

In OC it's usually the low income people who take the bus, most people drive.

If you have a nice car I don't see the point of taking the bus even in L.A.

I LIKE to drive, I just don't like mini-vans in particular because it's too family oriented (reminds me of screeching children and loud babies). That's why I don't drive a mini-van... I LIKE driving NICE cars, just not mini vans... I just hate mini vans specifically but I love to drive MY car... get it?
which is exactly why we're so dependent on foreign oil that having access to oil has been one of, if not the dominant theme, of our country's foreign policy for the last century. if it wasn't for the auto and oil indudstries we'd still be riding the effecient trolley/light rail systems they lobbied to get rid of in favor of gas burning buses, ugly parking lots, and bulldozing entire neighborhoods to put in freeways and interstates.

Not everyone who rides the bus or subway is poor. I've ridden the subways to work and play in NY, DC, and now LA. While not able to afford a Mercedes (and why would I spend $40,000+ on a car in the first place) I am not poor. The mayor of NYC takes the subway to work, and he's worth billions. Is there something so vile and disgusting about poor people that you could be on the same train as them? But for the grace of god go us.

Just how productive are you while sitting in youir car? On my commute I'm reading a good biography about our second president and learning much about one of the founding fathers of our country. I trust you're not reading or working while driving up the 5 from newport beach.

buses and subways run on schedules. once you know the schedule, you don't wait too long for one because you know what time you need to leave in order to not have to wait outside. it's been my experience for the year 1/2 i've been here, they run close to schedule most of the time.

you say you want to live in the city, for the excitement but you are loathe to be around the very things (density, diversity, and danger) that generate that vitality.

The city becomes a vibrant place when people from different countries, cultures, and classes, converge and connect in commerce and cause contributing to the common weal and create a community. In other words, they're living life, not watching it from behind the windows of a Mercedes as they sit in traffic on the freeway

Last edited by cooper4fun; 08-24-2009 at 06:55 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 08-24-2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper4fun View Post
which is exactly why we're so dependent on foreign oil that having access to oil has been one of, if not the dominant theme, of our country's foreign policy for the last century. if it wasn't for the auto and oil indudstries we'd still be riding the effecient trolley/light rail systems they lobbied to get rid of in favor of gas burning buses, ugly parking lots, and bulldozing entire neighborhoods to put in freeways and interstates.

Not everyone who rides the bus or subway is poor. I've ridden the subways to work and play in NY, DC, and now LA. While not able to afford a Mercedes (and why would I spend $40,000+ on a car in the first place) I am not poor. The mayor of NYC takes the subway to work, and he's worth billions. Is there something so vile and disgusting about poor people that you could be on the same train as them? But for the grace of god go us.

Just how productive are you while sitting in youir car? On my commute I'm reading a good biography about our second president and learning much about one of the founding fathers of our country. I trust you're not reading or working while driving up the 5 from newport beach.

buses and subways run on schedules. once you know the schedule, you don't wait too long for one because you know what time you need to leave in order to not have to wait outside. it's been my experience for the year 1/2 i've been here, they run close to schedule most of the time.

you say you want to live in the city, for the excitement but you are loathe to be around the very things (density, diversity, and danger) that generate that vitality.

The city becomes a vibrant place when people from different countries, cultures, and classes, converge and connect in commerce and cause contributing to the common weal and create a community. In other words, they're living life, not watching it from behind the windows of a Mercedes as they sit in traffic on the freeway
Sorry, I'm not as intellectual as you. I personal would rather listen to music or the radio while driving instead of sitting next to a bunch of strangers reading the biography of the second president of the U.S

I ENJOY driving and listening to music. I'd rather do that then read some book. I am being just being 100 percent honest. A lot of people would not be as honest as me. I love listening to music. I would rather do that and cruise then be reading some book any day.

Not everything is about being productive all the time. Personally I like to drive and enjoy the view, take a cruise while listening to my favorite songs.

Also, I don't have to commute, I work from home.

Another thing, when I go shopping sometimes I end up with 10+ shopping bags. Do you think I'm going to walk and carry/push that around when going on the bus? Why when I can just throw it in the trunk...

I don't know what your problem is but PLENTY of people in LA just DRIVE without ever taking public transportation. That's the majority of people. L.A sprawled out and a car is a necessity. for example if you want to get from Hollywood to SF valley or from Downtown to Malibu etc.

Last edited by jackie100; 08-24-2009 at 08:22 PM..

Old 08-25-2009, 02:54 PM

2,178 posts, read 4,950,736 times
Quote:
Sorry, I'm not as intellectual as you. I personal would rather listen to music or the radio while driving instead of sitting next to a bunch of strangers reading the biography of the second president of the U.S

I ENJOY driving and listening to music. I'd rather do that then read some book. I am being just being 100 percent honest. A lot of people would not be as honest as me. I love listening to music. I would rather do that and cruise then be reading some book any day.

Not everything is about being productive all the time. Personally I like to drive and enjoy the view, take a cruise while listening to my favorite songs.

Also, I don't have to commute, I work from home.

Another thing, when I go shopping sometimes I end up with 10+ shopping bags. Do you think I'm going to walk and carry/push that around when going on the bus? Why when I can just throw it in the trunk...

I don't know what your problem is but PLENTY of people in LA just DRIVE without ever taking public transportation. That's the majority of people. L.A sprawled out and a car is a necessity. for example if you want to get from Hollywood to SF valley or from Downtown to Malibu etc.
most of the intellectuals i know on the bus are listening to their mp3's or READING.

on this forum:

you appear to be afraid of being alone outside your car/house. you appear to be deathly afraid of strangers outside of the internet.

you posed a premise here that seemed actually baseless since you stated you were attracted to something you are afraid to explore. when anyone gives you heartfelt advice, you poopoo them because the advice isn't worthy of your "status" in life...

if you'd stated in your premise that you drive a BMW, then we would have all been SO much more helpful! [mod cut: inappropriate]

sigh. there is life after BMW ownership, isn't there?

Last edited by uptown_urbanist; 08-25-2009 at 09:13 PM..

Old 08-25-2009, 08:39 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,964,385 times
For what its worth, my niece and her husband grew up in OC, always drove. But since the rail lines have sprouted up downtown, Hollywood, Pasadena, etc they prefer the train. That said, I DO love winding through and around downtown in a car, at night. I loved it when I was a OC kid, driving up for gigs, and I still love it now that I am an Angeleno.

Quote:
Not really... I drive a Mercedes, why would I want to take public transportation and sit among strangers etc? I would find it very uncomfortable. Even with the parking problems of L.A I would still prefer to drive. I don't like taking public transportation at all, I just feel more comfortable by myself in my own vehicle.

Driving is a lot more productive than taking public transportation, it's much faster. I would never want to walk to a bus stop and then wait for a bus etc... It seems like a waste of time to sit outside and wait for the bus and having to walk to the bus stop. I'd much rather be stuck in traffic but be alone in my car listening to my music than sitting in a crowded bus.

In OC it's usually the low income people who take the bus, most people drive.

If you have a nice car I don't see the point of taking the bus even in L.A.

I LIKE to drive, I just don't like mini-vans in particular because it's too family oriented (reminds me of screeching children and loud babies). That's why I don't drive a mini-van... I LIKE driving NICE cars, just not mini vans... I just hate mini vans specifically but I love to drive MY car... get it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles