Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 06:03 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,959,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Keep in mind that there are a wide variety of environments in LA, even in the more affordable areas. There are also many safe neighborhoods. Overall it's certainly more dense and a more urban experience than Orange County, but given that they both run together into one big large urbanized area I guess I don't see that much of a difference between living in LA and Orange County (between specific neighborhoods or cities, yes, but as a whole, not so much.)

As far as noise, we lived in Hollywood for awhile, with a bedroom facing the (very busy) street; my husband had to sleep with earplugs for the first few months, but we got used to it. There are many other streets that are a lot quieter, though.

If you really don't like living in OC, and do want quiet and safe but still much closer to downtown LA or other more classic city areas, there are places that can do that for you. If not, well, you live just a short (relatively) drive or a train ride away, so at least you can easily get in and out to get your city fix when you want it.
To me L.A is more glamorous and exciting because it's the big city. OC is too family oriented and too quiet and too safe (a good thing but sometimes a bad thing). I live in Huntington Beach and it is WAY too family oriented. It's like for boring suburban families who go to bed at 10 p.m I feel like I'm living in a small boring town.

It's not exciting and vibrant as Sunset Blvd or the Hollywood area... Huntington Beach makes me feel dead inside, like it drained the life out of me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 06:35 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
The surf is nice down there in Huntington Beach.

Are you sure you know what you want? You think having problems with the neighbors is bad because they use the cell phone outside their appartment, or you can hear them talk while you work at home. LA is even more congested and may be more of a problem for you.

Old 08-23-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
The surf is nice down there in Huntington Beach.

Are you sure you know what you want? You think having problems with the neighbors is bad because they use the cell phone outside their appartment, or you can hear them talk while you work at home. LA is even more congested and may be more of a problem for you.
True but I think I love L.A so much and it will be so exciting for me to live there and be in a "new" environment that I will be able to deal with it. I think I'm just so depressed in OC that every little thing aggravates me. If I was in L.A I might attribute the noise (people partying, talking on cells) to just "part of living in the big city" and not mind as much.

Old 08-23-2009, 06:52 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,438,813 times
I think Pasadena might be a good fit for you. You could live close enough to Colorado Blvd. which is a fibrant downtown that has people out late and you can catch the Gold Line to downtown L.A. (for your tall building fix) and also connect there to Hollywood. Thus you have a nice downtown where you live but are also close to L.A.

Old 08-23-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
I think Pasadena might be a good fit for you. You could live close enough to Colorado Blvd. which is a fibrant downtown that has people out late and you can catch the Gold Line to downtown L.A. (for your tall building fix) and also connect there to Hollywood. Thus you have a nice downtown where you live but are also close to L.A.
Thanks for the advice. I'll read up on that area. I don't take public transportation though, I much rather prefer driving my car (even with the parking and all).

Another area that I personally like so far is : Santa Monica

Old 08-23-2009, 08:20 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,608,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
I just hate suburbia. It makes me feel depressed. I don't like the family mini-van thing.
Quote:
. I don't take public transportation though, I much rather prefer driving my car (even with the parking and all).
You do realize that these two statements basically contradict themselves, right?

Old 08-23-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
You do realize that these two statements basically contradict themselves, right?
Not really... I drive a Mercedes, why would I want to take public transportation and sit among strangers etc? I would find it very uncomfortable. Even with the parking problems of L.A I would still prefer to drive. I don't like taking public transportation at all, I just feel more comfortable by myself in my own vehicle.

Driving is a lot more productive than taking public transportation, it's much faster. I would never want to walk to a bus stop and then wait for a bus etc... It seems like a waste of time to sit outside and wait for the bus and having to walk to the bus stop. I'd much rather be stuck in traffic but be alone in my car listening to my music than sitting in a crowded bus.

In OC it's usually the low income people who take the bus, most people drive.

If you have a nice car I don't see the point of taking the bus even in L.A.

I LIKE to drive, I just don't like mini-vans in particular because it's too family oriented (reminds me of screeching children and loud babies). That's why I don't drive a mini-van... I LIKE driving NICE cars, just not mini vans... I just hate mini vans specifically but I love to drive MY car... get it?

Old 08-23-2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Not really... I drive a Mercedes, why would I want to take public transportation and sit among strangers etc? I would find it very uncomfortable. Even with the parking problems of L.A I would still prefer to drive. I don't like taking public transportation at all, I just feel more comfortable by myself in my own vehicle.
OK, well you can go ahead and drive your car, I mean it is still L.A. and most people drive. Part of the "urban" lifestyle people often look for is car free or non-car dominated living and value having the ability to use stuff like the light rail and subway system.

If you are uncomfortable though sitting around stranger though on a subway, I do have questions if you are really the type of personality that is into urban living. Will you freak out about homeless people on the streets? Will you get annoyed by crowded sidewalks? Will you get annoyed if your Mercedes gets broken into (even in the most expensive urban areas)? Will you get annoyed by density? etc.... Public transportation is often people into urban living gravitate towards and one of the biggest reasons they like it. If you shy away from that, I'm just wondering what elements make you think you fit the urban lifestyle?

Old 08-23-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
OIf you shy away from that, I'm just wondering what elements make you think you fit the urban lifestyle?
I like Sunset blvd, the hip and trendy restaurants, the style of the city and its citizens (L.A is more trendier and stylish than OC)... I like the fact that it's busy and hectic and that everyone wants to pursue something, fame, money, an acting career... I don't like the slow pace of OC... OC is just too slow, it's too dead, there's no one out late at night, it's too family oriented (more for families and old people). It's just not exciting.

I like the urban lifestyle but I do not like taking public transportation personally. I just prefer driving my own car. A lot of people who live in L.A drive. Celebs always drive etc. L.A is sprawled out, you gotta drive to get around effectively from city to city... A lot of people have said that it's best to have a vehicle to get around in L.A. If people choose they may take public transportation but it isn't a requirement in order to enjoy the life in L.A.

If I was forced to, I would rather take a taxi then take the bus (say for example if I had to go to the airport or something). Waiting for the bus and taking the bus is just not for me.

I won't freak out about the homeless people on the street. I live in Huntington Beach in OC and sometimes I see people with a sign on the street too that says "homeless" asking for money or something. I just ignore them but I don't get freaked out. Of course I realize there are more homeless people in L.A. I would personally stick to the nicer areas and I would be driving most of the time so it wouldn't bother me. I heard downtown L.A is sketchy actually. I much prefer Hollywood and the sunset area...

Old 08-23-2009, 09:05 PM

^^
OK. I wish you the best of luck, I just hope you don't get in over your head. You seem pretty set on this though. I too live in Orange County and am a big fan of Los Angeles (just find this a much better place at my age and for raising a family).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles