U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-28-2009, 12:07 PM
 
24 posts, read 87,865 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Oh no you didn't.... Tell me you didn't say North Hollywood.

Just kidding.... Actually if you stay south of burbank blvd, you should be fine.

So North Hollywood is not so great???

I am hoping fro Studio City, ok with Sherman Oaks....


ENCINO? is that long drive to BH, or STUDIO city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-02-2009, 04:38 AM
 
4,261 posts, read 9,010,386 times
Reputation: 3262
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretelGuz View Post
So North Hollywood is not so great???

I am hoping fro Studio City, ok with Sherman Oaks....


ENCINO? is that long drive to BH, or STUDIO city?
Why Encino? Its a longer drive to BH. Studio City is about a 10 minute drive even with traffic.

But why Encino when you were considering Sherman Oaks/Burbank/Toluca Lake/Studio City?

The reason people place Burbank so high for families is because the public schools there are very good. Burbank is its own city and has its own school district. The other towns are all within the City of Los Angeles and actually have schools that are in the Los Angeles Unified School District. While these areas have pretty good schools, particularly some of those in Sherman Oaks, they are still subject to LAUSD mandated cirriculum. That is a bad thing. I had a friend work for LAUSD and the teachers have to go through a several week course before they are allowed to work for LAUSD. He showed me the mandated cirriculum and its not good. Basically a very heavy emphasis on social engineering and cultural aspects, combined with a de-emphasis on the three r's. So even the better LAUSD schools can't compete with a normal school district that teaches a standard cirriculum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2009, 09:11 AM
 
24 posts, read 87,865 times
Reputation: 11
Is burbank a closer drive than Encino? (drive to BH).

We really want Studio City/ Toluca Lake/Sherman oaks - but we are renting a house ( 3bedroom - must have a pool for 4000 or under) -and I am concerned about being able to find a place in our desired areas - so looking for a back-up area. Currently our realtor only has 1 place in studio city was fits our wish list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2009, 12:09 PM
 
Location: SoCal - Sherman Oaks & Woodland Hills
12,977 posts, read 30,316,801 times
Reputation: 10491
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretelGuz View Post
Is burbank a closer drive than Encino? (drive to BH).

We really want Studio City/ Toluca Lake/Sherman oaks - but we are renting a house ( 3bedroom - must have a pool for 4000 or under) -and I am concerned about being able to find a place in our desired areas - so looking for a back-up area. Currently our realtor only has 1 place in studio city was fits our wish list.
A lot of what you're posting here you should be asking your realtor. Are you currently in LA so that you can see the properties yourself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2009, 02:09 PM
 
1,465 posts, read 4,659,307 times
Reputation: 852
Just to throw something else into the mix, this is more for the people that have provided such great input already. What about over the hill, like Hancock Park or something. Anything there work for her requirements?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2009, 07:23 PM
 
24 posts, read 87,865 times
Reputation: 11
I am currently in NYC. I just got in touch with a realtor. I am flying out there in 3 weeks to see for myself. Thanks for all the insights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2009, 07:44 PM
 
Location: LA
304 posts, read 841,349 times
Reputation: 98
If I were ranking the four areas you mentioned I would need to know what was most important to you?
Value for your money?
Status?
Schools?
Rub elbows with money?
Shopping?
Golf course?

Toluca Lake south of Camelia.
Sherman Oaks south of Ventura.
Studio City south of Ventura
Burbank Rancho only.

Having said that, there are good properties in all four areas.
Burbank is its own town which is pretty great. But it still has Johnie Carson's hoakey reputation. Too bad, The Rancho is fantastic. Roughly that is south of Alameda and bounded by studios on west side and LA EQ on East.

Studio City is more chic.Toluca Lake has a little old money left so its classier.
Sherman Oaks is growing by the day. I saw a house the other day I know was in Van Nuys but was billed as Sherman Oaks.

Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2009, 08:50 AM
 
7,067 posts, read 7,031,905 times
Reputation: 6538
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffavail View Post
If I were ranking the four areas you mentioned I would need to know what was most important to you?
Value for your money?
Status?
Schools?
Rub elbows with money?
Shopping?
Golf course?

Toluca Lake south of Camelia.
Sherman Oaks south of Ventura.
Studio City south of Ventura
Burbank Rancho only.

Having said that, there are good properties in all four areas.
Burbank is its own town which is pretty great. But it still has Johnie Carson's hoakey reputation. Too bad, The Rancho is fantastic. Roughly that is south of Alameda and bounded by studios on west side and LA EQ on East.

Studio City is more chic.Toluca Lake has a little old money left so its classier.
Sherman Oaks is growing by the day. I saw a house the other day I know was in Van Nuys but was billed as Sherman Oaks.

Hope that helps.
A couple weeks a go an area around kester, sepulveda near burbank blvd was approved to change from van nuys to sherman oaks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top