Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2009, 05:13 PM

60 posts, read 105,001 times

Advertisements

HI. where can i find a cheap stay in LA? the cheapest i can find is the STAY hostel in downtown LA but i dont like that it does not have free parking(i have a car) and it is dangerous at night.

i have an idea. like travelers on a budget in NY their big idea is to stay in NJ cheap hotels then drive to NY since they have cars like i do.

so can anyone recommend a place that's cheap that's near LA? like neighboring towns that have cheap price hotels since i have a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 10:18 PM

52 posts, read 196,651 times
You might want to mention what your budget is and how far you are willing to drive. In general, hotels in Southern California are expensive (i.e. a cheap hotel is around $100 a night.) Not sure about hostels?

Old 08-29-2009, 10:55 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
I agree; "near" and "cheap" can be highly subjective. As far as distance, LA isn't like NYC in that many tourists are all going to head for one central area (i.e. Manhattan); it's massive, doesn't have one central tourist destination, and is just an overall different kind of city than places like NYC.

Are you planning on driving once you arrive in town, or do you plan on leaving the car mostly at the hotel/motel/hostel while you explore LA? What parts of LA are you planning on visiting the most while you're in town?

Old 08-30-2009, 04:48 AM

60 posts, read 105,001 times
omg... is it really $100? my goodness. well then the $45 a night i see in hotels.com is a good deal then. i was hoping to spend $20 a night. and actually in vegas where i will be coming from there is a $9/night. guess i shld opt for the "bargain" $45 a night then. actually where else could you recommend to go aside from hollywood, beverly hills, malibu, south beach what is a must place a first time LA tourist must go? oh, and I'm filipina, so I wanna go to goldilock's, red ribbon, a few Philippine stores that i was told was brought in LA. I know there's a lot of Filipinos in CA, but where is the Filipino community where i think i will find the Philippine stores i was told about.

as far as driving my car, it depends on how far my target destination is from where i'm staying. i didn't know though that u can take public transportation in LA. i know NY and chicago is known for their easy access to public transportation.

i searched hotels.com again since everyone said the common rate is $100/night so i think this is a "bargain":

http://www.hotels.com/property.do?se...on=0&CIMonth=9

is this near the tourist attractions in LA? i dont mind driving.

Last edited by iamhgp; 08-30-2009 at 05:47 AM..

Old 08-30-2009, 07:53 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,664,218 times
Your link shows the motel is in Redwood city. That is 326 miles from downtown LA! It's closer to San Francisco than LA

If you stay east of LA in the vicinity of the 5 and 605 freeways you can find something in the $60.00 range. Try the Budget Inn in Santa Fe Springs. It is right on the 5 fwy which is the main route to wherever you are going. This area is just west of Anaheim where disneyland is and only about 15 miles from downtown LA and 25 miles from Hollywood.

If you are into dorm living there is a youth hostel in Venice that is near the beach. It only got a 68% rating so it probably isn't great but there is parking available. Definately stay away from Downtown.

However, if you are coming during the labor day weekend, you may have a problem finding a reasonable rate anywhere.

When you are here, do not leave anything in your car. Lock it all in the trunk. Anything visible in the front or back seat is an invitation for a break in.

Whatever you decide to do, you had better have a plan and a map when you come here. If not, you will waste your whole visit driving around and see nothing. Also look up Filipinotown on the web. The location is just west of LA in the Silver Lake district. That is probably where you will find the shops you are looking for.

Last edited by yukiko11; 08-30-2009 at 08:13 AM..

Old 08-30-2009, 09:24 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,425,820 times
There are lots of cheap hostels in nice locations in LA. I can personally vouch for several. PM me if you want their info.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:34 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,548,973 times
Lightbulb a tip or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamhgp View Post
omg... is it really $100? my goodness. well then the $45 a night i see in hotels.com is a good deal then. i was hoping to spend $20 a night. and actually in vegas where i will be coming from there is a $9/night. guess i shld opt for the "bargain" $45 a night then. actually where else could you recommend to go aside from hollywood, beverly hills, malibu, south beach what is a must place a first time LA tourist must go? oh, and I'm filipina, so I wanna go to goldilock's, red ribbon, a few Philippine stores that i was told was brought in LA. I know there's a lot of Filipinos in CA, but where is the Filipino community where i think i will find the Philippine stores i was told about.

as far as driving my car, it depends on how far my target destination is from where i'm staying. i didn't know though that u can take public transportation in LA. i know NY and chicago is known for their easy access to public transportation.

i searched hotels.com again since everyone said the common rate is $100/night so i think this is a "bargain":

hotels.com - WE KNOW HOTELS INSIDE AND OUT.®

is this near the tourist attractions in LA? i dont mind driving.
beware bed sheets: always check for freshness.

my boyfriend thought I was a freak checking the sheets immediately but he learned right on the spot what I was worried about: there were tell tale signs the sheets weren't fresh. little personal types of hairs scattered all over: more obvious than my usual discovery.

I always check for wrinkles, tissues, hairs: any sign the sheets weren't changed, ever since a terrible meet up with a crab infestation when I was 20. The first thing I do when I go in a room is to pull back the covers.

I've even asked to check the room before paying, in some neighborhoods!

About half the time, even at the nicest Best Westerns & Holiday Inns, I have to go back to the office to either ask for a different room or to ask for my money back. I never have a problem, other than moving my stuff or having to find a different motel.

Another thing: if you rent a room at a hotel/motel: BEWARE the doors that don't self lock. The ONE time I rented a room without self locking doors, I awakened to a woman in our room going through our things!!! In the end, I got my purse back a week later & no one got hurt, miraculously.

Be careful!

Kate

PS: Torrance & the general South Bay have a good Asian Community base. There's a place called Marukai that you may enjoy - there's a Marukai store in Torrance, as well as other locations: MARUKAI CORPORATION (http://www.marukai.com/location-e.html#marukaiTorrance - broken link)

There are places in the South Bay serving Filipino food: Torrance Filipino Restaurants

I'm excited for you: have fun!

Old 09-01-2009, 03:13 PM

304 posts, read 931,076 times
redwood city is near san francisco!

Old 09-02-2009, 03:25 PM

422 posts, read 1,818,541 times
You might try Hollywood Hostel or Banana Bungalow. And there are many more if you search Google.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles