U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 11:37 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,268,344 times

Advertisements

Here are some of my favorite places:

Main Street in Santa Monica - lower key, but much more interesting than the Promenade IMO

Los Feliz - great place to have dinner and catch a movie without going to the typical mall multiplex. There's the purple art deco(?) Los Feliz theaters right on Vermont and farther down on Hollywood Blvd, you've got the Vista Theater.

Hollywood Blvd - sure it's touristy, especially near Highland, but you can't deny that the busy street activity gives off an exciting energy that's difficult match in LA

Little Ethiopia and Thai Town - really just for good cheap food in an unpretentious, un-trendy atmosphere. In other words, they're the antithesis to all the superficial/snobby aspects of LA that I can't stand.

Zuma Beach - clean water, soft sand, great waves, my favorite beach in LA County

Topanga Canyon Park - wilderness right on the edge of LA. Great place to go for a hike.

Griffith Observatory - THE best view of Los Angeles. It's simply magical at night and a visit here always serves as a reminder of how LA can be such an amazing city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 12:32 PM

1,577 posts, read 3,086,327 times
Koreatown and Thai Town...and West LA Little Tokyo! (The original LT is ok too but it's getting kinda generic gentrified.)

I also used to like hanging out at any of the Virgin Megastores. My faves were Sunset, Costa Mesa, Orange. I could literally spend all day there. They're all gone now. I like Amoeba well enough...but it's just not the same.

My favorite mall used to be the Block at Orange - it seemed to have a little bit of everything. But Virgin Mega is gone and Borders is in trouble, I'm not so sure I would go out of my way to stop there anymore. (At least it didn't degenerate as badly as Triangle Square...yet.) When I lived in SD, I used to stop by there on my way back from LA every time, & stayed at Virgin Megastore until closing.

Old 09-06-2009, 05:17 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,557,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post

My favorite mall used to be the Block at Orange - it seemed to have a little bit of everything. But Virgin Mega is gone and Borders is in trouble, I'm not so sure I would go out of my way to stop there anymore. (At least it didn't degenerate as badly as Triangle Square...yet.) When I lived in SD, I used to stop by there on my way back from LA every time, & stayed at Virgin Megastore until closing.

Block at the Orange doesn't have any high-end clothing stores... They only have a lame saks fifth avenue OUTLET and some real ghetto Guess G store or something like that. If you want to browse records than I guess the Virgin Mega is ok but if you want to go clothes shopping the only place to be in OC is South Coast plaza. The Block has some ugly no-name stores... I went there once and almost died from boredom.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
Block at the Orange doesn't have any high-end clothing stores... They only have a lame saks fifth avenue OUTLET and some real ghetto Guess G store or something like that. If you want to browse records than I guess the Virgin Mega is ok but if you want to go clothes shopping the only place to be in OC is South Coast plaza. The Block has some ugly no-name stores... I went there once and almost died from boredom.
Well, as far as my mall preferences goes I don't really care so much about "high-end" clothing stores. I care more about records, yes, and the Block used to be such a fun place to go to (their logo is great!) but as far as clothing goes, I care more about something that fits me well and looks good on me anyday. The G store is just fine and the workers are not inaccessible. I agree, Off Fifth is lame.

Old 09-08-2009, 04:49 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,557,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
Well, as far as my mall preferences goes I don't really care so much about "high-end" clothing stores. I care more about records, yes, and the Block used to be such a fun place to go to (their logo is great!) but as far as clothing goes, I care more about something that fits me well and looks good on me anyday. The G store is just fine and the workers are not inaccessible. I agree, Off Fifth is lame.
Also, the block has lots of gangsta-wannabes or gangsta types there... Not really a high class type of place, lots of thugs and such...

Old 09-08-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
Also, the block has lots of gangsta-wannabes or gangsta types there... Not really a high class type of place, lots of thugs and such...
I agree it's not high class (which is one reason I liked it) but I did not notice gangsta-wannabes/gangsta types. Lots of kids (<20) though.

Old 09-14-2009, 04:04 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,996,809 times
A few regular hangouts.
House of Blues 8430 Sunset
Standard Rooftop Bar 550 S Flower St
Hugo`s Sherman Oaks 12851 Riverside
Amoeba 6400 W Sunset

Old 09-15-2009, 11:52 AM

13,692 posts, read 16,076,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
In a practical sense, I enjoyed the 3rd street promenade because I could enjoy it and also walk or ride my bike to the beach; so, that's two different types of things to enjoy within about 1/2 mile of each other.

Dodger games

Mulholland Drive

Laserium when it was at Griffith Park

Santa Anita Racetrack

Another multiple destination: Peterson Automotive Museum (this place is incredible) and Melrose and Farmers Market and the Grove. All within walking distance of each other.

Universal City Walk (though I haven't been there in at least ten years)
Lemme tell ya - Grove and Petersen and Melrose are NOT IN WALKING DISTANCE OF EACH OTHER.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:01 AM

2,178 posts, read 4,956,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
What are your favorite spots to hang outs in LA or CA?
Favorite hang outs:

Cozy Cafe on Torrance Blvd & PCH in RB. http://www.yelp.com/biz/cozy-cafe-redondo-beach

Veteran's Park where the old library used to be in RB. http://www.dailybreeze.com/bogert/ci_13323497
http://www.yelp.com/biz/veterans-park-redondo-beach

Used book store, Book Again in Torrance: http://www.bookagain.com/

Kate

Last edited by sarahkate_m; 09-30-2009 at 09:06 AM.. Reason: **LiNkS**

Old 09-30-2009, 10:53 AM

2,318 posts, read 7,130,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkate_m View Post
Favorite hang outs:
Used book store, Book Again in Torrance: Book Again - New & Used Books
Nice! I'm always down for a good used bookstore. I'll have to check that place out. Have you been to Dave's Olde Book Shop? Used to be in Manhattan Beach on Sepulveda and recently relocated to Artesia near the 405. Really good used bookstore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or