U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 08:40 AM

4,126 posts, read 4,579,052 times

Advertisements

If you're going to make it as a film maker, I see no reason why you couldn't make it in Chicago. It is after all a very large world class city.

If you're moving for the weather, I can understand that but bear in mind there is a saying in Florida that your wife can no doubt confirm, "Sunshine don't pay the bills."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 09:01 AM

152 posts, read 533,988 times
Nita: I'm not listening only to those who say go for it; it's just that who says don't do it are giving motivations which reflect the same negative aspects of Chicago (cost of living, traffic, taxes, etc).

Old 08-27-2009, 10:41 AM

2,497 posts, read 6,527,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabry76 View Post
Nita: I'm not listening only to those who say go for it; it's just that who says don't do it are giving motivations which reflect the same negative aspects of Chicago (cost of living, traffic, taxes, etc).
Chicago is expensive. VERY expensive as of late. I spend more in Chicago than I do in LA. Not to mention Chi road construction is a never ending inconvenience.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:10 PM

1,368 posts, read 2,993,531 times
People in LA overestimate how expensive it is compared to other large cities. It is expensive, but it is not as much of a difference as most people (IMO) on this forum lead others to believe.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drshang View Post
People in LA overestimate how expensive it is compared to other large cities. It is expensive, but it is not as much of a difference as most people (IMO) on this forum lead others to believe.
Very true. The only thing I never understood though is when people say "LA is endless opportunity" maybe ya just gotta connect with the right people, but I never had much luck there getting my stories out But I'll probably try again

Old 08-27-2009, 01:38 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,965,763 times
I found LA to be about the same as living in DC, and cheaper than living in San Francisco. Not sure how it compares to Chicago. But even if it isn't the most expensive city around, cost of living (especially if you have kids, and/or you want to buy a place) is still pretty expensive, which is probably what at least some posters are trying to get at. In other words, most people don't move to LA because they want to live a cheaper lifestyle. As far as endless opportunity, that probably depends on the field. It's a major city, which does mean huge amounts of opportunity, but, of course, also a lot of competition.

If he moves with a job lined up (for him or his wife) then I think he'll be fine. I think they'll have a tougher time finding new jobs in LA than in Chicago simply because so many jobs do depend on networking and personal contacts, and it sounds like they have no "ins" in LA. Still, it won't hurt to try.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:46 PM

75,071 posts, read 87,489,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I found LA to be about the same as living in DC, and cheaper than living in San Francisco. Not sure how it compares to Chicago. But even if it isn't the most expensive city around, cost of living (especially if you have kids, and/or you want to buy a place) is still pretty expensive, which is probably what at least some posters are trying to get at. In other words, most people don't move to LA because they want to live a cheaper lifestyle. As far as endless opportunity, that probably depends on the field. It's a major city, which does mean huge amounts of opportunity, but, of course, also a lot of competition.

If he moves with a job lined up (for him or his wife) then I think he'll be fine. I think they'll have a tougher time finding new jobs in LA than in Chicago simply because so many jobs do depend on networking and personal contacts, and it sounds like they have no "ins" in LA. Still, it won't hurt to try.
and one thing everyone needs to remember, he has a job in Chicago, his wife is the one unemployed. If they both were we would be talking a different thing.

I know there are those who always say, go for it, chase your dreams and some of us, me included that say move gently and think before you jump. If it was just him or just he and his wife, it might be a little different. When there are kids involved life takes on a new meaning. Not being happy in a place is understandable, having dreams are wonderful, we all have had them, many of us still do, but ending up on the street with a little child is not what most of us would ever want, even if we have to give up our dreams temporarily or forever.

The one dream hubby and I always had, to own a race horse. We planned, researched, have a few friends that did own them and were sure it would work for us. One day or maybe not all at once, we realized it would not happen. Now, as seniors we know our lives did not come to an end because we didn't fulfill our dreams. The same thing when hubby thought about going back and getting his masters in TV news broadcasting. He had a couple of professors from college that he trusted. Both said, think twice now that you are father. He didn't persue his dream, we survived and have never looked back.

Nita

Old 08-27-2009, 04:08 PM

152 posts, read 533,988 times
As I said in my previous posts, I would never, ever ever move without either one of us having a job lined up first!! I may be a dreamer but I'm also a very responsible person! And you can't compare buying a horse with choosing a career or the place where you live; with all due respect you're comparing oranges with apples. Certainly our lives won't stop if we stay put in Chicago and I don't become a filmmaker but I'm definetely not letting life pass me by!

Old 08-27-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabry76 View Post
As I said in my previous posts, I would never, ever ever move without either one of us having a job lined up first!! I may be a dreamer but I'm also a very responsible person! And you can't compare buying a horse with choosing a career or the place where you live; with all due respect you're comparing oranges with apples. Certainly our lives won't stop if we stay put in Chicago and I don't become a filmmaker but I'm definetely not letting life pass me by!
Do you like scary movies? Lots of them coming out of LA. I have tried here in the midwest to make horror movies and it's near impossible. Not enough resources. No matter the genre, you will have much more resources in LA.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:42 PM

5,610 posts, read 21,114,855 times
A lot of people here, including the OP, keep saying "find a job in LA before you move." How on earth do you expect to do that in this job market? Have any of you actually tried doing that in the last year? I have. From my experience, it doesn't matter if the job you are applying for is in Los Angeles or if it's in Omaha-- NO ONE will even look at your resume as a non-local candidate... unless if you are truly a big shot with some one-of-a-kind expertise. It's always fun to dream though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles