Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2009, 10:29 PM

5 posts, read 7,028 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

Lucky I found this site. Plenty of great information for those thinking about transplanting.

I'm 23, single, living with parents right now, and looking to move out. I've been born and raised in NYC (Queens), however I don't want to 'venture' out here. It's always been my dream to move to CA and I'm considering the move and asking for advice, especially from those similar to my situation.

My job is considering relocating me to our Chatsworth office, so I suppose I'd live somewhere by there, any recommendations? I'd say my living budget would ideally be 1200 (hopefully including utilities). I'd prefer not to live with someone and rather secure a studio or 1 br. I probably will also have a car.

How is this area? Crime/gangs/etc? I've only been to Chatsworth once, and while I generally got a good vibe - living is different.

Finally, any 20-something New Yorkers care to share LA's 'nightlife' with me? Lots of cool things to do? I suppose I wouldn't mind driving to different places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 10:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,771,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPIndustrie View Post
Finally, any 20-something New Yorkers care to share LA's 'nightlife' with me? Lots of cool things to do? I suppose I wouldn't mind driving to different places.
I'm not New Yorker, but I've lived in NYC and I'm 20something and ughhh, do yourself a favor and stay where you are.

And the Valley of all places! Ugh. If you're coming to LA, find someplace on the Westside. I would be very depressed moving from NYC to Chatsworth.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:14 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,023,434 times
Sherman Oaks is a really good area and close to Chatsworth. Plus I believe you'd be going against traffic for that commute (but I could be wrong). I'd recommend you live near Ventura Blvd since that's where all the retail/restaurants are located in the area.

As far as nightlife, there's really not too much in the Valley, but you'd be pretty close to Hollywood and there's always stuff to do there.

Also, as you'll hear a lot during this thread: Bring a car and be prepared to use it a lot.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:22 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
you will not want to live in chatsworth being a young single guy. you could easily commute from more appropriate neighborhoods like encino, sherman oaks, and studio city.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:25 PM

132 posts, read 426,747 times
I'm 23, from New York, and moved to California.

I don't see unless your job is making you move why you'd want to come out here. At least in this time. Your cost of living is going to be significantly more expensive and owning a car is a almost a must. Also keep in mind should you lose your job, that the job market out here is non-existant and you could very well be unemployed for a year or more.

Not to knock this out, but just trying to be realistic. Sometimes the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:31 PM

107 posts, read 338,408 times
My thoughts. There are NYC. people and there are LA. people. They have some things in common. But in general, NYC. people dont like LA. and vice versa. Now, just because your from NYC. dont mean your not an LA. guy. I would visit LA. for a week or two and tour around. I actually like LA. a lot. Its an amazingly diverse city and the weather is fantastic. Good luck.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:25 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,052,894 times
He already stated clearly that he liked California, and even Chatsworth.

To the OP: I think the posters above me are talking about Chatsworth being suburban - and hence, perhaps not as exciting as NYC. I have never been to Queens, and so am not knowledgeable about how urban/suburban it is.

We also do not know the nature of your job. It is true that California's economy is suffering badly just at present. Depending on the particular industry, it is possible that NYC's economy is healthier right now. Do your research, because it seriously isn't any fun to move and then lose your job.

All the best -

Old 08-26-2009, 02:23 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,900,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA310 View Post
I'm not New Yorker, but I've lived in NYC and I'm 20something and ughhh, do yourself a favor and stay where you are.

And the Valley of all places! Ugh. If you're coming to LA, find someplace on the Westside. I would be very depressed moving from NYC to Chatsworth.
would have to agree. i'm 26 and grew up here in LA, the nightlife here is good but def. not as good as NYC or, say, south beach (miami).

also if you're a young guy you really wanna be on the westside/southbay, there's just much more to do, not just better nightlife but also outdoorsy activities and the beaches are closer too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles