U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 02:01 PM

2 posts, read 3,120 times

Advertisements

Have been reading this forum for a while and hate to start a new thread on this subject but I rarely read specifics regarding salary etc.

I'm moving out to LA this fall from Washington DC. Big move and I can't deny that reading these forums has left me with some trepidation. I'm fine with the traffic, coming from DC, but am more concerned with where to live.

I've been out to LA three times this summer and would really like to make Manhattan Beach work but am open to any suggestions. I'm 28 years old, make $95k per year, and will be working in/on Bunker Hill downtown. Can I make a go of it out there on my salary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 02:19 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,967,272 times
Assuming you don't have huge amounts of personal debt, and assuming you're planning on renting, not buying, in Manhattan Beach, I think it's safe to say that you'll do just fine on that salary. If you have hopes of buying a house on the beach then you'll run into problems.

We made the move to LA from DC about 4 years ago (recently moved on due to a job transfer) and despite some worries we ended up absolutely loving the city. Good luck with your move, and I hope you love it, too.

Old 08-25-2009, 02:28 PM

2 posts, read 3,120 times
That's great news and thanks for the reply. I'd be interested in hearing what some of your worries were and how they compare to my own. I'm currently in an area just north of Georgetown and enjoy walking to the bars, stores etc. Correct me if I'm wrong but I feel like Manhattan Beach is somewhat similar. I'm also a bit nervous about if and when I ever purchase a home. It seems like a starter home runs about $500k in a decent area. Is this true?

Old 08-25-2009, 03:12 PM

7,141 posts, read 19,556,706 times
a starter home will be atleast $500k in a decent area of LA. i'd be more concerned with your commute for now, manhattan beach to downtown is to take you about an hour each way every day. however, you will have public transporation options if you so choose. considering many companies don't pay for parking downtown, you may be able to save youself a few bucks every month by not driving yourself. you may also consider the westside beaches (marina del rey, venice, or santa monica) for neighborhoods that are closer to downtown LA and still have plenty of walkable areas and night life.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:07 AM

14 posts, read 20,559 times
I am from MB, living in Bosotn (Mistake #45). You are going to adore the place. One of the best beach in the region, (Assuming you have the body). Perharps you've noticed. Ca is a different world. Good Luck. Enjoy life.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:55 AM

75,072 posts, read 87,503,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
a starter home will be atleast $500k in a decent area of LA. i'd be more concerned with your commute for now, manhattan beach to downtown is to take you about an hour each way every day. however, you will have public transporation options if you so choose. considering many companies don't pay for parking downtown, you may be able to save youself a few bucks every month by not driving yourself. you may also consider the westside beaches (marina del rey, venice, or santa monica) for neighborhoods that are closer to downtown LA and still have plenty of walkable areas and night life.
I was thinking exactly the way you are, Manhattan Beach is fine, but really not convenient to Bunker Hill at all. OP, you are used to traffic, that is so true, we lived in NO Va for 7 years and hubby commuted to D.C. part of the time car pooling and part using the metro. Even then, I think you can find what you are looking for in places much closer than Manhattan Beach. Think Pasadena for one, Eagle Rock, maybe or the Silver Lake area. As for buying, BrinSM is right, even $500,000 isn't going to get you much in any of the nicer beach areas.

Good luck, enjoy your new experience.

Nita

Old 08-31-2009, 08:31 AM

10,630 posts, read 23,967,272 times
If you're looking for something like (or similiar) to Georgetown you can find something closer than Manhattan Beach. I agree with Nita that you might want to consider Pasadena.

$500,000 won't go far by the beachs, but right now it could buy you a "starter" home in other nice neighborhoods.

Just to give you context about where we were coming from, we lived on the edge of Woodley Park, directly across from the National Zoo. I worked in Georgetown, and we didn't drive. We thought we'd move to Los Feliz (another possibility you could look into; lots of younger professional types and on the subway to get you downtown in no time, and a very nice, walkable neighborhood with lots of bars and restaurants) but ended up in Hollywood. We later moved to South Pasadena, a great area in the San Gabriel Valley. Pasadena itself is also on public transportation to downtown (which will save you a lot of money, and potentially some time); the Gold Line is light rail, and brings you to Union Station. Old Pasadena reminds me in a lot of ways of Georgetown. It's not by the beach, but it is in a beautiful location near the mountains. If you like Georgetown I'd definitely look into Pasadena.

I was worried about moving to LA because I had heard the stories about sprawl, the "one big suburb" line, the smog, etc. The smog isn't as bad as what I'd been led to believe (I think it was a lot worse in the past), the big suburb thing is a myth (it's just a different type of city, but in many parts it's very dense and definitely urban), and in my case I never did have to drive. You may still want to drive, but given that you'll be working in Bunker Hill you'll have a lot of options for public transportation for commuting purposes.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:41 AM

77 posts, read 276,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vick in a box View Post
I'm 28 years old, make $95k per year, and will be working in/on Bunker Hill downtown. Can I make a go of it out there on my salary?
I know people making a go of it living on $10 bucks per hour. Go for it!

Old 08-31-2009, 10:13 AM

75,072 posts, read 87,503,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angel View Post
I know people making a go of it living on $10 bucks per hour. Go for it!
and what kind of life could anyone have in Los Angeles on $10 an hour, get real..

As for the Op, sure I think she should do it. She can make it on her salary and she wants to re-locate, good for her, but $10 an hour. You can't live in NWA on $10 an hour. Your take home pay would almost not pay the rent. After all the taxes etc your take home would be about 1200 a month, that isn't counting things like medical insurance or anything else. Just witholding taxes, state, fed and SS and unemployment.

I would get the impression the op, making 95,000 doesn't plan on living a life of poverty.

Nita

Old 08-31-2009, 04:46 PM

304 posts, read 842,341 times
Yes you can do OK on $95,000.
Living in Manhattan Beach may cost your more than you need to spend for it's beachy location.
And MB to Bunker Hill is a bit of a drive.

I saw a 2 br condo for rent in Westwood by UCLA for $2200 recently which was decent.
And a cpouple nifty older condos right in Beverly Hills for under $2000.
It all depends on what your standards are housewise.

Generally speaking, if you are living in DC you can afford to live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or