U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2009, 10:28 PM

3 posts, read 4,003 times

Advertisements

Just graduated college and looking for a place near LA. After talking with the company i'll be working for they said most people tend to gravitate towards the coast. My work area can go as far south as San Diego if they so choose. Some suggestions given were Culver City, Santa Monica and Brentwood. Some friends have told me that Santa Monica is ideal for my age (22). After looking its obviously pretty expensive. So i'm looking for some advice for areas similar to and near Santa Monica.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 10:32 PM

7,141 posts, read 19,556,706 times
i actually think brentwood would be a better location for you. brentwood is slightly cheaper than santa monica and is filled with ridiculous amounts of ucla students/grads. you may also look into the west la neighborhood, which is directly south of brentwood.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:15 PM

5,113 posts, read 17,803,681 times
If you want something cheaper and still for your age, your best bet is to look south imho. From Malibu to Rolling Hills, the coast is pretty damn expensive. Coastal Long Beach and Huntington Beach are popular choices for people your age. And, of course, you mentioned as far south as San Diego, and San Diego itself is a really nice place. Of course, it all depends on your work area, assuming you'll be traveling based on what you've stated.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:18 PM

A good portion of my work will be in and around the greater LA area so i'd like to stay as near as possible. Do either of you know anything about Rancho Park. I'm really open to just about anything. I'm from the midwest so when I see some of the prices it blows my mind and i'm not sure what is good and whats not

Old 08-25-2009, 11:59 PM

Don't know anything about Rancho Park

What's your budget? What type of area are you looking for? We've got beach towns, urban hipster areas, suburbs, etc etc etc

Old 08-26-2009, 09:40 AM

I'd prefer to stay under 1k/month, but i'm starting to think that may be unrealistic. I guess I don't really have a specific desired location. I'd like to find some where that has some what of a night life as well as other attractions (museums, historical sites...)

Old 08-26-2009, 01:01 PM

Well, I'm not sure about West LA, but you can find some studio apts under 1k/mo in the coastal Long Beach area.. don't expect parking or amenities though.

Where I live in a good area next to long beach, a 2bd apt goes for 1400, and a 1bd for around 900-1200, but they are in limited supply. Downtown Long Beach will have a bigger selection of lofts and 1bd apts, as well the other coastal regions of the city

Old 08-26-2009, 03:45 PM

2,178 posts, read 4,958,553 times
There are a lot of Long Beach & San Pedro Posts on city data for affordability, the younger set & safety. But the south bay will be very tough for a safe street under $1k.

Safety as well as fashionableness is determined by neighborhood in LA. It's a broad subject & the forums abound with redundant answers.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or