Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2007, 05:24 PM

13 posts, read 55,213 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum. I just got a job in Pasadena, California and will be moving out there shortly. I've been to Los Angeles a few times on vacation, but I am not too familiar with the area. I'm looking for upscale areas to rent an apartment that will provide a reasonable commute to Pasadena. I'll be making 110k salary. Can anyone suggest more upscale areas that I should be looking into? I've done some research on areas like Santa Monica, Manhattan Beach and downtown LA but I have a feeling the commute from those areas would be horrendous. I'll continue to keep looking and appreciate your help!

Thanks *phalgun*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2007, 06:31 PM

31 posts, read 329,600 times
Yeah, Santa Monica and Manhattan Beach would not a be a fun commute - you'll have to go downtown. If you're young and/or single, and looking for a funky place to live, Downtown might be OK. There are a lot of gentrifying areas now that offer lofts, apartments, condos. The commute to Pasadena wouldn't be so bad from Downtown - you'll be going against traffic, for the most part. Coming home might be a drag - the 110 over the hill near Dodger Stadium ALWAYS slows down. But that would only be about a ten-fifteen minute delay for you, tops.

But, um, why not just live in Pasadena? On that kind of salary, you could live quite nicely, probably within walking distance of work. My MIL lives next to CalTech, very nice little area.

Old 04-28-2007, 07:09 PM

Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify, yes, I'm single and in my late 20's. I've thought about living in Pasadena but don't know too much about what areas within the city are nice. I've read that 'old town' has all the shopping, restaurants and entertainment. I'm very much into nightlife and an active social scene. The thought of walking to work while the weather is nice sounds appealing, but at the same time, I'd like to feel like I'm getting away from the office at night and on the weekends. Again, thanks for your input.

*phalgun*

Old 04-29-2007, 03:21 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,337,388 times
I lived in Pasadena and absolutely loved it. It has night life, culture, some say the best walkable downtown in the L.A. area, jaw-dropping architecture, gorgeous tree-lined streets and it's fairly reasonable compared to many other parts of L.A. I wouldn't commute from beach cities, that would be dreadful. Also worth a mention are Mt Washington 90065, South Pasadena, Altadena, and Eagle Rock. Old Pasadena is a destination in itself. I lived in and had a business there. I had 72 restaurants within walking distance.

Old 04-29-2007, 11:19 PM

644 posts, read 3,320,759 times
Why not just live in Pasadena? What else are you looking for? When living in Los Angeles, the key thing is to keep the commute as short as possible. Even short 10 miles drives across town can take an hour. I would opt to live in Pasadena and visit the beach on weekends.

Artie

Old 04-30-2007, 07:49 AM

Thanks for all the input! I am going to start looking in Pasadena as you all have suggested. It appears to be a nicer town than I first imagined. A Google search has provided a nice list of rental communities that have a large number of amenities included.

*phalgun*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles