U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 11:36 PM

1,714 posts, read 5,541,807 times

Advertisements

Does anyone happen to know when the Gold Line extension is going to open?

I see signs up for it everywhere, and have looked on metro's website... I'm wondering if any of you have heard.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 09:56 AM

1,162 posts, read 2,964,385 times
A blurb in the Downtown News this week said MTA is shooting for mid-October.

Also, found these shots via the transitcoalition site (http://transittalk.proboards.com/ind...ead=77&page=21 ).

They are of the Mariachi Plaza Station.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31267310@N05/ (broken link)

Old 08-26-2009, 10:05 AM

2,105 posts, read 2,451,598 times
Well I'm still wondering what DECADE the Foothill Extension (Pasadena-Montclair) section of it will be completed.

Since the LACMTA doesn't really care much for anything east of Rosemead Blvd, my guess is that the line will probably NEVER be built. Which of course underscores all the more why Gold Line Phase I was a mistake. That route SHOULD have been converted to Metrolink (conventional commuter rail) service as opposed to the expensive toy electric "train" that it is. An existing, perfectly usable rail system was in place yet systematically dismantled and sat unused for nearly a decade. And wound up costing many times the amount than needed.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:15 AM

1,162 posts, read 2,964,385 times
Well light and heavy rail ran down that route for a long time. I remember seeing Amtrak trains coming down from Pasadena, through Highland Park then into Union Station. But heavy rail no longer suits the area, not to me at at least. Most people along the stretch use the line for errands and work. Metrolink is basically a commuter line for people working downtown. I would like the see Metrolink service expanded so that I can use it more often during the weekend, but that hasn't happened yet. Heavy rail is also more expensive that hopping a streetcar. Most of the people I see on the Gold Line are students, downtown workers, tourists looking to hit Chinatown, Old Town Pas, locals getting out of the heat (myself included) etc.

That said, a Foothill Extension is gonna be a long time coming, especially when you have horrendous Westside traffic making a higher public profile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
Well I'm still wondering what DECADE the Foothill Extension (Pasadena-Montclair) section of it will be completed.

Since the LACMTA doesn't really care much for anything east of Rosemead Blvd, my guess is that the line will probably NEVER be built. Which of course underscores all the more why Gold Line Phase I was a mistake. That route SHOULD have been converted to Metrolink (conventional commuter rail) service as opposed to the expensive toy electric "train" that it is. An existing, perfectly usable rail system was in place yet systematically dismantled and sat unused for nearly a decade. And wound up costing many times the amount than needed.

Old 08-26-2009, 05:43 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,541,667 times
the east side line is coming soon. it was supposed to be in spring 09, then summer, now its fall. apparently the latest problem was the space between tracks being too wide or too narrow. dont recall. but it will be this year. i cant wait.

as for the ontario extension... pfff. thats the worst idea ever!!! so many communities within 5 to 10 miles of downtown are heavily populated and public trans dependant. why start on the outside? i say start on the inside and move outward.

get another north south line (crenshaw or somewhere on the west side. then one on the east side, possibly atlantic/los robles) get another east west line (slauson, serving south central, HP and surrounding cities.) AND connect to the airport.

then think of the outlaying cities. get the people IN LA moving first. the need is there, the ridership is there, especially on the south side. after that, they can move outwards.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:19 AM

735 posts, read 1,475,427 times
I think they've done a terrible job on most of the lines. Why is the gold line a horse shoe shape? It will take forever if you are going from Monterey Park to Pasadena for as close as it really is. There should be a lot of north-south lines connecting with east west lines. So many more communities could be served if they laid out the routes better.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:24 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,541,667 times
i agree.
for my buddies that live close to the terminus of the gold line at atlantic, it will make more sense taking the 260 bus north(or the atlanitic rapid) than going all the way into union station (on the gold line) to then head out to pasadena. i understand that it will get the east side in to downtown, but there are still many gaps. gaps that should be filled in where the ridership exists. ridership on the pa$adena leg of the gold line was no where near what it was on the east side leg of it, but it was built fir$t. that made no sense to me.

lots of things the MTA does make little sense sometimes.

but i do look forward to the new line opening up. the next step is connecting the blue line to union sta. fromt the south side in order to get to pas. riders would take the blue line to the red(or purple) line, to the gold line.

lets see what happens.
the most exciting potential route i have seen is a line going south of union station (almost parallel to santa fe) to huntington park (slauson junctn), then west down slauson till it winds its way TO the airport. not close to the airport, but TO the airport terminals. that line would connect with the [potential] crenshaw line. exciting, but probably 10 to 15 years away (if not more).

if i dont get to enjoy it, im sure my kids will...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgShred View Post
I think they've done a terrible job on most of the lines. Why is the gold line a horse shoe shape? It will take forever if you are going from Monterey Park to Pasadena for as close as it really is. There should be a lot of north-south lines connecting with east west lines. So many more communities could be served if they laid out the routes better.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:42 PM

1,714 posts, read 5,541,807 times
I like the gold line. I'm sorry its shape is displeasing to some, but it is what it is. I like to be able to take it downtown, and I'll be happy to be able to take it to Little Tokyo. It would be nice if eventually it could be a full circle from Monterey Park back up to Pasadena - it's true, that is a north-south leg that would make sense.

It's important to remember that LA is not flat - you have to arrange things around the hills, mountains, arroyos, etc. Sometimes when things seem aggravatingly arranged, all you have to do is look at the topography of the region, and suddenly things make sense.

I wonder whether it will eventually be possible to connect the Green Line in Norwalk, to the Metrolink station in Norwalk. That would be a help. And then take the Green Line all the way to LAX on its other end. Both those measures would make the Green Line waaay more relevant.

So October for the Gold Line extension, eh? That's not too long, I guess. I can't wait.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:50 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,936,811 times
I haven't followed the planning process on this very closely, but I'm assuming that when they designed the Gold Line extenion they weren't intending its primary purpose for people in Monterey Park to take it to Pasadena (although of course that's a nice option to have), but rather to make it easier for people along the extension route to quickly get into downtown. Maybe someday they'll add another link or make a circle or do something to fill in that north-south gap with something other than buses.

I disagree that the Gold Line should have been commuter rail. I took it frequently to get to work, to get to my son's daycare, sometimes to go to the doctor, and to go downtown (among other places). With the exception of going downtown, most of those trips were short rides, and I would not have paid higher metrolink prices to do them. A lot of fellow riders were also using it to go small jumps throughout the day, and it seems to be working pretty well as a non-commuter-only line. It would be nice if they ever got the Foothill extension in place, though, although I can see why the Westside would come first.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:02 PM

518 posts, read 1,318,022 times
The most ambitious plans call for the Gold Line to reach Ontario Airport. Metro currently operates only in LA County, so San Bernardino County would have to foot the bill for that last stretch.

My guess is that if the extension is built as envisioned (into the Inland Empire), it won't be for about 20 years. It would be the longest light rail line in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or