U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 03:49 PM

2,178 posts, read 4,953,630 times

Advertisements

interesting reviews here:
The Acting Corps - North Hollywood - North Hollywood, CA

if it were me... i'd think it best to find a short term place to live, take one boot camp course & network from thereon. maybe he'd find a swell room mate situation.

you know they say it's a crowded field... but there's always room at the top *smiles*

Kate

Last edited by sarahkate_m; 08-28-2009 at 03:50 PM.. Reason: sticky keys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 09:08 PM

2 posts, read 1,781 times
Hi there,

I attended the Acting Corps Bootcamp I & II starting in April of last year. As an actor, you are on your feet working almost the entire class. The teachers are really great, and the fact that the classes are 3 hours a day, 5 days a week is really great. It's the best way yo get the technique in that they teach in your body. The techniques taught at the Acting Corps can really be applied to both film and theatre. I'd be happy to answer any more of your questions, if you have them. Hope this was helpful.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:20 PM

9 posts, read 15,199 times
I went to the NYFA and while it was an interesting experience, it was very expensive for what it was. Also, the Oakwood Talluca Hills are nice residences but VERY VERY expensive but especially if you dont have a car, it's really helpful to stay there since it's literally across the street from the NYFA.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:24 PM

2 posts, read 1,781 times
Also, I think that the Acting Corps has a few residences that gives their students discounts, including the Oakwood, as well as a couple of other places. Have you talked to them?

Old 11-05-2009, 05:34 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,995,689 times
With ADHD how will your son take to the discipline of the film set?
The film world is not high school and multiple retakes can cost hundreds of thousands of $$.
Only the “stars” can afford to be problematic during a production.
My advice, for what its worth is to stay close to home, get an agent and get some professional work done and some sort of show-reel put together.
If you come to LA you will attend auditions until your money runs out and never get any real work
If your son is the typical “stars in his eyes” kid you see here all the time, on his own he will be very vulnerable to the world of empty promises that this place thrives upon.
I've seen it too many times to remember you see young girls and boys with sparkling eyes full of enthusiasm and new to town and then you see them again a year or so later across a restaurant or bar and quite often they have changed almost beyond recognition.
There are of course exceptions, although not many!

Old 11-06-2009, 04:30 PM

2,072 posts, read 2,712,722 times
To be honest, from what I learned, what you did in another state means very little to Directors and Producers out here unless you were maybe in a bunch of New York Films made by Robert DInero or something. As far as this town is concerned, everyone is at square one when they get here and its not a nice square to be on. The car is almost mandatory. In a place like NYC, the whole business operates within a 30 block radius, out here, you may have to be seen in Santa Monica, Burbank, Studio city, Hollywood, Los ANgeles, ect and these places can take 2 hours + using the transit system. He should definately look immediately into getting some kind of job. The mother of a friend of mine gave him 5k to move to LA and he was back home in 6 weeks.
Like someone else said, it would be best to come and take a look around and make a decisionbased on that because a dream out here can quickly turn into a nightmare

Old 11-06-2009, 09:27 PM

164 posts, read 550,675 times
(1) He needs a day job. He may very well end up making a full-time living as an actor, but there's a 99.9% chance it won't happen within the first 3-5 years. In fact, it takes most people around 10 years before they know where they really stand. If he's just 19, he either needs to learn a trade, or go to college so he can find a way to make a living. And those that have been able to make a full-time living? Well, they are folks who may get a series regular for a few years, and then nothing for a few years, then a national commercial to get them by, etc. Even for the "successful" actors, some years you make a crapload, others you make close to zilch.

(2) No one here gives a rats ass how many musicals, plays, films, etc. he's been in. He starts from ZERO here. If it's hard for New York actors from Julliard, Yale, etc. with broadway credits to get decent agents here (let alone even get work)...

(3) He has to be careful not to be taken advantage of here. Yes women can be in a vulnerable place here, but so are the young men (remember that more than half of the Hollywood types from producers to directors to casting directors to writers to fellow actors to acting teachers are gay, so sexual exploitation cuts both ways).

(4) To repeat (1), he needs to find a stable income. Yes, it's admirable to face long odds with a sense of "I can do it!" but there's a difference between courage and foolishness when it comes to HOW one does that. Don't be foolish and naive. If he really wants to be an actor, prepare for the long haul by making sure he can take care of himself financially until the big break comes (which can happen next year, 5 years from now, 10 years from now, or never -- and *when* that happens is beyond your son's control even if he were to work his ass off and do all the right things).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles