Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2007, 12:47 PM

2 posts, read 20,223 times

Advertisements

Hi,

When I moved from my apartment, my landlord charged me for an additional day beyond my move out date. All my notices (2) indicate my move out date. I have witnesses also that can attest to when I was gone. How do I go about getting him to refund me for the day he wrongly charged me? This was over 3 weeks ago. Isn't he by law required to send me my refund, plus receipts within 3 weeks from my move-out date? He also sent me a phony repair reciept. Is there an agency I can file a complaint? Some sort of Los Angeles housing authority? What sort of proof would I need to supply that I was out when i said I was out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2007, 12:56 PM

723 posts, read 2,999,471 times
Small claims court. There's no where to complain except the law. He should wise up once it hits the mitigation stage (before it goes to court). Seems like a lot of work for a day's worth of rent.

Old 04-29-2007, 01:02 PM

2 posts, read 20,223 times
Default small claims

yeah, that's why i wanted to avoid going to court. I am speaking about $60. and thank you for your reply.

Old 04-29-2007, 01:34 PM

644 posts, read 3,321,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownhombre View Post
Hi,

When I moved from my apartment, my landlord charged me for an additional day beyond my move out date. All my notices (2) indicate my move out date. I have witnesses also that can attest to when I was gone. How do I go about getting him to refund me for the day he wrongly charged me? This was over 3 weeks ago. Isn't he by law required to send me my refund, plus receipts within 3 weeks from my move-out date? He also sent me a phony repair reciept. Is there an agency I can file a complaint? Some sort of Los Angeles housing authority? What sort of proof would I need to supply that I was out when i said I was out?
Downtownhomre,

By law, the landlord needs to give youa refund on deposits within 21 days of your vacating the apartment along with an itemized list of any withholdings. If you feel some of your refund is missing, you need to tell the landlord why you think the deductions were improper, ask for your money back, and request valid receipts for any repairs. If you do this over the phone, immediately follow it up with a letter. Send the letter certified mail. If that doesn't work, then you may want to follow up with mediation or go to small claims. Get a copy of the California Tenant's handbook -- a pdf version is available on the web. If you go to court, the landlord may be responsible for court filing fees as well as additional damages and fines.

I find that usually people do back down why you are professional and persistent. Remember, never get angry, yell, or lose your cool.

Artie

Old 12-22-2007, 09:36 PM

4 posts, read 32,607 times
All is good and fair advice, but the real question is ; ' Why do renters have to go to small claims court to claim their rights?'.
In other states there are laws and rent contol, here in Los Angeles we have rent STABILIZATION, which hardly does anything these days, and stabilizes the rent to '' market value" which means that you and I, the renters, are charged and arm and a leg for a mediocre apartment.
Us Angelenos must reclaim our rights and stand up the city council members and say we will not be abused any longer.
I had to take my landlord to court, and I will say it was an ORDEAL.
First he had a phony address listed on the rent registation, so there goes 35 more dollars.Then when I refiled and finally found the correct address, he changed the court date.
When we went court and I won, he objected, so we went to court again and I won again, and now he is calling for a ' MOTION TO VACATE'.
Sound riduculous?
For 500.00 of my money I am suffering. Now that 500 is nothing to him, his family owns about 30 buildings. And I left my unit n perfect condition, I even spakeled all the nail holes, and vacuumed, it was pristine.
So why is this happening to me and others?
Because the city of L.A HAS BEEN CORRUPTED, rent stabilization used to handle security deposits,they used to inspect units, there was no ELLIS ACT to evict tenants for no reason other than greed.
I urge everyone to take a good look at what has happend to our city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles