Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 04:02 PM

1 posts, read 15,072 times

Advertisements

I was driving Beverly Blvd, heading East in Los Angeles.
I made a left turn on Western and Red light camera flashed as soon as I moved my car to make a left turn.

As I remember there is no sign for no-left-turn. I was on the left lane and the light was green when I did left turn. Only one thing I am worrying is that before I got into the intersection, I made a lane change quickly to left lane and it had sold white lane.

Am I going to get a ticket for changing lanes? or do you think I did something wrong? Does every red light camera flash mean tickets? or it just take photo for every cars who are making a left turn?

I got a ticket (running stop sign) a month ago. I shouldn't have any tickets for another 18 months.

Help!!!!!!!

Last edited by cityhelp; 09-01-2009 at 04:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 04:15 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,767,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityhelp View Post
Does every red light camera flash mean tickets?
To this I can say definitely not. If your face is not clearly visible in the photograph, then no ticket will be issued.

If you do receive a ticket, it should clearly identify what law you broke, and provide photographic evidence to that effect.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:24 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,449,684 times
There's an officer who reviews footage (in Arizona) who will make the final determination whether you broke the law or not. It doesn't sound like you did. No, a flash doesn't automatically mean a ticket. If you do receive a citation it sounds like you have grounds to fight it. The video footage will be available online to look at once you get a citation number, but you probably won't get a ticket. Good luck.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:34 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,417,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityhelp View Post
Does every red light camera flash mean tickets?

I've been flashed twice making left turns. Once in Memphis and once in Hollywood, neither time did I get a ticket. I'm pretty sure that they throw out the questionable tickets.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:50 PM

304 posts, read 931,076 times
If you get another ticket go to one of those driving schools and make it go away.

I thought the intersection cameras were for red light running and hogging the intersection which is red light rnning in slow motion.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:02 PM

52 posts, read 196,651 times
I've been flashed a few times in Culver City, e.g. making a left turn during rush hour from Duquesne onto Washington and having to wait out the few oncoming cars nearly running the red light so making me sit in the middle of the intersection when its red.
Never did see a ticket.
But if Bunjee is correct I am relieved that a human does review the footage because those dang cameras have no clue about LA traffic conditions and "accepted" habits people have here, which would be illegal just about anywhere else.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:21 PM

723 posts, read 1,633,824 times
I've seen those things flash on me many times, and I' havn't received a ticket yet. I think in one case I went through a short yellow light, but for a red light violation the camera needs to have two clear pictures. One of your car behind the crosswalk with the light red, and one with your car past the crosswalk. Your face and plate also have to be clear.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:43 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,449,684 times
OK, if the officer reviewing the footage decides to cite you for the infraction, this is what you'll receive. (I got one, and since I was driving someone else's car and was in fact guilty of a California stop, I acknowledged the notice and was returned a citation since I didn't want to ignore it and risk my friend being stuck with possible registration problems.)

You'll get the notice with photographic evidence, including the picture of yourself behind the wheel--mine was blurry but it was me--, a photo of the license plate, and a photo of the vehicle during the violation.

If you sign and return the notice, you'll receive the citation about 2 weeks later. It will be signed by an officer and will include a website where you can go online and look at video footage. I think the camera flash is triggered by speed and motion detection at which point the video camera is engaged. In my case the footage was incontrovertable. $464. Oh, well.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:23 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,548,973 times
Lightbulb OP can only

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffavail View Post
If you get another ticket go to one of those driving schools and make it go away.

I thought the intersection cameras were for red light running and hogging the intersection which is red light rnning in slow motion.
make it go away if OP's record is clean enough. OP already stated having a recent ticket.

when appropriate: online traffic school rulz.

Kate

Old 09-02-2009, 08:51 PM

95 posts, read 281,233 times
I got a $400 ticket for running a red light a couple of months ago. The fee was painful, but I went to online traffic school at the Improv Comedy Club and it was taken off my record.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles