Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2009, 09:40 AM

4 posts, read 8,061 times

Advertisements

I am a female student at USC. I live in the mid-Wilshire area and I will have to be in Pasadena a couple times a week for an internship so I need to be able to get around somewhat. However, I do not have a car and I currently use the bus system. I have class until the late afternoon, and it will eventually get dark around the time/before I get home. I do not want to have to rely on classmates for rides all the time and I do even know that it will be possible, given changed and now different schedules. Does anyone have any thoughts on getting around once it has gotten dark in the winter? Would the buses be safe after dark (even if it is still early in the evening in winter--around 5:00 or 6:00)? I would like a car but do not think I can afford one. Any thoughts on scooters as a way of getting around? I want one but am apprehensive about driving one here in LA. Would it be safe? Any other thoughts on getting around or ways to do so would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 10:30 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
The buses are safe after dark.

I used to live in Hollywood and work in Pasadena. I took the 780 Rapid Bus every day to get to and from work. It was about the same time as taking the Red Line to Gold Line, but it was easier because I got on, sat down, read my book, and didn't have to transfer. In your case, given that you're in mid-Wilshire, it will probably be easier to just take the train and then transfer to a bus or walk. I took public transportation to many different parts of the city, and other than the random drunk or annoying person never ran into problems. The biggest problem you're going to run into in early evening is going to be crowds, as that's a peak commuter travel time, but then again, you'd also run into that if you were driving, too.

In either case, you're realistically going to be far safer on the bus or train than you would driving around LA as a new scooter driver.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:52 PM

273 posts, read 655,358 times
As long as you are traveling during the peak periods, you have plenty of company. Darkness has little to do with it. Play it safe and smart and you will do fine.

BTW, I would keep a reserve fund hidden well on your person in case something tells you it's time to take a cab.

Riding a scooter from MW to Pasadena is insane. If you don't have any transportation, you really are saving 100's of $ a month, so a cab now and then is definitely affordable if the situation warrants.

As time goes on, you may find a car owner's co-op that might work for you. I hear about these but know nothing. It's a great idea for those that only need a car a couple times a week. I don't know if the idea is viable right now, today. Try and find out.

I'd be sure to investigate thoroughly before signing up.

Here is an example: Car Sharing: CarSharing Programs; CarShare Network; Car Share North America, Car Sharing Canada
I am in no way endorsing this company. Just showing that this type of thing exists.

Best to you.

Old 09-05-2009, 06:30 PM

4 posts, read 8,061 times
Thank you for the replies! I appreciate it, and its been really helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles