Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 07:51 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times

Advertisements

That would be me.

I am SO FREAKING cheap it isn't even funny. OTOH, I'm not from L.A. originally.

However, my husband is...and he is cheaper than ANYONE I know. (No, he wouldn't be offended to read that. He'd be surprised he didn't say it first. Usually, he does.)

I'm dying over here, never turning on the air conditioning until 8:00 at night. Even last Friday when it was 107. Yesterday I (gasp) turned the air on at only 6:00. This only because my lungs feel like there are glass in them from having the windows open for some breeze (any breeze, please please god) during all these fires, and my head was pounding scarily from many months of relentless heat.

So there's an actual question here, making the title misleading...but...I have about a 1200-sq.ft. house (rather small; I like that, though). I usually have the air on from 8PM-9AM, set fairly high, like 76-ish.

Last month our electric bill was under $200. If I spent really hot days like this from now on until it cools down, running the air all day instead, what kind of a bill do you think I'd have? Would it be outrageous?

Does anybody here have about my size house, and have the air on (or have it set at a certain temp to go on automatically) and can tell me roughly what your bill is in these summer months?

I would be very grateful. Because I just can't stand the thought of one more year this way. I can't...I feel like I'm dying. Sounds melodramatic but I mean, try it for three months while being very physical with housework and kids and you'll see what I mean.

I do have fans, BTW. Blowing 107-degree air around doesn't help a heap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 07:56 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Let's say you have a two ton A/C (24,000 BTU) and SEER of 12. Let's say your average power rate is $0.20/kWhr.

SEER = BTU/KW = 12; so KW = 2.

So, unless I screwed up on my math, that's $0.40/hr if the A/C is running continuously (which it probably won't as it will cycle).

PS. You and your boyfriend can't hold a candle to me as being cheap.

How about mailing a local letter using a two cent stamp? Just switch the addresses (sender and recipient) and the letter is processed as "Return To Sender" which means it will go where you wanted it to go.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:00 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
I am probably as cheap/frugal as you, if not more. I live in the High Desert and I will run my AC for a few hours when I get home from work and sometimes when I go to bed because it can still be hot out. But not always - sometimes I just turn on a bunch of fans. My electric bill was $6 in June and $12 in July. My house is 1945 square feet. I signed-up for the program offered by SCE that shuts off my AC during periods of high demand. They've only shut it off once so far this year. You should look into it. The installation takes about 30 minutes, it is free, and they send someone to do it for you.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:13 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
We have a 850 sq home, we keep it at 78 degrees and our power costs $50 a month. We are near Long Beach, we replaced the windows with double panes. Energy efficient deep freeze and two fridges, all lights have fluorescent bulbs.

I replaced the old AC units that were 35 years old. A 220 volt unit in the living room, and a tiny 110 volt to cool the bedrooms on the north side.

Our gas bill is high at $9 a month.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:28 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,768,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
How about mailing a local letter using a two cent stamp? Just switch the addresses (sender and recipient) and the letter is processed as "Return To Sender" which means it will go where you wanted it to go.
Ha, I used to do this all the time when I was in college. But why use a stamp at all? It works perfectly well without one, or at least it did back then.

Another great money-saving trick was to call someone collect, and when the operator asked if they would accept the charges, I would answer for them, in an altered voice, "yes I will." It worked 75% of the time. Unfortunately I don't think collect calls are handled by a live operator anymore.

Old 09-05-2009, 01:05 AM

Thanks, everyone!

I heard of the return-to-sender trick in the 70s but never used it.

Are you all sure you're paying such tiny electric bills?

I am definitely checking into these special plans...I didn't know they existed. I found this. I'm calling on Monday!

Thank you!!! I really can not bear another summer like this one. I'm so tired and so, so sick. I'm no wimp, I can put up with a lot (trust me--I broke my pelvis having my second baby and was limping around with a walker that very morning), but 90-100 degree days for three months or so just stretch my personal limits a little too far, for whatever reason. I just can't deal any more.

I even told my husband that next year, I'd like to take the kids away somewhere for the summer. I know that would be even more expensive but I just can't take it.

I will call the electric co...thank you!!!

Old 09-05-2009, 01:18 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Thanks, everyone!

I heard of the return-to-sender trick in the 70s but never used it.

Are you all sure you're paying such tiny electric bills?

I am definitely checking into these special plans...I didn't know they existed. I found this. I'm calling on Monday!

Thank you!!! I really can not bear another summer like this one. I'm so tired and so, so sick. I'm no wimp, I can put up with a lot (trust me--I broke my pelvis having my second baby and was limping around with a walker that very morning), but 90-100 degree days for three months or so just stretch my personal limits a little too far, for whatever reason. I just can't deal any more.

I even told my husband that next year, I'd like to take the kids away somewhere for the summer. I know that would be even more expensive but I just can't take it.

I will call the electric co...thank you!!!
Yes.

Old 09-05-2009, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Yes.
Well then...may I live with you?

I don't eat much, I'm a expert housecleaner and my husband could probably use the break. (PMS, don't'cha know.)

Old 09-05-2009, 03:00 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
(PMS, don't'cha know.)
That ain't exactly helping your chances.....

Old 09-05-2009, 05:43 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbunniii View Post
Ha, I used to do this all the time when I was in college. But why use a stamp at all? It works perfectly well without one, or at least it did back then.

Another great money-saving trick was to call someone collect, and when the operator asked if they would accept the charges, I would answer for them, in an altered voice, "yes I will." It worked 75% of the time. Unfortunately I don't think collect calls are handled by a live operator anymore.
This is the bible of beating the system. I've read every page.

Steal This Book - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(image is considered Fair use under the US Copyright law)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles