Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 09:54 AM

8 posts, read 56,839 times

Advertisements

Okay guys, I'm new here, so I hope I'm posting correctly and all!

I'm new in LA, and am trying to get into the nightlife here. Just wondering if anyones got any crazy stories about life in LA, I really wanna get a feel for the place -- especially the strip, anyone got any experiences of that they wanna share? I went by the Roxy last night, and wow, that was an experience.

Also, as a complete newcomer to the scene, its pretty overwhelming. Did anyone else experience that?

Any general madness, craziness, mayhem, dangers, shout them out! Make me laugh, make me cry. Feel free!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 03:39 PM

128 posts, read 461,609 times
a well known black actor was known to travel on the strip to buy services from prostitutes.. What people didn't know was the while he fronted as a family man in his movies and on camera, he had a fetish for transvestite hookers. He was caught in the early hours of the morning with a tranny and this actor gave the officer the excuse that he was " giving her a ride home"

Old 05-01-2007, 03:49 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,725,586 times
I use to cruise Sunset on weekends to check out the cars. Never was a party person or anything, but wanted to show my car off and see others.

I remember in 2000-01 time frame, blacks use to line the streets in certain sections hanging out, selling their music CDs and having a good time. I never seen trouble.
Then the next year(season-summer 02-03) I went back and the blacks were gone and it was ALL hispanics. They were drinking, yelling F the police and throwing up gang signs.
One time a truck in front of me was hit with all the beer cans, bottles etc the other people on the sidewalk had. The driver got out and a HUGE fight of about 20 hispanics broke up RIGHT in front of my car that I cherished. Failing at my attempt to back up because of the bumper to bumper traffic for miles...I was forced to watch and luckily nothing happened to MY car.
Never had much interest in going back since.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:39 PM

652 posts, read 2,803,590 times
A fellow I once knew did lines with Axl Rose on a pinball machine at the Roxy in the late 80's.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:32 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,604,880 times
Try this thread, there's some of my vintage photos of Hair Metal decadence on the Sunset Strip.
//www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...set-strip.html

Old 05-02-2007, 06:53 AM

8 posts, read 56,839 times
Hey guys, thanks for taking the time to shout your stories out - gave me a real smile, I'll tell you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candid Canuck View Post
a well known black actor was known to travel on the strip to buy services from prostitutes.. What people didn't know was the while he fronted as a family man in his movies and on camera, he had a fetish for transvestite hookers. He was caught in the early hours of the morning with a tranny and this actor gave the officer the excuse that he was " giving her a ride home"
Seedy or what?! Man thats hillarious - 'Officer, I was just giving the chick a ride! Seriously man!'

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgee View Post
I use to cruise Sunset on weekends to check out the cars. Never was a party person or anything, but wanted to show my car off and see others.

I remember in 2000-01 time frame, blacks use to line the streets in certain sections hanging out, selling their music CDs and having a good time. I never seen trouble.
Then the next year(season-summer 02-03) I went back and the blacks were gone and it was ALL hispanics. They were drinking, yelling F the police and throwing up gang signs.
One time a truck in front of me was hit with all the beer cans, bottles etc the other people on the sidewalk had. The driver got out and a HUGE fight of about 20 hispanics broke up RIGHT in front of my car that I cherished. Failing at my attempt to back up because of the bumper to bumper traffic for miles...I was forced to watch and luckily nothing happened to MY car.
Never had much interest in going back since.
That must have been pretty heavy -- man, I'd be so scared for my car (not my life, lol!) I wonder if its still taken over by the same gangs now? Do you know if theres a high gang presence on the strip now, or just as much as anywhere else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by James T View Post
A fellow I once knew did lines with Axl Rose on a pinball machine at the Roxy in the late 80's.
Thats insane, really?!? GNR are one of my favourite bands of all time. Axl Rose is nuts! I went to gig at Wembley when he came on 2hrs late because he wanted to order a pizza. Rock N'Roll!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
Try this thread, there's some of my vintage photos of Hair Metal decadence on the Sunset Strip.
//www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...set-strip.html
Thanks alot for the link, I'll check it out!

Old 05-02-2007, 05:36 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,725,586 times
The following year they had it all over the news that they were impounding "cruisers" and really enforcing the no cruising zone laws.
I never went back after the incident. Wasn't worth it, I stick to the car shows.

Old 06-23-2007, 03:09 AM

3 posts, read 20,563 times
Thumbs up LA Nites and Sunset Strip

Hey there,

I thought I would respond after reading your thread on LA and The Sunset Strip. It can be overwhelming, especially to someone who has never been there or experienced it before. What I found when I was there was in certain clubs, it was dead with only some people there. It was good and I was able to talk to people more. There was tons of traffic and congestion with people cruising. The streets weren't packed like in the old days from what I heard. It seemed more of a hang-out place from what I saw or did. There's the ghostly remains going on there and what could become of it. I think it's going to take a major band or bands to get record companies to follow-up. Maybe having something like that City Walk would make it better. It seemed more like what it was like after the party to me. I did enjoy it though and would like to go back. Another thing is a girl who I talked to on the phone and never met has died since then. She was in The Runaways(Sandy West)and was part of all that scene. I miss her and wished I could have been with her on The Strip

Rockfully,
Lance

Old 06-23-2007, 08:53 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,297,179 times
My first experience with going to "the strip" was about 30 years back (oops, I'm giving away my age). I lived in Big Bear Lake, CA., a small village up in the mountains. Some of us kids got brave and decided it was time for us to see the strip. Of course none of our parents would have ever allowed us to go so we had to sneak. Los Angeles was that "bad-place" and it was off limits to all of us!! Now remember, that was many years ago! As we crused the strip I saw several homeless pulling soda cups out of the trash cans and drinking from them, many prostitudes, and plenty of very strange (people?) It was a bit frightening!! Only have gone back as an adult to see some shows...like at the Roxi. Not very fond of the area or the memories!!! Nothing would be a suprise there!!!

Last edited by cynwldkat; 06-23-2007 at 09:53 AM..

Old 06-24-2007, 12:27 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,780,535 times
The Sunset Strip is a pathetic shell of its former self.

It used to be a blast, but is kinda boring now. Plus there's no place to park for less than an arm and a leg. Too bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles