Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 12:41 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,763,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkins Well View Post
Which district do you think is the most overrated?
Late to the show, but here goes:

All of them. Overrated and overpriced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 02:41 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,628,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
valley - from Reseda to N. Hollywood = overated, overpriced, overcrouded, overheated, smoggy mess.
A little bit of nitpick....and not that its a good area...its not, but this part of the Valley is no longer overpriced. Move in condition SFR's in Reseda and Van Nuys are now under $350K with fixers under $300K. In N. Hollywood north of Saticoy, most are well under $300K.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:03 AM

2,362 posts, read 2,996,195 times
Quote:
Wow, there are so many its really hard to pick just One! I have to use three general regions:

coastal - Venice = one of the the most grundy, run down, overpriced impacted coastal areas in the state
general - West side all the way from West LA - Westwood - BH - West Hollywood = Big Ego, rude, low substance capital of the state
valley - from Reseda to N. Hollywood = overated, overpriced, overcrouded, overheated, smoggy mess.
Oh no you didn't.

Old 09-12-2009, 12:30 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkins Well View Post
Oh no you didn't.
Sorry Perkins, as they say beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I know for some Venice has its charms. LOL...

I actually appraised a house in Venice where a movie mogul lived. He had the most amazing facade in the front which made it look like a complete run down piece of junk. Then as soon as you walked in he had all the latest, expensive, high quality features, contruction, art work, etc... It was hilarious. But it was a great crime deterant system. No need for the high fences, guards, elaborate security systems of Brentwood, Beverly Hills, etc... which his high rolling counterparts were deeply invested in.

Old 09-12-2009, 03:15 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
All of the above except overrated; because of all of the above except overrated.

Most of the east San Fernando Valley hasn't been super desirable since the 1940s.

Old 09-12-2009, 03:45 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
Quote:
coastal - Venice = one of the the most grundy, run down, overpriced impacted coastal areas in the state
I can see how people don't like it since it's not the same as Santa Monica or similar places that have SFRs with perfectly manicured lawns and brand new homes, but everyone who moves to Venice moves there because of that reason...well at least the VB area that everyone knows. Not so much the other areas.

I have to agree with West LA. I can't stand it.

I'd like to nominate Culver City, the Miracle Mile District, and Hawthorne for the most underrated "areas" of LA since CC and Hawthorne aren't part of LA.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:03 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkate_m View Post
beverly hills

.... not sure if it counts as a 'district' but that's my impression.

kate
But Beverly Hills is not in Los Angeles, I wonder if the poster means in the city or anywhere in the burbs. If the entire area is what we are judging, West L.A. period, all of it. When we lived in Aracadia, Pasa, Alt and Glendora we got so tired of all the media hype about the west side, nothing ever about the east, never restaurant reviews, cultural reviews, stories about the beautiful homes in Pasa and Altadena, nothing. It was like it didn't exist.

Nita

Old 09-13-2009, 10:31 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,399 times
I would have to say the Westside, largely because the traffic so horrendous. I dread going anywhere near it. I AM, however looking forward to taking the Expo Line down there so I can hit Junior's.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:15 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,298,761 times
The Westside is super overrated. Can't stand the snootiness of that place.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:19 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
Silver Lake seems a little overrated to me. Average transit options, average walkability, expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles