Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2007, 03:31 PM

786 posts, read 4,733,123 times

Advertisements

I have a number of friends who would love to get out of Southern CA and a new start in a place with a lower standard of living and quality of life. How to do that is a problem. They have so many ties to the community like jobs, furniture and homes.

Tell us your story. How did you finally escape from Southern California and what was the straw the broke the camels back that convinced you to finally make the move? How did you find a place to live? How did you decide where to move? How much did the move cost you? Details, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 04:54 PM

157 posts, read 828,692 times
Hi Dingler,

I'm not sure exactly what you want to know, but here is our story. My husband grew up in Pittsburgh, but his entire family moved to Los Angeles when they were older kids. He has always wanted to go back, but because I was born here (in fact I'm 5th generation California) and both of our entire families were here I couldn't see leaving. However, a few of things happened to finally change my mind. First, we sold our condo and then couldn't get back in to the real estate market even though we had made a decent amount, in a neighborhood with decent schools. So we decided to rent in a neighborhood with a great school, but unfortuantely "great" was only ok for a gifted kid because of this crazy open court curriculum. Then, last summer I spent literally hours getting my kids to their respective summer programs and I snapped. So, we rented a short-term furnished apartment (called a coorporate rental) in Pittsburgh in a neighborhood with some of the best schools in the country in a state with a strong gifted mandate and tried it out for a month. We fell in love with the community and bought a house and are moving this summer. Hope that helps!

Old 05-01-2007, 06:45 PM

1,082 posts, read 3,780,072 times
My husbands company is paying for the move, took us years to get it, but that is how we are doing it.
MBG

Old 05-01-2007, 11:36 PM

652 posts, read 2,804,345 times

Old 05-06-2007, 06:35 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,496,150 times
We looked around on the internet and found a place we really liked and bought a piece of land several years ago and last year we sold out house in California and now we live in northern part of Arkansas in the Ozarks and just loev it, and we are building a house on a lake....

We would never want to move back to California, other then for a good laugh.... The house we are building in 3 times as big and half the price of what we sold ours for... we love it here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: